Poll: Do I owe my friend's brother $50?
Poll Options
View poll results: Do I owe my friend's brother $50?
Yes, you should have known he would've charged you for it
22 9%
Yes, because you shouldn't be a jerk to him if he's in trouble
48 20%
No, because he didn't tell you to repay him when he sent you the code
118 49%
No, he's being a prick about it and doesn't deserve any money.
54 22%
Voters: 242.
Page 1 of 2
A few months ago, my friend's brother wanted to play a rousing game of Call of Duty 4 with me over Xbox Live. I informed him that my subscription to XBL had run out and could therefore no longer play online. He promptly sent me a code that I assumed was a 24 hour trial. When I told him that 24 hour trials only were good for new accounts, he told me that that was a 13 month code (worth $50). The message read "Kevin (me), that's 13 months." Elated, I cashed it in.

Needless to say, the proverbial shit hit the fan there.

He and his brother have been bothering me for months now, insisting that I owe him money because his mother found out and she flipped. I refuse to pay them a cent because never once did either of them tell me I would be expected to pay for anything until AFTER the code had been sent to me and cashed in.

Today, he sent me a message simply reading "My account is silver now." For the uninitiated, this means HIS xbox subscription ran out, and this is the presumed deadline for me to give him my money.

tl;dr Friend's brother gave me essentially a $50 gift card without telling me to pay him back. Now he's expecting that and interest. I'm not giving him a cent.

What do you think, pit?
What are they gonna do? Call the mob on yo' ass?
Quote by MakinLattes
dwelling on past mishaps is for the weak. you must stride into the future, unabashed and prepared to fuck up yet again.
An arousing game of COD 4? Tell me more, I'm intrigued.
Quote by Chrisiphone
Oh wow this is a guitar forum!
Quote by JacobTheMe

Karvid is sexy

Quote by KAS1981
Why is it that some folks quote praise from other members in their sig lines?
Its lame.
Get a PS3.

No, really, don't give him a dime.
MY GEAR!
Amp
-Peavey Classic 30
Guitars
-Silverburst Epiphone Les Paul Custom
-Squier Stratocaster
Pedals
-Ibanez TS9DX Turbo Tube Screamer
-Fender PT-100
-MXR Phase 90
-Fuzz Face Clone
-MXR Carbon Copy
Quote by Quam Celerrime
Yeah, I do, but I'm not asking for their money.

Can I adopt you?????
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Quote by Karvid
An arousing game of COD 4? Tell me more, I'm intrigued.

Quote by Quam Celerrime
A rousing game of Call of Duty 4

is what I said.
Quote by fender4482
Get a PS3.

No, really, don't give him a dime.

RIP DIME

Really though, I wouldn't pay him jack ****
Feel free to add me on STEAM: thesystemhasfailed
XBL tag: cbiggs18
Quote by diminishedtobme
Challenge them to a game of Halo3, win get the 50$.

I'm bad at halo 3.

They're really really good at it.

Quote by Jackal58
Can I adopt you?????

I might have to sig that.
Last edited by Quam Celerrime at Jul 24, 2009,
I voted you should, but I didn't read the whole post.

You don't owe them anything. He gave you the code; you didn't ask for it and he didn't ask for it to be paid back.
Like podcasts? Listen to these!
BEER!
VIDEO GAMES!
MOVIES/GEEKY SHIT!

Last edited by zappp : Today at 4:20 PM. Reason: Suck on my balls, UG
Haha Xbox Live. What a ripoff.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
They aren't your friends.

/thread
Quote by guitar-godfrey
when i grow up i wanna have blackandsilver's babies!

Quote by angusfan16

Quote by Scowmoo
HOLY HELL.

nice discovery, sir.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by coryklok : Today at 01:10 PM.
I don't know, if my friends gave me 50 dollars (and it wasn't any special occasion like Christmas or Birthday) I would WANT to pay them back....and I'm not just acting like a holier than thou kind of person, but I mean, they're your friends.
Tonight, we stagger out from the basement...

I'm sick of not having the courage to be an absolute nobody.

...Or fall to our deaths from above
Quote by Quam Celerrime
is what I said.

I doubt it's what you meant, though.
Quote by Chrisiphone
Oh wow this is a guitar forum!
Quote by JacobTheMe

Karvid is sexy

Quote by KAS1981
Why is it that some folks quote praise from other members in their sig lines?
Its lame.
Quote by Quam Celerrime
I'm bad at halo 3.

Actually, I think he is on to something. challenge them to a game of COD4. Even if they are way better, they don't have a subscription, and you do. So you have time to practice. Beat their ass and don't pay a dime.
Quote by MakinLattes
dwelling on past mishaps is for the weak. you must stride into the future, unabashed and prepared to fuck up yet again.
Quote by Quam Celerrime
I'm bad at halo 3.

Well I'll play! But between us, my Xbox is slightly broken. So when it crashes, I'll tell them they owe me $300 for modding the game and lagging my Xbox to its death. At first they'll laugh it off. But I won't laugh. And they'll end up begging for my mercy, at which point I request that they cancel your debt.

Pointless suggestion aside, never give them that money. It's not your fault he didn't mention you had to pay, tell his mother the same thing.
Quote by Bamitchell
I don't know, if my friends gave me 50 dollars (and it wasn't any special occasion like Christmas or Birthday) I would WANT to pay them back....and I'm not just acting like a holier than thou kind of person, but I mean, they're your friends.

