OK, here's the deal. I'm switching from guitar to bass as my primary instrument (more chances to play gigs, I find it easier to sing and play bass) and I play alternative rock/grunge (Nirvana, Mudhoney, STP and the like) and alt/nu metal stuff like Alice in Chains, Korn and Godsmack.

I was looking at a 5-string bass because I want the extended range, however I have a pretty low budget (probably about $600NZD). I've played two basses in my range that I liked - a Cort A5 or something, and a Fernandes Tremor 5 string. While the Fernandes played better, the Cort is $100 cheaper and wouldn't be a bad compromise.

Does anyone own/played/know anything about either of these two, and if so could you please give me some advice?

Our practice area and most venues have decent bass amps (often Ampeg SVTs) and if they don't I can either borrow one or DI into the PA as a last resort, so that's not a problem.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
Is the Cort an Action or Artisan? I have something that's mostly the same as an Artisan and it is awesome, the Fernandes there is most likely the X series (correct me if I'm wrong) which is a step down from the standard Tremor series.
I'm personally too lazy to go and look them up myself but I know fernandez makes some pretty decent stuff and idk too much about Cort...that being said i highly recommend looking into an Ibanez or ESP in your price range because i personally love those two brands and know they'd be good for what you're looking for but if you feel otherwise then yea go with the fernandez
I hate all Ibanez products, so I won't go near them. And there isn't an ESP I can afford.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
For NZ$600 it'll be an action, not an artisan.

It's a tough one really, the actions are a very good bass (especially in active) while the fernandes may be passive but would deliver a very different tone.

I guess go for the one you like after trying them both out - and make sure you try the active action - i find it quite a large improvement

Actually the bit that made lol is that you hate Ibanez, yet have chosen two very ibanez-esque basses
Gear:
Washburn RB2500 (5 String)
Yamaha BB400 Fretless (1981)
Carlo Giordano 3/4 Upright (White)
Cort Action 4 (Stereo-fied)
Orange Bass Terror 500
Orange 1x15 Cab
Boss GT-6 Bass Multi-effects
Both of them were active.

And my dislike of Ibanez is mostly because I've owned two Ibanez guitars (a GAX starter and an RG of some kind) and I hated them both, plus the GAX was a lemon.
Quote by Cathbard
^ The basses are different than the guitars. (thank you, captain obvious!) It wouldn't kill you to try one out if you get the chance. I don't know much about Fernandes,but people here are saying it's good, so I say you get that one if you like it much better than the Cort.
Yamaha make great basses for the price. I love my RBX170 and the RBX374 is great as well.

Ibanez K5
Warwick Rockbass Vampyre 4

Line 6 Bass Pod XT Live
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
^This man speaks true as well
Gear:
Washburn RB2500 (5 String)
Yamaha BB400 Fretless (1981)
Carlo Giordano 3/4 Upright (White)
Cort Action 4 (Stereo-fied)
Orange Bass Terror 500
Orange 1x15 Cab