Before you ask, yes I know what a bass guitar is (and I searched for this kind of thread too and didn't find one). I'm wondering what you guys think: is the bass guitar its own instrument or a variant on the guitar? Wikipedia says it is.
Quote by RPGoof
I've killed many, many people.
They respawn though

Quote by the humanity
jazz bass.

t-bird is muddy inversatile, and reminds me of emo chicks.

Current rig: Peavey Millennium 5 - Drive B15

To buy: Ampeg BA112 or BA115
It's mostly a different tuning, as a 6 string bass = BEADGC and a 6 string guitar is EADGBe.

You (usually) play bass with different methods than a guitar, although a pick is not uncommon.

And you (usually) don't play chords on bass.

I dunno, it explains itself really. It's as far away from a guitar as you can get as it has much larger strings, about a 10" longer scale length, etc...

(PS- do not accept whatever Wiki says, as it is written like people just the same as you and I, only in a much more "professional" manner.)

Edit: On another note, IMO there is much more that you can do on bass.
Edit2: They also (usually, not always) have onboard pre-amps and EQ whereas most guitars have a single catch-all tone knob, and 1-2 volume knobs and a pickup selector, whereas there are basses with a pickup selector (or blend) and EQing.
Last edited by Steve08 at Jul 25, 2009,
it's a variation of the guitar.... which is why it is called the bass guitar

GUITARS CURRENTLY USED
Ibanez RG7621
Ibanez RG121
ESP LTD H-400
Quote by SPBY
it's a variation of the guitar.... which is why it is called the bass guitar

this
Quote by element4433
One time I watched a dog lick his own dick for twenty minutes.

Quote by Roc8995
No.

Well, technically it could be done, but only in the same way that you could change a cat into a hamburger. It's an unpleasant process, and nobody is happy with the result.
Quote by Steve08

Edit: On another note, IMO there is much more that you can do on bass.

just wondering, what more do you think you can do on a bass?

GUITARS CURRENTLY USED
Ibanez RG7621
Ibanez RG121
ESP LTD H-400
Generally speaking, as this is not always the case, but guitar tapping is usually just hammer-on/pull-off alterations, whereas touch/multi finger tapping for bass is a little more frequent, but like I said this is also present on guitar.

Also, guitars usually (but not always) play a melody instead of interact the drums, whereas a bassist can play a countermelody and play with the drummer at the same time, although that would be probably be difficult. But in general, I think there is a lot more innovation capable on bass, for whatever reason.
I think the bass guitar is a variant on the guitar. They had stand up basses, then invented the guitar, then modeled the stand up bass into a form of the guitar, thus bass guitar.
Gear I Want:
-Boss GEB-7
-Boss LMB-3
-Boss CEB-3
-Korg Pitchblack
-Boss ODB-3
-Fender Road Worn 50s Precision Bass

Gear I Have:
-Peavey Millennium BXP =]
SWR WorkingPro 2x10C =D
Quote by Steve08
Generally speaking, as this is not always the case, but guitar tapping is usually just hammer-on/pull-off alterations, whereas touch/multi finger tapping for bass is a little more frequent, but like I said this is also present on guitar.

Also, guitars usually (but not always) play a melody instead of interact the drums, whereas a bassist can play a countermelody and play with the drummer at the same time, although that would be probably be difficult. But in general, I think there is a lot more innovation capable on bass, for whatever reason.

i thought you meant there were things you could do on bass not possible on guitar

GUITARS CURRENTLY USED
Ibanez RG7621
Ibanez RG121
ESP LTD H-400
Historically, it's based on the electric guitar. In construction, it's very much like an electric guitar. However, I consider it a totally separate instrument. Many of the techniques required to be a well rounded bassist aren't part of the standard electric or acoustic guitar repertoire. Plus, the general role of the bass is distinct from the guitar.
This space foreclosed, due to the ailing economy.
I wikipedia says that then wikipedia is a ***go t.
COLOURFUL SIGNATURE

compliment from fellow UGer
Last edited by theamericandj at Jul 25, 2009,
Quote by SPBY
i thought you meant there were things you could do on bass not possible on guitar

There is slapping and popping, and I don't think you can do that on guitar...or at least, not very well.
Quote by Xp3ns1v3
Everybody and their grandmother plays guitar. True men play bass.

Amen!!

Quote by ifeastonbums
it won't harm the bass, but it will harm the children, and I for one love the children.

I love the children...
Quote by SPBY
just wondering, what more do you think you can do on a bass?

one example is that slapping sounds like arse on a guitar
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
Quote by mmmmm_bass
There is slapping and popping, and I don't think you can do that on guitar...or at least, not very well.

Popping on guitar isn't hard, though it doesn't have the same sound, and I've slapped power chords for a different sound. Putting those two together as you would on a bass... not so much.
This space foreclosed, due to the ailing economy.
Well, I guess I stand corrected.
Quote by Xp3ns1v3
Everybody and their grandmother plays guitar. True men play bass.

Amen!!

Quote by ifeastonbums
it won't harm the bass, but it will harm the children, and I for one love the children.

I love the children...
The bass guitar is formality most bands have to seem have, although it is mostly just a guy making constipation faces, acting like he knows what hes doing.

Musicians I Want To See Live

Metallica
Avenged Sevenfold
RHCP
Machine Head
Five Finger Death Punch
Joe Satriani/Chickenfoot
Slipknot

To Be Continued . . .
Quote by AfroGuitarNoob
The bass guitar is formality most bands have to seem have, although it is mostly just a guy making constipation faces, acting like he knows what hes doing.

May i suggest you get out of the bass forum then?
Quote by UraniYum

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

Quote by gilly_90
May i suggest you get out of the bass forum then?

