Yay, after 20 hours + of research, and trips to various >40 mile away guitar stores, i finally got my long awaited peavey classic 30 . I'm itching to crank it, but seeing as it's 10:00 at night, i don't think i can. anyway, it's awesome, but i have a couple of questions.

How long should i wait after turning it on to start playing it? It doesn't say anything in the manual.

How high does the pre-gain have to be to get some quality overdrive? I have the post at 12, but the highest i've put the pre at is like 2 1/2, and it's still sparkling clean.

What is footswitchable and what foot switch do it need. Mainly concerned in channel select, reverb, and boost in footswitchability. I have a Boss FS-6, and it doesn't seem to be working.

I've been getting a lot of buzzing at higher volumes. I tried facing the amp the other way and it helped, but I still got some buzzing. Also, at one point it started picking up radio signals It might have just been my mind playing tricks on me, but I could have sworn I heard the radio through my amp.

Thx for the help, I'll post pics later if I feel like it.

Also, can anyone give me some good classic rock settings? Thx
Last edited by twsyb123 at Jul 24, 2009,
Pics or it's an MG

But seriously, earing radio in your amp is normal on high volumes, and its most likely your guitar pickups that are picking up the radio and not the amp. Did you try to crank the amp without anything plugged in it? Cause the buzzing talking about could come from your guitar as well, it if still does it with the guitar unplugged, then you might a microphonic tube
Sounds like you may have some bad preamp tubes in there that have gone microphonic if you have low amounts of gain and pickup radio signals. Do the tap test.
Oh, congrats on the purchase! Tube amps are great, you should be pretty happy.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SINE WAVE SURFER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
Also, a coiled cable can cause radio signals. If you're using a super long cable and it's a cheap one and it's kind of rolled over itself a bunch of times, it can act as an antenna. Make sure the cable is laid out flat and straight and that could help. It's most likely one of the other two (tubes or pickups) but it's worth mentioning.

As far as the footswitch, I'm afraid you're stuck with a crapass peavey switch. They're godawful and overpriced, but unless you want to make your own then you're screwed. Enjoy the plastic crackly goodness that is a peavey 2-button switch.

Enjoy your new amp!
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Quote by Sid McCall
Also, a coiled cable can cause radio signals. If you're using a super long cable and it's a cheap one and it's kind of rolled over itself a bunch of times, it can act as an antenna. Make sure the cable is laid out flat and straight and that could help. It's most likely one of the other two (tubes or pickups) but it's worth mentioning.

As far as the footswitch, I'm afraid you're stuck with a crapass peavey switch. They're godawful and overpriced, but unless you want to make your own then you're screwed. Enjoy the plastic crackly goodness that is a peavey 2-button switch.

Enjoy your new amp!

lol yeah, i did have the cord coiled up. Hopefully that's it. But my local music store salesman said that most footswitches should work fine. Are you sure only peavey footswitches work?
You're using pre and post gain incorrectly. If you want overdrive, crank your pregain up, and use the post gain to control the volume. Either channel should start to break up and saturate around 12 o clock, give or take a bit.

Edit: although I dont have experience, I know most 2 button stereo footswitches will work with the amp. I've heard of people using Vox ones.
All of our days are numbered
I’ve taken some comfort
In knowing the wave has crested
Knowing I don’t have to be an exception