i've only been playing for 2 years and have owned only one guitar (electric)

Im sure a lot of people go into the stores playing pop-punk songs with their power chords but since people always say, punk songs just use power chords and all you need for punk is a guitar that makes noise and something to amplify that noise, i want to ask you guys what type of music brings out the individual sound of individual guitars.

Hopefully people can start good discussions about the topic.
For Gibson, Fender, and Gretsches blues and country are best, at least clean blues and country. Then on personal preference check in on the distortion you'll be using most.
Quote by manhangi
For Gibson, Fender, and Gretsches blues and country are best, at least clean blues and country.

Ya, play everything on clean first.
Quote by axethrower13
But you only die once, so you may as well experience it to the fullest.

Quote by ozzyismetal
Get her a goat. Bitches love goats.

Quote by Weaponxclaws
Plus, naturally I scream satanic rituals while unleashing the demon. It's a marvelous resurrection.
It's all a matter of opinion. Occasionally you might like a guitar that in isn't exactly said to be, say, a blues guitar, but love the hell out of the blues tone you get. Same goes for other genres, etc., in a nutshell of course.
FIGHT MY BRUTE!
Quote by Tackleberry
Only time Ive seen a true single coil in a chrome humbucker housing was chinese knock off where they claimed it was a humbucker but half the housing was empty.
Quote by Its So Easy
Ya, play everything on clean first.

He's right... clean is the best way to judge the individual tone of a guitar.
Personally I play unplugged before anything else. The 'acoustic' tone of an electric guitar can really say a lot about it. This isn't to say that an acoustically dead electric guitar can't sound killer, but I generally find that the greater the unplugged resonance and sustain, the richer the tone when played through a good amp.

EDIT: sorry I forgot to answer your question lol... I agree with the above statements to play something clean. A staple I usually stick to is SRVs 'Lenny' or something similar. For distorted riffs I just make sure I play stuff that will eventually take me across the entire fretboard to check for intonation and sustain issues. 80s metal ala Iron maiden/Scorpions-ish usually does the trick
Quote by jackbauer
playing by yourself is like masturbating, sure it feels great, but it's nothing compared to the real deal.

Quote by guylee
Oh Shit! I Have A Weird Growth On My Body!

To The Pit!

JOIN MY GROUP plox

http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/tonelife/
Last edited by USAPeavey at Jul 24, 2009,
Yes, play some clean. And do some scales. Do whatever you know that travels across the fretboard.
R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio. Supplied amazing music to both me and my mother.

He will be missed.
Stairway to Heaven, definitely.

But, seriously: It depends on the guitar. Like these people said, play something on clean first, to hear how the guitar naturally sounds. Then, play whatever type of music you would play on this guitar if you were to buy it. Say you're buying a guitar. If you're not going to play blues on said guitar, don't play blues when you're trying it out. It's as simple as that.

Quote by USAPeavey
Personally I play unplugged before anything else. The 'acoustic' tone of an electric guitar can really say a lot about it. This isn't to say that an acoustically dead electric guitar can't sound killer, but I generally find that the greater the unplugged resonance and sustain, the richer the tone when played through a good amp.
This is so true, it's hard to even begin to comprehend how true it is. The type of wood and shape of body, the size and shape of the headstock, the size of the frets, and other things matter immensely, and you can hear how they contribute to the tone without even plugging in to an amp.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
Last edited by food1010 at Jul 24, 2009,
Just don't do things people would most likely expect you to do at a guitar store (Sweep picking, Iron Man, SotW, or any emo stuff) cause I'm sure it will annoy everyone
2009 (Used, w/ Tex Mex pups ) MIM Strat
Peavey Vypyr 15w
Is AASing for Blackstar HT-5 head and speaker
Is GASing for Kramer Striker Custom w/o FR
I.. AM.. THE.....THREADKILLER!
Quote by PurpleClawz
Just don't do things people would most likely expect you to do at a guitar store (Sweep picking, Iron Man, SotW, or any emo stuff) cause I'm sure it will annoy everyone

Or ANY intro to ANY well-known metallica song

But yea cleans as well as the amount of distortion you plan on mainly using.

And for the record make sure the amp you try it in is tube.
Les Paul= GnR, Randy Rhoads, Metallica
SG= AcDc, Sabboth
Tele= Zepplin, Metallica(unforgiven)
Strat= Mark Knoplfer, Hendrix, Clapton
Explorer= Metallica, Foo Fighters, Lynard Skynard(sp?)
V= Kiss, 'Tallica, Skorpions
Jag- stlyed= Nirvana, Surf... stuff.
Dean= Dime, Dime, more Dime
Bc Rich= smoke on the water, intro to Walk, Iron man, Add a Spider III for MAX BR00TALZ!!!!!1!!!!1!!!!!one!!!!!!!ripdime!!!!!!!!!
As someone pointed out above, its all about opinion, in my experience, For Whom the Bell Tolls really makes my guitar come to life, and it made me realize how much I love to play rhythm.
No gods or kings. There is only zuul.
Quote by RU Experienced?
Now police, fire, and EMS vehicle's sirens sound in tritones. Suck it Christians, your protectors are satans minions.

