hi evryone, im new to the forums but im pretty sure that this is in the right section.
Well i want to buy a new guitar, right now i have an Ibanez GIO (came in a starter pack)
I have had it for almost 1 and a half years, i want something new, better. I play metal also some other stuff like GN'R, Led Zeppelin ( u know, the good stuff lol) I wanted to buy an x-plorer or a lespaul, but the problem is that i just found out they only 22 frets . my Ibanez has 24 so i dont wanna go down to 22. so, can you reccomend any good guitars for metal, cant be over 1000 bucks, maybe alittle but not too much. thanks for the help!!
I got a shecter tempest custom and i love it. got it for like 400 but i think they either run around 5 or 600$. i pretty much only play metal and it gets the job done real nice lol.
Why not go down to 22 frets? How many times do you honestly use the 23rd and 24th frets on the high E string? If it really is that important, I think ESP EX models have 24 frets and an Explorer-esque body shape, altho most of em do have EMG actives, which probably are too hot for Zeppelin and some old-school tones. Plenty of crunch and low-end, but not a lot of mids I dont think. IMO, just buy a Gibson Explorer. Itll be worth the money, and missing 2 frets shouldnt be that big a deal.
ibanez almost all have 24 frets and are good mid-range to expensive guitars. schecters are good if you prefer wider necks. jackson has a few models you'd probably like (considering you're talking about x-plorers). you should go to a shop and test them out since they all have really different characteristics and are all good for metal. i had the same problem when i chose my hellraiser fr. its a small thing but i really notice the difference the 2 frets make strangely. i have a telecaster i use for things other than metal, mostly blues and stuff and when i play that i never get as high as 22 so its ok, but metal you definitely notice the 23,24.
Last edited by Necronomicon at Jul 25, 2009,
Quote by Ghold125
1000 what? Also, what is your current amp?

1000 dollars and, my amp is an Ibanez GTA 15R its a pretty decent amp IMO
Quote by Necronomicon
ibanez almost all have 24 frets and are good mid-range to expensive guitars. schecters are good if you prefer wider necks. jackson has a few models you'd probably like (considering you're talking about x-plorers). you should go to a shop and test them out since they all have really different characteristics and are all good for metal. i had the same problem when i chose my hellraiser fr. its a small thing but i really notice the difference the 2 frets make strangely. i have a telecaster i use for things other than metal, mostly blues and stuff and when i play that i never get as high as 22 so its ok, but metal you definitely notice the 23,24.

yea i thought the 2 frets would make a difference, ill check out the jacksons, also, what do you think about bc rich? i always hear good and bad reviews about them...
Your really going to want to upgrade that...

What State and closest major city do you live near?
Quote by Ghold125
Your really going to want to upgrade that...

What State and closest major city do you live near?

well, i just moved to mexico this month lol. but im not planin on buyin **** here its all like 3x the price. but i go to US alot usually florida or texas,why? and what amps u reccomend? oh btw i have a digitech rp 255 its freaking awsem so makes the amp sound better
Quote by Ghold125
Where in Texas and Florida? This is for the sake of finding used gear.

o ok, laredo texas, (probably also houston) and miami fl
no, it's not a decent amp

1000 really? wow after playing for a year I got a squier and line 6

You should really buy a fairly decent amp and a nice guitar. Also, you can live with 22 frets. GNR guitarists (Slash I presume you are following) use 22 and so does Jimmy Paige. In metal, I find my SG preforms great and it's only got 22 ( I can easily bend up to 23&24)

Amps:
little giant combo ($345)
handsome devil combo ($450)
blackstar ht-5 combo ($400)

Guitars: (tip: look at craigslist, great deals)
Gibson SG Faded ($700) <- I can vouch for this one, I own it and with some new pickups it became a demon
Ibanez S470DXQM ($650)
ESP LTD EC-1000 ($850)
ESP LTD EX-401 ($600)
ESP LTD Deluxe MH-1000NT ($750)
ESP LTD Viper 400 ($600)
Agile 3100 ($400)
Agile 3000 ($400)
Epiphone Limited Edition Les Paul Custom Classic Antique ($700)
Epiphone Les Paul Prophecy Custom EX ($800)
Epiphone Korina 1958 Explorer ($500)
"Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo."
Quote by Ghold125
When you say you play metal, what kind of metal are we talking about?

well basically anything, examples, metallica, BFMV, slayer, megadeth, iron maiden, ozzy, black sabbath, all that remains, dethklok(lol i know they not realbut i like plain their stuff) and some other stuff i guess anything but black death metal. now, im not saying i fukin pwn but ive only been playing for like a year and a half and i want something good so that i dont have to buy another guitar in a few years.
Quote by Gibshall

You should really buy a fairly decent amp and a nice guitar. Also, you can live with 22 frets. GNR guitarists (Slash I presume you are following) use 22 and so does Jimmy Paige. In metal, I find my SG preforms great and it's only got 22 ( I can easily bend up to 23&24)

Amps:

