So I was fiddling around on my guitar last night, and I came up with a riff that utilizes F#, E, G, Bb, and C. My question is: would F# G A Bb C D E F# even be a scale? I tried entering it into Powertab using the tonality tool and it could only recommend G. I know my circle of 5ths and everything, too, but this is just weird to me.

Could this be like the blues scale and not be a proper key but something that could be utilized?
well, its hWhWWWW for the steps, which is very... odd. riffs are riffs, they dont need to be in a key to be right. just call it a scale with passive notes thrown in.
My Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V
"Dante's Inferno" Iceman
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 112
etc.

Quote by freedoms_stain
I can't imagine anything worse than shagging to Mark Knopfler.

Maybe shagging Mark Knopfler, but that's about it.
It's G Melodic Minor.

Knowing what UGers play, though, I very much doubt that your entire song is based on the melodic minor scale; without context, I cannot determine what exactly it is that you're doing, though my guess is that you're using the F# and E as chromatic tones.
7th mode of g melodic minor
when i use melodic minor/any of its modes, i think of the scale as a dorian with a #7 so i think it'd be nice to think of this as being in d minor with a #3,viz f#. But its possible you are using some of the notes chromatically; determining this would require a sound sample of the riff.
Last edited by edgarvanburen at Jul 25, 2009,
THAT'S why it sounded so oddly... happy at points. Always forget about melodic minor .

But after some more experimenting, I tried raising the D to a D#. What would that then make it? It sounds like it's harmonic minor, but it also doesn't.

edit: You want me to post a crappy, short mp3 of it acoustic on an electric on my profile so you can hear what I'm doing?
Last edited by GuerillaGorilla at Jul 25, 2009,
^If it was the 7th mode of melodic minor in G, it would be G, Ab, Bb, Cb, Db, Eb, F. It's just G melodic minor.
It is almost certainly the minor/major scale with a few chromatic tones thrown it. Everyone needs to stop throwing around things like "the 7th mode of melodic minor"; no, it isn't.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Yeah, AA is right. Most of times stuff like this is simply minor/major with chromatics (commonly as a passing tone..) thrown in. Sometimes it would be considered in modal playing, or in one of the scales other then the common major/minor stuff. But alot of people seem to not realize that if you're playing e minor you can play F or C# or something and still be in e minor...
A scale is always a key, but a key is not always the same scale.

Passing tones don't change key.

IT depends entirely on context, and I can 100% tell you what it is if you put a recording on ur profile.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
By looking at it i'd guess it's in E minor. It's not exactly unheard of to include a b5 as a chromatic passing note in a riff.
Quote by KillahSquirrel
^If it was the 7th mode of melodic minor in G, it would be G, Ab, Bb, Cb, Db, Eb, F. It's just G melodic minor.

oops my bad
it's the g melodic minor starting at the 7th degree... sorry.