Hey guys I been playing guitar for about a year i am a beginner i know many shapes and scales a few chords lots of riffs and licks but i have no theory just basic blues and pentatonic.

I can solo half decent but what i am getting at is theory.

Where can i learn the systems of which scales go with which chords and what chords you can make progressions with and what scales can mix over them.Basically i have not theory of how to improvise and what can be player over what is there a system or book that explains this for beginners. I know the basic's like for example if i strum a A chord and play pentatonic licks in A minor it will work together and sound fine all though simple.

How can i learn to play a chord progression and solo over the whole thing and learn theory of how it all works and which arpeggios sound good with each chord. I can solo and play fine but i want to learn what chords and notes to play in the back ground so i can learn to make songs. I have no problem learning the scales but my problem is learning which arpeggios work over certain scales and certain chords.

Basically if i wanted to play in A minor i would like to know more than one chord progression, arpeggio & scales/patters that work over a minor or no doubt it would sound boring and get old fast. How can i learn this theory I would like to achieve knowledge of each key and what can be played in each one and how to improvise them.

Is there like sheet music for example is there any sites or tabs that have examples.
Last edited by Kiggz at Jul 25, 2009,
Maybe you should write to Eric Clapton or Neil Young and ask them, I'll bet that many of those on here who've studied theory know more than these guys.
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
Start with "the Crusades" article.

It's a great beginner theory article, and it is located on UG.

The most important thing I believe, it that you take it slowly.

Even if you can memorize what scale works with what arpeggio, your ear needs to "memorise" it as well.

What I mean by this is, is that you try arpeggio's out on different speeds, starting on different notes, and different rhythms, and even with different sounds (clean distorted etc.).

This way you will get a better overall understanding of the sound.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Quote by xxdarrenxx
Start with "the Crusades" article.

It's a great beginner theory article, and it is located on UG.

The most important thing I believe, it that you take it slowly.

Even if you can memorize what scale works with what arpeggio, your ear needs to "memorise" it as well.

What I mean by this is, is that you try arpeggio's out on different speeds, starting on different notes, and different rhythms, and even with different sounds (clean distorted etc.).

This way you will get a better overall understanding of the sound.

i am way past that point i have all my licks down believe me i can shred i can play blues ect ect i am not super **** i just do not know how to improvise like i always here stuff such as....

Hey A minor pentatonic sounds great over a a7 chord ect ect but i have no clue why or what else u can mix in which other chords work well with this scale and so forth

need i say more ?

I am looking for articles on theory and stuff if anyone has any links ect please let me know
well you want to be in key and you don't always have to but whenever a chord is played you can play any of those notes in your solo.

if you are playing in C Major and someone plays a c chord (CEG) it will sound good for you to play a C, E or G. If you play a B it will clash, but if that's what you are going for then it works I guess.
Earth without ART, is just Eh...
I'm in the same boat. I can play most anything I sit down and work at, but put me in an improv jam session and I'm lost as a lone toddler in the middle of Manhatten.

Tried it the other day with a buddy of mine who is still learning his chords. We were trying to blow off some frustration with a little jam session (he strummed/picked Am and Em)...after about 2 minutes of mixed success and sour notes, I just started playing apreggio.
Quote by AlphaBlackheart
I'm in the same boat. I can play most anything I sit down and work at, but put me in an improv jam session and I'm lost as a lone toddler in the middle of Manhatten.

Tried it the other day with a buddy of mine who is still learning his chords. We were trying to blow off some frustration with a little jam session (he strummed/picked Am and Em)...after about 2 minutes of mixed success and sour notes, I just started playing apreggio.

that is exactly my problem is there any sites that explain theory for improv ect ect ?
here is some basics that will allow you to play with heavy jazz guys (ME BITCH), the four main chords you'll come across are minor, major, half dim, and 7. taking the post-bop way of thinking: minor - Dorian, major- Lydian, half dim - loc, and 7 mixo if resolves down a 5th to maj lyd dom if it resolves down by half step and mixo b9 b13 or altered if it resolves down a 5th to minor. try to think about each chord as its own entity e.g play a Dorian on the a minor and e dor on the e minor. with these basic scales, mastered, you could fool Davis himself
Originally Posted by jmac72187
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Quote by Archeo Avis 2
here is some basics that will allow you to play with heavy jazz guys (ME BITCH), the four main chords you'll come across are minor, major, half dim, and 7. taking the post-bop way of thinking: minor - Dorian, major- Lydian, half dim - loc, and 7 mixo if resolves down a 5th to maj lyd dom if it resolves down by half step and mixo b9 b13 or altered if it resolves down a 5th to minor. try to think about each chord as its own entity e.g play a Dorian on the a minor and e dor on the e minor. with these basic scales, mastered, you could fool Davis himself

arrghh no one still understands... let me put it this way i can play almost anything i see tabbed playing and sounding good is not the problem its lack of theory and understanding of why chords are called things like Major7th chord or am chord ect ect

yea i know how they sound yea i can play them but i do not know what notes they are or what scale they come from what key they are from ect ect

I am looking for charts on systems of theory for chords scales arppegios ect ect

Is there any sites that have resources like this ?
Yes, this one. xxxdarrenxxx already told you everything you needed but for some reason you thought you were above it. The Crusades. Start from the beginning. They explain a valuable chunk of the basics.
i don't know why i feel so dry
Quote by Eastwinn
Yes, this one. xxxdarrenxxx already told you everything you needed but for some reason you thought you were above it. The Crusades. Start from the beginning. They explain a valuable chunk of the basics.

ah thank you i could not find what he was talking about

even still this is great but i am looking for charts of pdfs i can save to relate 2

I want visual picture of all key signatures what chords and scales work with them ect ect
Quote by Kiggz
ah thank you i could not find what he was talking about

even still this is great but i am looking for charts of pdfs i can save to relate 2

I want visual picture of all key signatures what chords and scales work with them ect ect

You don't need that, the Crusade Columns explain how to find out yourself. If you don't know why then it's not worth anything.
Quote by Eastwinn
You don't need that, the Crusade Columns explain how to find out yourself. If you don't know why then it's not worth anything.

alrite i will look more into it i just wanted a nice chart so when i pick a key i can pick random chords fast and quick and make little songs to practice instead of doing all the math that those lessons probably teach you but i will learn it instead of skipping key mathamatics of guitar

thanks guys
Quote by Kiggz
alrite i will look more into it i just wanted a nice chart so when i pick a key i can pick random chords fast and quick and make little songs to practice instead of doing all the math that those lessons probably teach you but i will learn it instead of skipping key mathamatics of guitar

thanks guys

It's not math -- it's actually really simple. You'll see
I really think we should sticky a thread explaining all of this so we don't get twenty of these threads a day.

Oh wait. We already do. Who would have thought?

Edit: Then again, it's closed, so you can't really discuss things.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
Last edited by food1010 at Aug 1, 2009,