Gibson SG Faded ($700) <- I can vouch for this one, I own it and with some new pickups it became a demon
Ibanez S470DXQM ($650)
ESP LTD EC-1000 ($850)
ESP LTD EX-401 ($600)
ESP LTD Viper 400 ($600)
Agile 3100 ($400)
Agile 3000 ($400)

yea, i was thinking about that 22 fret thing cuz even kirk hammet uses a 22 fret sometimes ( hes a bigger influence in me than slash fukin love metallica in a non homo way lol.) and im gunna chek out all those guitars u said see wat i like.
Quote by Goodtimes666
if u want 24 frets and a unique body styling id say go for a bc rich. this is my dream guitar http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/B.C.-Rich-NJ-Deluxe-Warbeast-Electric-Guitar?sku=516094 i think you will dig it, its neck through , emg pickups, original floyd rose, just click the link, check it out, also look at the other bc riches they have

I was actually looking into bc rich alot but the negative reviews to positive reviews seem to be 50/50, i love how they look, but idk how they sound. i also read that the corners chip off very easily if it werent for the bad reviews ive read i would have probably made up my mind on a warbeast or an avenger S.O.B. already
dude everything gets bad reviews, EVERYTHING. the bottom line is that they are great guitars, the reviews you u read were most likely about the lower end ones, but the deluxe series are just amazing. well i cant really tell u what to do so just do what u want man
Quote by Gibshall

Amps:

Ibanez S470DXQM ($650)
ESP LTD EC-1000 ($850)
ESP LTD EX-401 ($600)
ESP LTD Viper 400 ($600)
Agile 3100 ($400)
Agile 3000 ($400)

omg loved the last 2 guitars u showed me there. especially the les paul prophecy, and the name sounds so awsem!!! "prophecy!!" lol
Quote by Goodtimes666
dude everything gets bad reviews, EVERYTHING. the bottom line is that they are great guitars, the reviews you u read were most likely about the lower end ones, but the deluxe series are just amazing. well i cant really tell u what to do so just do what u want man

well then if the deluxe ones are better, i guess my decision would be between an epiphone les paul prophecy and a warbeast. damn!! i hate deciding y cant i just get all the guitars free??? lol
I would try to just go places and play guitars. If you find one that you really dig, buy it. Every guitar is so different from the next even within the same model, you really have to feel and hear a guitar before you buy. Just my two cents
i checked out the prophecys spec sheet and the features arent as good as on the warbeast, there is no tremolo on it and its not neck through and its the same exact price, once again i cant tell u what to do but i vote warbeast
Quote by Goodtimes666
i checked out the prophecys spec sheet and the features arent as good as on the warbeast, there is no tremolo on it and its not neck through and its the same exact price, once again i cant tell u what to do but i vote warbeast

hmm see thats what i need. specific comparissons. Also dont forget that the warbeast looks awsem . you have helped alot thnx.

Evryone else u have also been alotta help tnx for evrything but i think i know wat i want now
I Recommend A Gibson Sg

It Costs Around 2200 New, Has 23 Frets, Humbucker Pickups And Sounds Great On Any Amp
ACDCFAN
Quote by ACDCfan007
I Recommend A Gibson Sg

It Costs Around 2200 New, Has 23 Frets, Humbucker Pickups And Sounds Great On Any Amp

the sg is nice, just watch out for gibsons build quality...they are either dead on or miss
Quote by Goodtimes666

Here's the thing. The epiphone will retain its value more than the warbeast and is a much better deal. First off, BC Rich may look "cool" but their quality is excessively low until you get into the USA models which cost grands more. I've played some NJ deluxe models (mainly v's) and the Prophesy, the epiphone has the deep les paul sound and I love that. You wont use that tremolo as much as you think. The only downside some may have about the epiphone is the weight, you need to be able to handle it if playing standing up. I am going to guess and say your a kid and so, just because it looks cool, it isn't always that great.
"Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo."
Quote by Gibshall
Here's the thing. The epiphone will retain its value more than the warbeast and is a much better deal. First off, BC Rich may look "cool" but their quality is excessively low until you get into the USA models which cost grands more. I've played some NJ deluxe models (mainly v's) and the Prophesy, the epiphone has the deep les paul sound and I love that. You wont use that tremolo as much as you think. The only downside some may have about the epiphone is the weight, you need to be able to handle it if playing standing up. I am going to guess and say your a kid and so, just because it looks cool, it isn't always that great.

damn now idk wat to decide, i guess ill try em both out and see what i like more. also, idk wat age range u mean by kid so im 15 btw.
I NEVER suggest BC Riches so this is rare for me.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/B.C.-Rich-Mockingbird-ST-Electric-Guitar?sku=512696
Alright, its called the Mockingbird. It has 24 frets, which you want so thats good. Its BC Rich so it can play metal well, it doesn't have EMG's, so it has more mids then there other models, but IMO, thats a good thing, even for metal, and especially for Metallica after Ride The Lightning. From when I tried the guitar, the pickups sounded good to me, and I know there not to heavy, you will be able to play your classic rock on here.
My Gear
PRS SE Custom
Fender Standard Customized Fat Strat
Baby Taylor Acoustic
Peavey Valveking 212
Boss SOD-1
Boss DD-3
Dunlop Crybaby
Peavey Channel Selector
Fender 25R practice amp