I tried searching for a topic on this but I couldn't find anything. I play slap/snap bass in a metal band (don't laugh, it sounds cool) and I was wondering what amp out there would get me the best sound. Money is not a problem (I'll just save for a bit). Thanks for your help.
Gear I Want:
-Boss GEB-7
-Boss LMB-3
-Boss CEB-3
-Korg Pitchblack
-Boss ODB-3
-Fender Road Worn 50s Precision Bass

Gear I Have:
-Peavey Millennium BXP =]
SWR WorkingPro 2x10C =D
slap in metal sounds kickass, i dont think anybodys gonna wanna make fun of it :P

Though I don't think there are many (if any) amps that are made primarily for funk, I'm pretty sure it's all in the EQing.
My Rig:
Yamaha RBX 375 bass
Peavey Millenium BXP bass (won at Summer Slaughter 2010, signed by all the bands)
Eden Nemesis NC410 320w combo amp
Check out Tyrannicide, my death/thrash metal band:
http://www.myspace.com/tyrannicidemetal
It's not my thing but I'm not going to laugh, i'ts your choice.
I have a Hartke LH1000 and imo it (or the 500) would be awesome for funk especially with aluminium or hydrive speakers.
Having said that, eqing is also very important.
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
How would you recommend EQing an amp for funk? I read the FAQ but I was wondering what you guys do.
Gear I Want:
-Boss GEB-7
-Boss LMB-3
-Boss CEB-3
-Korg Pitchblack
-Boss ODB-3

Gear I Have:
SWR WorkingPro 2x10C =D
When funk and metal comes up, I automatically think Ryan Martinie. I'm lead to believe he uses boosted bass and treble, scooped high mids and lots of low mid. And lots of compression. Stay away from valve amps unless you enjoy spending money to replace the valves on a more regular basis.
I'd go for something with a compressor. but you can buy a compressor in a pedal too, that doesn't really matter.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
When funk and metal comes up, I automatically think Ryan Martinie. I'm lead to believe he uses boosted bass and treble, scooped high mids and lots of low mid. And lots of compression. Stay away from valve amps unless you enjoy spending money to replace the valves on a more regular basis.

I'm assuming that is just for power amps? Or do pre amp tubes have this problem too?
Quote by UraniYum

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

Quote by gilly_90
I'm assuming that is just for power amps? Or do pre amp tubes have this problem too?

I'm not sure. I'd assume only preamp valves. Slapping creates spikes which can severely damage the valves, and is one of the reasons why solid state came about.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
I'm not sure. I'd assume only preamp valves. Slapping creates spikes which can severely damage the valves, and is one of the reasons why solid state came about.

I assumed the other way round mainly because I've seen Victor Wooten playing the same amp as me (tube pre amp, solid state power Hartke LH1000) and I assumed he wouldn't use something which was going to be damaged by slapping.
Though I suppose he would have the money to replace it if he killed it...
Quote by UraniYum

Quote by Cb4rabid

The Hydrives are excellent speakers, i highly recommend them
Gear:
Washburn RB2500 (5 String)
Yamaha BB400 Fretless (1981)
Carlo Giordano 3/4 Upright (White)
Cort Action 4 (Stereo-fied)
Orange Bass Terror 500
Orange 1x15 Cab
Boss GT-6 Bass Multi-effects
Would the Hartke HyDyrive 210C 250W Combo be loud enough to play with in a metal band with Rhythm and Lead guitar, Vocals and Drums?
Gear I Want:
-Boss GEB-7
-Boss LMB-3
-Boss CEB-3
-Korg Pitchblack
-Boss ODB-3

Gear I Have:
SWR WorkingPro 2x10C =D
Markbass are awesome slap and funk amps. They have some pretty great combos that are really lightweight, but they are pretty expensive compaired to the next guys amp.
...it was bright as the sun, but with ten times the heat
Quote by NearDissent
Would the Hartke HyDyrive 210C 250W Combo be loud enough to play with in a metal band with Rhythm and Lead guitar, Vocals and Drums?

You could probably just about cut it, but I would recommend going with around 300 watts and a 15 inch speaker.
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding