So I have made my own practice routine and it has some exercises to a metronome.

For example

|--1-2-3-4--...----9-10-11-12---

there is much more to it and many other exercises than that but you get the point.

i have been doing the entire routine once in the morning and then at another point during the day. now i know the more you play the better, but what i'm wondering is it really worth doing it twice a day? i mean should it conceivably work "twice as fast" as doing it only once per day? it just takes a lot of time and i'm wondering if it is really necessary.
Earth without ART, is just Eh...
it takes quite a bit of time, but ive been doing part of steve vai's ten hour workout from guitar world for 3 weeks and ive had really good results so far. I only do it once a day though for an hour. Just try to find as many exercises as you can that will make your fingers move any way possible
Short answer, yes, practicing more will net faster results. But the practice needs to concentrate on your weak points and be regimented so that there's a way to measure progress. Metronome work is part of a good practice regimen.
The simple answer to your question: how good do you want to be technically? If your goal is to be amazing technically, then yes, it is absolutely worth it. If you enjoy songwriting, recording, learning theory, jamming, improvising, etc, then perhaps your time would be better spent splitting up your practice time accordingly.

Let's face it, even 10 hours a day isn't enough time to learn and practice everything there is to know, learn, write, and figure out with music. It's a sort of neverending journey. The best thing you can do for yourself is to figure out what it is you enjoy doing and want to be able to do with music as a whole and then set incremental goals to get yourself there.
Last edited by PSM at Jul 24, 2009,
Remember - Practicing exercises just makes you better at exercises. Speed is just a byproduct of accuracy.
i know. but it's a lot easier to practice 1, 2, 3 and 4 note per string "generic" exercises and have that technique carry over to whenever you need to pick 1, 2, 3 and 4 note per string riffs. it's not quite up to the speed i can do to a chromatic exercise, but eventually it gets there. i don't have time to practice every possible way to pick in every combination. so i do the exercises.
Last edited by metalzeppelin at Jul 24, 2009,
I'd say, based on you question, it's NOT worth practicing it twice a day by the sound of it.
Maybe not even once.

There's no such thing as "metronome practice". If you want to work on your rhythm, the metronome is a great aid. You can use it with whatever you happen to be practicing. I don't think you're quite getting the point of why it's a good aid. If you're viewing it as a chore, you're probably not paying attention to what it can help you with.
i don't believe the word "chore" showed up in any of my posts. the second time around for the day seems like a chore, but the first time isn't.
i use it to get faster.
my rhythm is good. i don't need it for that nor do it use it entirely for that.
it's mainly for speed.

i'm not sure what you are getting at or how you interpreted my question the way you did.
Ask yourself this: When are you going to use 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10... in your music?

Practise something musical, make up a musical phrase and practise it to a metronome.

Do it once a day, and split your time between technique and actually writing music.
Last edited by griffRG7321 at Jul 24, 2009,
Quote by griffRG7321
Ask yourself this: When are you going to use 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10... in your music?

Practise something musical, make up a musical phrase and practise it to a metronome.

Do it once a day, and split your time between technique and actually writing music.

Sesame Street wrote a whole song about that
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by griffRG7321

That's not actually what it is, but yes I've already realized that. I saw a video from paul gilbert and he said when he first started he thought everything had to be up strokes so his left hand was pretty fast and his picking was lagging behind it. well i started with all downstrokes and i'm in the same boat. my left hand is well above my picking hand so it can always keep up. i'm trying to build up my picking speed basically. also, i've compiled my own practice routine from steve vai, john petrucci, et.c and i'm taking their advice over yours on that. i am probably only going to do it once a day though.
Quote by metalzeppelin
That's not actually what it is, but yes I've already realized that. I saw a video from paul gilbert and he said when he first started he thought everything had to be up strokes so his left hand was pretty fast and his picking was lagging behind it. well i started with all downstrokes and i'm in the same boat. my left hand is well above my picking hand so it can always keep up. i'm trying to build up my picking speed basically. also, i've compiled my own practice routine from steve vai, john petrucci, et.c and i'm taking their advice over yours on that. i am probably only going to do it once a day though.

I bought john petrucci's rock discipline DVD and i thought none of the exercises were good at all, apart from the bit at the back about chord formation.

If you're going to make up your own practise routine, make up some licks that you can use and practise them with a metronome. Or even better, practise some paul gilbert licks if you want to get your picking hand up to scratch.