My Epiphone G-400 SG has pretty lifeless clean tones and I'd like to fix that. What are some pickups I could put in that would make clean tones more vibrant without sacrificing any mid-high-gain crunch/lead tones? Coil splits definitely are an option.
Quote by Spitz13
**** you, i live in uruguay.
Budget... Probably about 200.

Also, if I've never installed pickups before and don't know anything about wiring anything like that, is it a bad idea to install them myself?
Quote by Spitz13
Last edited by Uranutan at Jul 24, 2009,
Muahahaha, $2000? I hope you mean $200.

Also, unless you have a good amp, new pups are useless.
╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE LURKER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
I have a Super Champ XD. I've played a Strat and a Jazzmaster through one and got much better tones when it comes to clean and low-gain tones. With my SG as it is now, a lot of the bluesy, low to mid gain voicings sound crappy and phoned-in.

Also, I'm definitely going to upgrade the amp somewhere down the line. I want to keep the SG to screw around with doing mods and stuff to it.
Quote by Spitz13
Last edited by Uranutan at Jul 24, 2009,
The P-Rails certainly seem like a novel concept. Any opinions on those?
Quote by Spitz13
Well you know i'm not a fan of EMG's much but in SG's they are as crunchy as ****!
81/85 or 81/60???
Quote by Mad Marius
DBZ guitars, love'em. Especially their Les Piccolo model.
Quote by SOADriff
Well you know i'm not a fan of EMG's much but in SG's they are as crunchy as ****!
81/85 or 81/60???

He said he wanted to fix the lifeless cleans, not make it worse.
Quote by SOADriff
81/85 or 81/60???

It seems no matter what, someone always suggests emgs.

You'd be better of saving up for a strat if you want a good blues tone.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
Quote by greggybhoy
Get some Seymour Duncan H-90's into your SG and turn it into a Townshend machine...

I assume you mean P-90s? According to Google H-90s do exist, but I can't find any for sale anywhere.
I'm leaning towards a pair of P-Rails (humbucker consisting of one rail single coil and a P-90 type pickup) with Triple Shots to split them.
Quote by Spitz13
Quote by Uranutan
I assume you mean P-90s? According to Google H-90s do exist, but I can't find any for sale anywhere.
I'm leaning towards a pair of P-Rails (humbucker consisting of one rail single coil and a P-90 type pickup) with Triple Shots to split them.

http://www.seymourduncan.com/products/electric/specialized/progressive/sph901_phat_cat/

good humbucker sized p-90

a cheaper alternative would be
http://store.guitarfetish.com/gfsme90altrp.html
or
http://store.guitarfetish.com/dr90husip90c.html
Quote by Uranutan
I have a Super Champ XD. I've played a Strat and a Jazzmaster through one and got much better tones when it comes to clean and low-gain tones. With my SG as it is now, a lot of the bluesy, low to mid gain voicings sound crappy and phoned-in.
Sounds to me like you need a strat. Big difference between HBrs and SCs. You should take that $200 and find a MIM Strat off Craigslist.
^ No he should just get a versatile Humbucker instead of buying a whole new guitar. He said he wanted a Humbucker that could do good cleans while still retaining Mid-Hi gain, the Single Coils on a strat wont do that.
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

He said he liked the sound of a strat though the amp. You're not going to change pups on the SG and get the sound he liked from the strat. Why throw the dice on random pup recommendations when you already know what you like?
Quote by fly135
He said he liked the sound of a strat though the amp. You're not going to change pups on the SG and get the sound he liked from the strat. Why throw the dice on random pup recommendations when you already know what you like?

That's a good point. I've been looking at a G&L Legacy (a strat copy) which may be what I want. The only thing is that's an even bigger investment than a couple pickups.
Quote by Spitz13
you know if the pickups are any decent you could just swap the magnets like i did, it will cost you like 20$ bux like alnico 5 on neck and 8 bridge
Quote by Uranutan
That's a good point. I've been looking at a G&L Legacy (a strat copy) which may be what I want. The only thing is that's an even bigger investment than a couple pickups.
True dat! I bought a G&L S-500 in a pawn shop in the 80's for $60 and didn't even know what I had. I didn't know how to play back then, gave up and stuck it in the closet for nearly 20 years until I finally learned to play. Fortunately I hung on to it because it's one of my favorite guitars.
Quote by fly135
True dat! I bought a G&L S-500 in a pawn shop in the 80's for $60 and didn't even know what I had. I didn't know how to play back then, gave up and stuck it in the closet for nearly 20 years until I finally learned to play. Fortunately I hung on to it because it's one of my favorite guitars.

American or Tribute?

Anyway, I'd rather just have one guitar that can do it all pretty well than have two separate guitars to take to college/whatever.
How's this idea: P-Rails in the neck and some sort of high-gain pickup in the bridge?
Quote by Spitz13