Page 1 of 3
Quote by crazy8rgood
Classical music is cool.

This. It's just not played on the same radio stations as rock.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 73-78
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 24-7
I, for one, love classical music (particularly woodwind stuff) but most teenagers couldn't care less about it.
Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
You know you're in the drug thread when you see pictures of squash and "tuna nigga!" when you click the page.
Last edited by dudetheman at Jul 24, 2009,
Because people today have shit taste in music. A girl laughed at me for listening to Wagner, so I promptly slapped her upside the head.
Like podcasts? Listen to these!
BEER!
VIDEO GAMES!
MOVIES/GEEKY SHIT!

Last edited by zappp : Today at 4:20 PM. Reason: Suck on my balls, UG
Quote by mdwallin
isn't played on commercial/top40 radio.
This, my friend, is why classical music is no longer "popular" music.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
I have a theory. If Lil' Wayne rapped to a classical backing track, classical would be popular again. And unpopular in a matter of weeks. Still just a theory.
Quote by MakinLattes
dwelling on past mishaps is for the weak. you must stride into the future, unabashed and prepared to fuck up yet again.
Quote by dudetheman
I, for one, love classical music (particularly woodwind stuff) but most teenagers could care less about it.

RRRRAAAAGGGEEEE

I know quite a few people who won't listen to anything that was released more than two months ago, some who claim that if the music isn't rap, it's opera and opera sucks, and some who get their music solely off of their friends who don't listen to classical music. This isn't an anti-mainstream rant, but I've gotten the impression that a lot of these characteristics are prevalent in popular thought right now.
Quote by Chrisiphone
Oh wow this is a guitar forum!
Quote by JacobTheMe

Karvid is sexy

Quote by KAS1981
Why is it that some folks quote praise from other members in their sig lines?
Its lame.
Quote by dudetheman
I, for one, love classical music (particularly woodwind stuff) but most teenagers could care less about it.

I'm 14 and love me some classical
bands/artists I've seen: Protest the Hero, LIGHTS, Andrew Bird, Flight of the Conchords, Incubus, Nine Inch Nails, Between the Buried and Me, Guthrie Govan, Cynic, The Devin Townsend Project, Scale the Summit, The Dillinger Escape Plan, Darkest Hour
Because back then, nearly everyone played an instrument and could at least appreciate or make sense of what was going on in classical music. With world wars 1 and 2, people couldn't afford to play an instrument or didn't want to because they wanted a solid career/job where they'd be definitely needed everyday, like commerce or agriculture. And as interest in music diminished, we get Lady Gaga.

That's my take on it anyway seeing as the last "classical" form of music was the Romantic style.
Classical music is great; I don't know why more people don't listen to it
Other planes lie beyond the reach
Of normal sense and common roads
But they are no less real
Than what we see or touch or feel
-Burzum

MoogleRancha is a twat
I would argue that Classical is possibly the most badass music around.

It's just not played on "hit" radio stations, and people in general like music that isn't musically stimulating", by which I mean, something with complex arrangements and all.

It's not that all modern music is bad (some is, but really, as long as you can admit that it's not that good from a musical point of view, then there's nothing wrong with listening to it), it's just not nearly the same as the old classical stuff, so people don't really "get it".

Unfortunately that can make it uncool sometimes. But if someone judges you negatively based on liking classical (read: GOOD) music, then they're not worth your time.

Wow, that's enough of that tangent.
Oh no he just divided by zero again...*gets sucked into vortex*

Originally Posted by Sirwinston89
whoa man this is turning into the Dream Theater appreciation thread!!! If only every thread kicked this much ass!

You're welcome
Quote by MISTER_EGO_1969
Why is classical music somehow unpopular nowadays?

Why?

It isn't? For one thing, almost every kind of music we have comes from it in some way.

But for another, a lot people (mainly of the older generations) enjoy it. And the world is filled with teenagers who like to make the point that they love classical music to anyone that will hear it, in the hope that they seem more interesting and intelligent.

And also. It's 200 years old.
"I'll tell you what classical music is, for those of you who don't know. Classical music is this music that was written by a bunch of dead people a long time ago. And it's formula music, the same as top forty music is formula music. In order to have a piece be classical, it has to conform to academic standards that were the current norms of that day and age ... I think that people are entitled to be amused, and entertained. If they see deviations from this classical norm, it's probably good for their mental health."

- Frank
Quote by itchy guitar
I have a theory. If Lil' Wayne rapped to a classical backing track, classical would be popular again. And unpopular in a matter of weeks. Still just a theory.

I've actually heard a lot of rappers rap to classical tracks , or some god awful remix of Beethoven's 5th.
Neverender:SSTB 4/19

Goddamn this cursed iron fist. When I lose control!

