Is it just me or is it extremely difficult to sell tickets in advance to people? You can only go to well with your friends so many times. I'm going to make a few open mic appearances. Any other ideas?
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Of course I don't wanna go in the woods. There's bears in there.

Quote by Deliriumbassist
Jeff Ament is a sexy sexy beast.

Quote by Karvid
Yes. Chest hair = automatic awesome. Even if you're a woman.
Most of the time its only your friends who will buy in advance (unless of course you have a decent following, but if you did the promoter probably wouldn't ask you to sell tickets!). I assume you get extra money/better set time by selling them, so just post on the facebook event for the show or send a mass myspace message to everyone to encourage them to buy advance tickets to help you out.
Keep in mind that out of all the people who say they're going to buy tickets at the door, the following ratios are pretty much my experience of who actually will:

1. in person - one out of two, or one out of three
2. by phone or personalized email - one out of three
3. myspace/facebook - between one in five and one in ten

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
My band had to sell 25 with our last gig and it was a pain in the ass. People say they will buy and then they will back out. It is a very stressful process, like someone said it is very hard if you do not have a following yet. We actually sold 29 some people came at the door so we made some $40 after making the club $250. The one thing I gotta say though is we played a decent club for about 60-70ppl at 7pm on a friday night and went on right before the headlining band. So i can't bitch all that much pretty good first gig.
^ I wouldn't, but its really the only place around that has live music on a regular basis that isn't a bar.
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Of course I don't wanna go in the woods. There's bears in there.

Quote by Deliriumbassist
Jeff Ament is a sexy sexy beast.

Quote by Karvid
Yes. Chest hair = automatic awesome. Even if you're a woman.
I wouldn't sell tickets in the first place. I've done this once, and it sucked. There are a few wrong things with this scenario:

1) The "promoter" that has you selling the tickets probably know that you're a local "nobody" band (no offense, but it's probably true). They see you as vunerable and have you sell overpriced tickets to your sympathetic friends and family.

2) Instead of working hard on your set, new songs, stage prescence, booking more shows, or most imporantly, promoting the show WELL, you're rushing and stressing over selling tickets.

I'm not saying it shouldn't take hard work to play a good gig, but I feel that it's very unnessesary to sell advance tickets. I mean, look at your local music clubs. Say a band like Pearl Jam comes to town. They'll have advance tickets, probably the same price though. Anyways, the purpose is for people to be able to be guaranteed a place in that crowd, right?

Who wins when YOU'RE stressed selling tickets yourself as a band that nobody's ever heard of? Most promoters with the "you sell at least 25 of these, and we'll be happy". Will you be happy? Some will even say "you can keep a dollar of every ticket." Is it worth going through all that trouble of hassling your friends, family and some strangers on the internet to get $25 and play a crappy overbooked gig?

Sorry if it sounds harsh, just trying to help you out. Even if you're in this situation now, it can make you think about doing it again.