Normally I would too, but this kid has a new game like every other week so I'm willing to bet $50 isn't as much for his family as it is for mine.
Quote by Jackal58
Can I adopt you?????
Seems like his priorities are right toward his parents, doesn't it?

Quote by Quam Celerrime
He promptly sent me a code that I assumed was a 24 hour trial. When I told him that 24 hour trials only were good for new accounts, he told me that that was a 13 month code (worth $50). The message read "Kevin (me), that's 13 months." Elated, I cashed it in.
If he told you he expected you to pay (at THAT time), you owe him. If he told you later, you don't. Simple as.

The fact that his mom flipped is meaningless.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by Bamitchell

There was no consent for exchange of cash. They assigned no value to it , just said "here you go".
I would have to think long and hard about paying somebody for something I wasn't looking to buy. My answer is - no.

Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

If he told you he expected you to pay (at THAT time), you owe him. If he told you later, you don't. Simple as.

Yes it does.
And I'm with ya man.
You don't owe dick dude.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
Last edited by Jackal58 at Jul 24, 2009,
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Right, and he didn't seem intent on getting his money back until after he found out he was in deep doo-doo.

Oh, and I forgot to mention: once his mom went berserk I sent him my login email and password so he could play on my profile. Granted, he'd have to start a new save for games I didn't have and any achievements unlocked would go to me, but it's still online play and I would've jumped at that offer. As far as I know, he never took advantage of that opportunity.
Last edited by Quam Celerrime at Jul 24, 2009,
I'm ina simler situation with my step dad.

My freinds coudn't get home after staying round mine (we planed sometnibg but it went tits-up, I won't go into it.) so my step dad said he'd he'd pay for their bus. The total cost was excacly £15 and he gave me a £20 note. I walked them to the bus stop and as I left my step Dad called to me that he wanted the £5 change when I got back.

Obviously I gave him the £5 change back. He's now insisting I owe him the other £15 and refuses to give me lifts anywere. Aprently I shouldn't take peoples money with out intent to pay it back, well surely if you want the money back you let them know that BEFORE you make the deal, let alone after the other person has already fufilled their end of the deal.

So yea, I'm with you on this. Your freinds brothers a dick. You don't give people money then complain that its gone if don't tell them you want it back before.
El-Danny

Quote by americnidiot
You keep seeing songs like KoC, SMBH, and Hysteria showing up on games, but I want Micro Cuts on either Rock Band or Sing Star. I want to see numerous masses of kids staring at the tv wondering what the hell they're supposed to do.
Quote by Bamitchell

^ this. Also he helped you out when you couldn't play, least you could do for him is buy him a 13 month card or w/e
Quote by hug a llama
Dude, if a title read "penis pics, come on in" I think about 93% of UG would still click on it.

Quote by Burpin'Worm
Nonsense. I'm telling you, nothing makes the fairer sex swoon like an extensive knowledge of siege weaponry and medieval battle tactics.
Get a PS3

That aside, don't pay him ****. You don't send someone a paid subscription and expect them to pay you back. You know whats right and whats wrong in this situation. You don't need to evaluation of the internet people to tell you. This dude is being a prick and or vagina.
Check out Hear the Indie for music reviews, interviews, and more.

Want a review? Send me a PM or email through the contact form on my site.
tell them to **** off, this is their own damn fault
VERY METAL!
\m/
RIP Ronnie James Dio

Quote by metaldud536
RazorTheAwesome, if I was a Ditto, I'd transform into YOU

Quote by Kensai
Basically god wanted to punish people for getting educated/eating apples.

Quote by Jackal58
We all desire a little pussy.
Get a PS3 'cause Xbox Live is a ****ing racket.
Last edited by blackflag49 at Jul 24, 2009,
where's the flubababluba option?
Quote by supralightning
send your gf over to my place and ill give her a birthday present

Gear:
Fender Squier
SP-10 (i almost don't use it)
Boss DS-1
Boss RC-2 (very useful)
Boss GT-10 (hell yeah)
Good Headphones
Gameboy color

Lastfm
To everybody that thinks he owes money, give me your e-mail address so I can send you something that I'll assign a value to later and claim you owe me.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
Quote by heavenbesideyou
RIP DIME

Really though, I wouldn't pay him jack ****

RIP wacko jacko

no but really ignore him, remove him from you friends list and (insert something sinister here)
~Defiant~
Quote by Jackal58
To everybody that thinks he owes money, give me your e-mail address so I can send you something that I'll assign a value to later and claim you owe me.

I like this guy.
He offered it to you, didn't ask to be paid back.

Case dismissed
Sincerely,
Shitstirrer
Well thanks everyone. I love being right and I love being told I'm right even more. I can understand why some of you would say that I owe him the money, but these two kids haven't exactly been all puppies and sunshine to me in the first place.
Hell no, you don't own him jack if you don't want to give him anything.

However, if he's a good friend and he really needs the money for something (his family fell on hard times or something) then you should give it back out of kindness, if you're a kind person.

If he's being a turd about it then I say tell him to STFU.
Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
You know you're in the drug thread when you see pictures of squash and "tuna nigga!" when you click the page.
Quote by Turkeyburger
Don't be a dick, it's not like you weren't going to buy more time on XBL anyway

Assumptions rarely work the way we assume they will.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
Page 1 of 2