i have a 1975 peavey classic 50 watt 4x10 combo. I love the sound of it, but it isnt quite loud enough. It has a build in cable that connects the speaker portion to the head portion, but it has a short or something in it becuase it cuts in and out (when I hook it up to my other cab with a different cable, it isnt an issue). Is there any real way besides a booster or eq pedal that will make it louder? the speakers are old, so would replacing them improve the volume and sound? or would i be better hooking the head portion up to a 4x12 cab and eliminating the 4x10 part of the combo (basicaly will a 12 inch speaker give more volume than a 10?) Could the cable that connects the speakers to the head portion cut my volume if it is crappy? also, the tubes were replaced a couple months ago so they arent much of an issue.
Bigger speakers wont really make a huge difference. But higher efficiency speakers can make a difference. Dont know whats stock but a 102db speaker is gonna be alot louder than something with 89db efficiency. And yea you wanna get that speaker cable fixed its possible to fry the amp when it cuts out. You can boost things on the front end for more volume and can boost between pre and power amp if it has an FX loop.
Quote by Tackleberry
Bigger speakers wont really make a huge difference. But higher efficiency speakers can make a difference. Dont know whats stock but a 102db speaker is gonna be alot louder than something with 89db efficiency. And yea you wanna get that speaker cable fixed its possible to fry the amp when it cuts out. You can boost things on the front end for more volume and can boost between pre and power amp if it has an FX loop.

it doesnt have an effects loop, but can i put effects between the head portion and the speakers or does that blow the speakers?
the only thing you can put between a head and speakers is a cable.

... or an attenuator. but that sure won't make it louder.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Last edited by SomeoneYouKnew at Jul 24, 2009,
FX can only take the preamp signal level. They will fry on the power amp output. Then without a load might take your OT with em.

On a side note a quick google found schematics for a peavey classic 50 w FX loop on free info society. Dont know if there were different models or why the discrepancy. I had a link a while ago for a premade SS FX loop that could be added to just about any amp, the peavey schematic had SS FX loop.