im getting a 6505 combo soon, and i was wondering is there anyway to record it without having to buy a microphone/mixing board, all that stuff? could i use the speaker out as a line out, meaning into my pc? could i put a pocket pod in the effects loop, and use its line out into the pc?

if these suggestions are completely incorrect and u think im a moron, could u suggest the easiest, fairly cheap microphone, recording setup? im not looking for band demo quality, just something to mess around with. thanks all.
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
PRS SE Custom 24 (GFS Crunchy PATs)
PRS SE Singlecut (Evo/Air Norton)
1989 Starforce (GFS PowerRails)
Morley Tremonti Power Wah, TS7 (808-Mod), Pitchblack, Boss DD-3, DE FnC
download audacity and use a rockband/guitar hero microphone.
LTD JD 600
Fender Celtic Esquire
Ibanez RGA7
Schecter S-1 Elite
Line 6 FM4
KORG Pitchblack
Digitech Whammy
Dunlop Wah
Ibanez TS-9
ISP Decimator
Peavey 6505 Halfstack
Marshall 1960b Cab
Line 6 POD X3 Live
You could use the effects loop send as a line out. It will sound pretty bad though, but might be ok for messing about.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
Quote by WSR66
download audacity and use a rockband/guitar hero microphone.

NO!!! I tried that once. It sounded horrible. The only thing that Rock Band microphones really do is pick up changes in pitch.
Quote by Invader Jim
The questions people ask here makes me wonder how the TS's dress themselves in the morning and can shower without drowning...

Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Mesa Boogie Rect-O-Verb Combo
Marshall JMP-1

Amp Restoration

SG Build
Quote by Kanthras
You could use the effects loop send as a line out. It will sound pretty bad though, but might be ok for messing about.

it'll sound ok if you use cabinet impulses. if you don't know about those, visit guitarampmodeling.com
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
If you aren't after anything demo-quality, you can just use a standard computer mic and a free DAW like audacity to record. ALL of the music in my profile is done with my 5150 combo (unless otherwise stated) and captured with a little logitech computer mic into my Sound Blaster Audigy. After a bit of wizardry in my DAW (N-Track), I think they sound quite good. Give them a listen and try it yourself. Afterall, a computer mic is only $10.
AMP:
5150 combo
GSP1101 + Tech 21 PE60

GUITARS:
ESP LTD M-255 w/ SD Full Shred
Kramer Vanguard w/ JE-1000 active preamp
Douglas WF-150sn w/ GFS "Hot Lead" set

EFFECTS:
Bos SD-1 (boost)
AMT DT-2

My Youtube Vids http://youtube.com/user/mogar
Quote by dlabooda
NO!!! I tried that once. It sounded horrible. The only thing that Rock Band microphones really do is pick up changes in pitch.

I use that for everything I record and it sounds decent.
LTD JD 600
Fender Celtic Esquire
Ibanez RGA7
Schecter S-1 Elite
Line 6 FM4
KORG Pitchblack
Digitech Whammy
Dunlop Wah
Ibanez TS-9
ISP Decimator
Peavey 6505 Halfstack
Marshall 1960b Cab
Line 6 POD X3 Live
LISTEN HERE TS!!!!!

If you use the effects loop send into your computer it will be just the preamp. It will sound like balls on rye. BUT, if you download a "cabinet impulse" and Voxengo Boogex, and put those plugins into reaper (free also) you will get pro quality recordings with minimal tweaking. If you need a tutorial and/or don't understand, go to the Riffs and Recordings Section and read Dream Pin's "VST Simulation Guide" or something like that. Really helped me.

You MAY need to buy a interface thougn. There is a cheap ass behringer one for $30, but at least it will get your dry signal into your computer
My Setup
Epiphone SG
Ibanez RG2EX1

Line 6 Vetta
Peavey Vypyr 15 for teh lulz

Check my clips out

Click foar epic clipz
i was actually explained the whole, the effects loop comes before the preamp, so i didnt even think of that, i didnt think it would sound that great. ill probably just go with cheap mic or something. will this be ok even though i just have on board sound, no sound blaster or anything? will an interface/mixer help this?

is there a "sweetspot" on a speaker that i should put the mic to? i see some bands live have a spot marked on the amp where to place the mic. and which speaker, left, right, doesnt matter?

thanks for all the responses guys!
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
PRS SE Custom 24 (GFS Crunchy PATs)
PRS SE Singlecut (Evo/Air Norton)
1989 Starforce (GFS PowerRails)
Morley Tremonti Power Wah, TS7 (808-Mod), Pitchblack, Boss DD-3, DE FnC
^I mean you could go with a mic but a cheap one will suck, and you will need a good interface to get remotely good recordings. If you use your preamp into a $30 interface you can get recordings like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eniYwtwVPxE

FOR FREE
My Setup
Epiphone SG
Ibanez RG2EX1

Line 6 Vetta
Peavey Vypyr 15 for teh lulz

Check my clips out

Click foar epic clipz