so i have a trace head and i run it through a carvin v420t and a custom 1x12 with a beyma speaker in it. each of these speaker cabinets are 8 ohms. does plugging one into one output and the one into a 2nd output on my head make it so the cabinets are now 4 ohms? i read somewhere that splitting the signal would do that. i dont know how true it is.

also, whats all this about phasing? something to do with polarity or something?
My name is Greg, use it.

Sarcastic

Angry

Hopeful
Last edited by bassman10101 at Jul 24, 2009,
As long as those two outputs are run in parallel(and I've never seen an amp that ran them in series) two 8 ohm cabinets will become a 4 ohm load.

Phasing occurs when two different speaker sizes are used. The smaller speakers respond faster than the larger speaker and sometimes since they are not synchronized perfectly the two sounds coming out of them will cause frequencies to cancel each other out. you won't lose whole notes since every note you hear is many many different frequencies which your mind percieves as a note with a specific tone. You will lose some volume and tone. Most of the time this is either unnoticable or the two cabs together work well and don't have the problem. If you don't notice it...it doesn't matter.

EDIT: and btw what your talking about is not biamping at all. biamping requires that you have 2 power amps(if not 2 pre/power amps). one running the high frequencies to one set of speakers while the other sends the lower frequencies to a different set of speakers....usually highs go to 10 or 12" speakers while lows go to 15 or 18" speakers.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
Last edited by Revelation at Jul 24, 2009,
ah! ok, apparently whatever i read was completly off. i thought as much, but it got me thinking and second guesisng myself. i didnt see how that was possible seein how its 2 different outputs all together. anyways, sorry for the dumby haha i gotta stop believing google :X
My name is Greg, use it.

Sarcastic

Angry

Hopeful
Alot of traces actually had low, high, and full range outputs on them, or maybe just there pre-amps. See on the back. That way you can send the lows to your 4x10 and your highs to the 1x12.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Well, sice this is all taken care of, at what frequency should I split a 2x12 and a 2x10?
...it was bright as the sun, but with ten times the heat