Well, since my brother left for Iraq, he said i can use his gear!
I love his tone, but its not me.
A few days ago i saw a music video where the guitarist had duct tape (i think) X's across his cabs. Whats the point of this?
Fender MIA Standard Strat
ESP LTD Viper 407
Epiphone SG
Starcaster by Fender(modded with Bill Lawrence l-500-xl)
PEAVEY 6505+ (FJA transistor modd)
Peavey 65 watt transtube studio-112
Marshall 1960AV
Vader 2x12
ISP Decimator
MXR 10 band EQ
He probly had a rip or tear in the cabs fabric........in other words its like putting a sticker on a bike to make it go faster........Also what was the name of the band if they have a x in there name that might be a dead give away............
And you did ask your bro if you could touch his stuff right?.......If not shame on you.
Hearing about a pair of great boobs is like hearing about a really cool bug or lizard as a kid and you just gotta see it.
Quote by doctorcheeze200
Well, since my brother left for Iraq, he said i can use his gear!
I love his tone, but its not me.
That's really nice. Take good care of his stuff, man.

Quote by doctorcheeze200
A few days ago i saw a music video where the guitarist had duct tape (i think) X's across his cabs. Whats the point of this?
If the duct tape was right across the center of a speaker, he was probably trying to block some of the high frequencies coming from the dome. Not very effective. And duct tape leaves a mess that's impossible to clean on grille cloth. That wouldn't be a nice thing to do to your brother's gear.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
I cant remember the band, but it didnt have an X in its name. And im pretty sure he had a reason, as all his cabs were like that. (he had a few full stacks, backline i guess).

Haha i havent mentioned anything about changing cosmetics yet
Fender MIA Standard Strat
ESP LTD Viper 407
Epiphone SG
Starcaster by Fender(modded with Bill Lawrence l-500-xl)
PEAVEY 6505+ (FJA transistor modd)
Peavey 65 watt transtube studio-112
Marshall 1960AV
Vader 2x12
ISP Decimator
MXR 10 band EQ
Quote by doctorcheeze200

there is no point to it. it's something the guitarist did thinking it'd look cool. personally i wouldn't use duct tape as a decorative treatment on anything.
I think the tape was used to baffle the speaker, sort of like a damper.
Parker PDF30
Vox VT40+
please dont tell me that since your brother was so gracious to allow you to use his gear that you will reward him by duct taping all his ****.
Official Aspie member

ANOUNCEMENT: Weird misspellings or words that make no sense? there was a good chance this was sent from my Droid 2 phone.
Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

RIP Dime RIP Michael Jackson
Perhaps the band was Static X?
My Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Peavey Vypyr 30
DW Collector's 3 pc drums
Mapex Black panther snare
Sabian AAX/Zildjian K cymbals.
Show us what the X looks like... Was it a huge one that went all across the front, or just a small one...? With small crosses, some people use those to mark when they've found a sweet spot for aiming a microphone at when they're getting mic'd up for a PA or recording situation.
its probably like SYK said and the guitarist was trying to tame some of the high frequencies. cant really think of anything else unless the grill cloth was torn.
Quote by Guitar0player
Perhaps it was used as a beam blocker?

This.
Parker PDF30
Vox VT40+
Id reckon its more likely to mark the spot to mic up the speaker. Since mic placement has a drastic effect on the end sound marking the spot so that the stage crew gets it right night after night is a good move.
ESP M-1 - Dimarzio Super3
Ibanez RG3270 ToneZone/Blue Velvet/Paf Pro
Ibanez RG1527
PRS CE22
Mercer Blackmachine Replica

Diezel Herbert
Diezel Einstein Combo
TC GMajor

Gain Wh0re and Diezel Mafioso
Quote by noisefarmer
there is no point to it. it's something the guitarist did thinking it'd look cool. personally i wouldn't use duct tape as a decorative treatment on anything.

There is a huge point to it. Many artists do it, but inside the grill. Now many cab mfgs offer "beam blockers". Look it up and learn something.
I always thought people did that to remember where to place their mic.
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
Seems like a more effective, and even cheaper method would be to just cut out some cardboard and safety pin it in front of each speaker cone.
colin617 

I was gonna second that comment about mic placement but then I seen the video... augh. These guys are so cool, it's style and nothing else. Again, augh. I want that 5min back.
Well this thread is over 8 years old so...
Gibson LP traditional and DC standard, PRS S2 Custom 24, MIA Standard Strat, Charvel So Cal Pro Mod, Schecter Banshee 7
EVH 5153, Mesa DR Tremoverb combo 2-2x12's
Line 6 M13
Hope the OP's bro got back safely, and found his gear to be in largely the same condition he left it...
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!