I have been sigged by UG's Greek, what have YOU done today?
I play lots of harmonically rich chords, if I can remember any. I try to play high up on the neck to see if the action/setup are alright on the display model (it happens!). Lots of open chords and lots of bendy leads so you can feel how the strings bend.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
lol, a guy at the shop was making fun of me yesterday for trying out electrics unplugged. I just said I'm checking playability to see if it's worth the effort. Plugged in sound is important but so is the unplugged acoustics of the wood and the general feel of the guitar. I'd suggest you try guitars out on an amp like you have or you may be disappointed when you get home. Just play what you play. I mean, play what you're going to be using the guitar for. There's no point using riffs that are different from your everyday type of playing. Do check every fret on every string though, even if it annoys the workers. Just my way of thinking.
Quote by BlockFour
lol, a guy at the shop was making fun of me yesterday for trying out electrics unplugged. I just said I'm checking playability to see if it's worth the effort. Plugged in sound is important but so is the unplugged acoustics of the wood and the general feel of the guitar. I'd suggest you try guitars out on an amp like you have or you may be disappointed when you get home. Just play what you play. I mean, play what you're going to be using the guitar for. There's no point using riffs that are different from your everyday type of playing. Do check every fret on every string though, even if it annoys the workers. Just my way of thinking.

Hah, I always get people working at stores kind of looking at me funny because Ill come in and try a bunch of expensive electrics unplugged. A guitar that sounds good unplugged will sound better plugged into an amp than a guitar that doesn't sound good unplugged will. At least in my experience.

Plugged in, Metallica, Maiden, that stuff. Rock You Like A Hurricane always gets some response out of nearby store-goers I'm always hesitant to play Master of Puppets because I'm afraid will make a fuss like "Oh God, another Metalhead." or the like.

Unplugged, whatever I would normally play clean. If it sounds good unplugged, it will sound good on a decent amps clean channel. And of course, scales, chords, buzz checking.
My Gear
Marshall MG10 + Digitech RP350 multi-fx
Dean ZX
B52 AT-100
MXR 10-Band EQ Pedal
ESP LTD KH-Ouija Sig
The ones that involve hitting the strings while fretting notes.

When I play a guitar, I don't try any specific riffs, I try many across a wide variety of styles.
This space foreclosed, due to the ailing economy.
Last edited by Free to Guitar at Jul 25, 2009,
Smoke On the Water brings out the true tone of any guitar.

But really, play a lick from the genre you mainly play since that is what you will be using it for but never assume the guitar sounds great on your tube amp because you tried it on a microcube on volume 1.

/life experience
"Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo."
This is a pretty weird question. First thing is take your own lead and try and use the same amp you have at home. No point trying out a guitar with a £1000 amp and a £200 lead if you've got a crappy lead and a 15W Marshall MG. Use the same picks. Then the answer is simple - use the guitar on every setting. Play a clean riff on the bass and trebles. Play power chords. Play open chords. Finger pick. Use all the different pickup combinations. This should give you a pretty clear view of how it's going to sound, and if you like it, buy it.
Quote by Scutchington
As someone pointed out above, its all about opinion, in my experience, For Whom the Bell Tolls really makes my guitar come to life, and it made me realize how much I love to play rhythm.

QFT

I sat down today and learnd a bit of the song, holy crap if rhythm is this fun then why do i bother with lead :P
Anything will bring the true tone of a guitar out if you play it acoustically. Personally I prefer open chords rather than specific riffs or licks.
how about when it comes to playing more than one guitar? Do you guys just play the same things over and over again on a different guitar? I think that would be annoying.
For good, clear distortion, Night Prowler is great to play. For cleans, i dunno...

Stairway to Heaven?
Quote by SlackerBabbath

I also have hairy butt cheeks, I once shaved a letter 'W' on each cheek, so that when I bent over it spelled WoW.

warning, some of the contents of this post may not necessarily be completely true.
Quote by jcytuason
how about when it comes to playing more than one guitar? Do you guys just play the same things over and over again on a different guitar? I think that would be annoying.

Might be annoying, but it's also effective imo. It allows you to hear the differences in the guitars, which is usually what you're trying to do
I usually play unplugged for awhile, then plug in and do some scale runs, legato's, and string skips. If the guitar sounds good on all test then I consider it.