[quote="'[VictorinoX"]']You, sir, win epically.
Most classical music isn't simple enough or catchy enough to fully understand its greatness upon first listen. This is why most people don't care for it. In general, the easier a song is to understand/catch onto, the better chance it has of being a pop hit.
Quote by XianXiuHong
Because back then, nearly everyone played an instrument and could at least appreciate or make sense of what was going on in classical music. With world wars 1 and 2, people couldn't afford to play an instrument or didn't want to because they wanted a solid career/job where they'd be definitely needed everyday, like commerce or agriculture. And as interest in music diminished, we get Lady Gaga.

That's my take on it anyway seeing as the last "classical" form of music was the Romantic style.

No you're wrong. The reason why is because people are freaking lazy creatures. And classical music requires a lot of effort to learn and master the notation, some theory etc...

LAZY PEOPLE ARE LAZY
Well as one of my teachers puts it, Classical is just too big.
There's a classical piece for almost everyone out there, at least one that you will like but because there's so much of it, nobody's willing to look. Also alot of us haven't grown up with classical being treated as something you actually listened to, it's considered moreso background music due to its use in pretty much all TV and film.

That being said i do like classical music, but i am very selective of it.
The lives of thousands in my hands
I’ve come to take back what’s rightfully mine and now you’re damned
The lights grow dark in their homes
But our road is lit by fire from the sky
So we push forward

Last.fm
Quote by BK202
I like swing music alot. And George Gershwin.

Rhapsody in Blue, American in Paris
Quote by metabolicmaggot
Win. +1 cookie for hide the beer.

I like Dvorak a lot, but don't listen to anyone else on a regular basis, except for maybe Bach.
I personally really like some classical music, it's just that most people consider it embarrassing to listen to; I guess because it just isn't thought of as "cool".
Quote by Karvid
RRRRAAAAGGGEEEE

Wow,

I normally wouldn't make that mistake but alas, I am stoned.
Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
You know you're in the drug thread when you see pictures of squash and "tuna nigga!" when you click the page.
I listen to a lot of classical music when I'm doing homework or studying as it really helps me focus. I listen to a lot of Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart and Ludwig Van Beethoven and also James Newton Howard (he does movie soundtracks, though I guess you can class it as classical stuff) and have yet to get anything other than an A on a test/assignment when listening to that stuff while I'm studying
Quote by me_llamo_juan
^You're awesome.

Quote by gtmustang2006
Listen to RageAgnstUrJaw.

"I've wronged you, and steal everything from the truth,
Can we find ourselves, walking through a field with no solitude,
The pain goes on."
Recently I've been getting into classical music. Last year, all my Senior English teacher played in his room was classical music on NPR. I slowly began to get into it. I'm still not very knowledgeable about it, and I don't really know the names of certain pieces, but I still enjoy listening to it. Lately I've been most interested in composers such as Philip Glass who wrote minimalist pieces.
I can honestly say I have really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like.

I don't always post on UG, but when I do, I post in the Pit. Stay thirsty my friends.
Quote by MISTER_EGO_1969
No you're wrong. The reason why is because people are freaking lazy creatures. And classical music requires a lot of effort to learn and master the notation, some theory etc...

LAZY PEOPLE ARE LAZY

That was the point of my entire post, people didn't see the necessity to learn music and so didn't, that's pretty tantamount to being lazy to appreciate a genre.
Most people don't listen to classical music because most people don't listen to music that is pre-2005.
1. Open My Computer.
2. Open C:
3. Click on WINDOWS.
4. Open the folder "Media."
5. Click on the file "onestop."
6. Listen.
Quote by mdwallin
classical music faded out the same way disco did.

its just another genre that isn't played on commercial/top40 radio.

Classical music was never steamrolled in Kominsky park.
If you ever compare classical to disco again I will steamroll you in Kominsky Park.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Quote by Lucas Bundy MAN
Because it's old and doesn't use auto-tune.

Auto-tune killed music.
Quote by Gunpowder
Yeah, Japan got downgraded from "country" to "sub-culture" after losing WWII.
Quote by Lucas Bundy MAN
Because it's old and doesn't use auto-tune.

Mozart didn't need auto tune. He had people.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Quote by Ron Mexico
Auto-tune killed music.

Couldn't agree more. I can't even turn the tv on anymore without hear crappy auto-tune songs in every commercial.
Quote by Ron Mexico
Auto-tune killed music.

Auto-Tune will be gone by next year. I guarantee it.
1. Open My Computer.
2. Open C:
3. Click on WINDOWS.
4. Open the folder "Media."
5. Click on the file "onestop."
6. Listen.
Quote by MISTER_EGO_1969
classical music

I'm 12 and what is this?
Today I feel electric grey
I hope tomorrow, neon black
Page 1 of 3