Well I've been learning songs on my own for about 2 years now, and i have had taken a couple lessons but i didn't really like what i was learning. As a guitar player i dont feel comfortable playing just tabs, because i have no idea what i'm playing. I am thinking of taking lessons again. But what should i be working on first of all? I still feel like a beginner and i want a foundation to work off of. Could anyone recommend any sites or things they've done in the past when they were a beginner starting to learn guitar?
Start off by learning some chords and scales and learn the notes on the fretboard. That should give you a pretty good foundation to start to build on.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
Quote by Junior#1
Start off by learning some chords and scales and learn the notes on the fretboard. That should give you a pretty good foundation to start to build on.

Do you happen to know any good sites i can learn off of? I've been looking around and most sites confuse me and don't really explain it all clearly.
You're already on one of the best sites you'll find. Check out some of the lessons.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
For me personally, tabs helped immensely because I learned to play songs I liked and that further motivated me to develop my style. It sounds to me like you might want to delve further into the theory aspect of the music you're playing. I really like http://musictheory.net/ as the dude really starts from the ground up and I very much like the format of the site.

If you don't mind spending a little money (or quite a BIT in this case) I learned a TON about music theory from watching these DVD lectures: http://www.teach12.com/ttcx/coursedesclong2.aspx?cid=7261

The lecturer is FANTASTIC
use mel bay's method books
it teaches you songs entirely through sheet music and by the third book you learn the whole fretboard
not to give a shameless plug, but I have a video series on youtube called Heavy Metal 101 that may be right up your ally. Its good for beginners, even though you seem to know your way around a fretboard. Just go to youtube and type in heavy metal 101. I get messages all the time that call the lessons clear and concise. If you need help PM me and I ll see what I can do
Quote by Richmanofaction
forgot to mention- Start with scales. Get your speed up and the rest will come

Wish there were places that explained scales more clearly. Most are confusing hehe. I'll check you videos out when i get the chance. Thank you very much.