It was a joke, I plan to learn how to play bass.

Metallica
Avenged Sevenfold
RHCP
Machine Head
Five Finger Death Punch
Joe Satriani/Chickenfoot
Slipknot

To Be Continued . . .
Most instruments are variations on a theme for example saxophones vary a great deal so do brass valve instruments from cornets/trumpets (Eb on 'Penny Lane') right down to Tubas/Sousaphones.
Strings start from violins in an orchestra to the upright bass (or vice versa).
It is what these instruments are designed to do which is the defining difference; and even then there is no such law that says that sometimes these boundries cannot be ignored.
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
In my opinion, the bass guitar is the conjunction of a doublebass and an electric guitar, not a variation. Calling the bass as a variation of the guitar is the same as calling organs a piano variation - just because the instruments have simmiliar playing approaches and somewhat visual similiarity, it doesn't mean that they are a variation.
Quote by AfroGuitarNoob

*bass player pics*

I wholeheartedly agree with that!
I don't know what I'm doing, but I still do it anyway...

Just for the lulz.
http://www.maui.net/~zen_gtr/zgzine913.html

That's how the bass came to be.

Seriously? The electric bass was born out of need to have an upright that could compete over electrified guitars. Until the 1950s, most combos had an upright, even in early rock and roll. And Paul Tumarc, who is considered the developer of the first electrified bass called his instrument the "Audiovox Electronic Bass Fiddle"

Afro, I can say with some certainty that the bass community doesn't need people like you.
Referring to our instrument (which is a large part of most of our lives) as a formality makes you a perfect candidate for being being a guitarist.

Back to topic, I think that it depends on how the person plays the bass.
Justin chancellor for example, he plays it like a guitar.

I think it is a completely separate instrument, one that is a half way house between a traditional bass (read: upright) and a guitar. The design solved a few problems, being able to run it through an amp instead of being miced, and the sheer size of double basses being the main contenders.
Quote by Steve08
It's mostly a different tuning, as a 6 string bass = BEADGC and a 6 string guitar is EADGBe.

ITs actually the same tuning, just different octaves.

Look.

EADGBEADG

The Blue is the guitar the red is bass, It's like a circle, just at different octaves.
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...
Quote by biga29

Look.

EADGBEADG

The Blue is the guitar the red is bass, It's like a circle, just at different octaves.

I may have misunderstood you, but that doesn't look right
Quote by UraniYum

Quote by Cb4rabid

Quote by gilly_90
I may have misunderstood you, but that doesn't look right

What doesn't look right?
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Quote by biga29
What doesn't look right?

You've got the bass coming from the high b and e of the guitar.

I suppose as long as we can both agree that 7th fret A string on the bass is the same note as open low e on guitar then we can agree. (whether or not I understand the diagram lol)
Quote by UraniYum

Quote by Cb4rabid

Quote by biga29

Look.

EADGBEADG

Except that a 6 string bass has got a high C and not a B, as you would expect from that diagram
Maruszczyk Frog 6 custom -> TC electronic Polytune-> Markbass CMD mini 121 + Markbass traveler 121H

Playing bass in Bamboo Avenue (Like us on facebook! )
EP out now!
Quote by gilly_90
You've got the bass coming from the high b and e of the guitar.

I'm just going in terms of notes, Not the actual octave of the note, just that note itself.
Quote by sam_ofzo
Except that a 6 string bass has got a high C and not a B, as you would expect from that diagram

Because it's the last string of the bass, If you started the 6 string with an E instead of a B, You wouldn't tune it EADGCE#, that would just be weird.

It's the same reason that an 8 string guitar starts with an F# instead of a G.
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Last edited by biga29 at Jul 25, 2009,
Quote by Deliriumbassist
http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/thefitz/blog/

Read the second blog- he's completely right, the bass guitar is not a guitar.

Quote by AfroGuitarNoob

The Fitz is also right about guitarists.
Neil Gaiman's The Sandman

D E A T H of the E N D L E S S
Last edited by slurpeexyza at Jul 25, 2009,
Edit:
*stupid post* Ignore me, I'm tired and that was stupid
Quote by UraniYum

Quote by Cb4rabid

Last edited by gilly_90 at Jul 25, 2009,
Quote by gilly_90
nope, F# is 2.5 steps from B the same as B is from E and E to A

What?

F# is a half step back from a G, Which is the note that technically should start.

F#BEADGbe

That's the tuning of an 8 string guitar.

The high B in that tuning should always come after a G, but since that would make playing it weird since its the first string, It's tuned to an F#.

Just like if tune a the highest string of a 6 string to a B, instead of a C, it would completely mess up how you play that instrument.

Since they are either the first or last strings of the instrument, they get tuned different to make playing easier.

Quote by gilly_90
Edit:
*stupid post* Ignore me, I'm tired and that was stupid

haha, well I explained it anyway...
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Last edited by biga29 at Jul 25, 2009,
Quote by Casketcreep
Afro, I can say with some certainty that the bass community doesn't need people like you.
Referring to our instrument (which is a large part of most of our lives) as a formality makes you a perfect candidate for being being a guitarist.

Back to topic, I think that it depends on how the person plays the bass.
Justin chancellor for example, he plays it like a guitar.

I think it is a completely separate instrument, one that is a half way house between a traditional bass (read: upright) and a guitar. The design solved a few problems, being able to run it through an amp instead of being miced, and the sheer size of double basses being the main contenders.

Did you hear what I said? I want to learn to play bass. It was a joke.

Metallica
Avenged Sevenfold
RHCP
Machine Head
Five Finger Death Punch
Joe Satriani/Chickenfoot
Slipknot

To Be Continued . . .