Page 1 of 2
Who else has watched this? Has anyone actually watched this and not turned vegetarian or slowed down on some foods? I only watched it just last night, even though I've been vegan for a bit. I've seen plenty of other videos like this, but none go into such depth and none of them showed as messed up stuff, well some did but not frequently.

By the way, if you're interested... Type "earthlings" into google videos. Should be the first one (I imagine it would be)
Nothing, I say nothing can make me stop eating meat.

Animals, bugs, people, its all delicious.
We sailed through endless skies...

Quote by King Twili

if someone sigs this i will be fairly displeased.

Lady Gaga has a penis! >>EVIDENCE<<

i¯i▀▀▀i¯i‾°δ‾‾Pך]█████████████████████████
Quote by halvies
I don't want to watch it, it will turn me off red meat

Okay so I have a question for you, and anyone else who shares this point of view. I'm not trying to shove crap down your throat or force my opinions on you but I dunno, I've never understood how you can choose to be ignorant, shred some light on this for me? Is it because people are afraid to do the uncool thing, so they don't 'wanna hear about it so that they won't feel as guilty? Help me understand this.
Quote by Hellish_Wolf
Nothing, I say nothing can make me stop eating meat.

Animals, bugs, people, its all delicious.

Mmmm, this.
■■■
'member The Pit of 10'? oH, I 'member!

╚═ ▼▲▼▲▼═╝
I watched it about a year and a half ago, maybe two years by now. I ate some chicken earlier, and a roast beef sub yesterday.
My League of Legends stream
The morning will come
In the press of every kiss
With your head upon my chest

Where I will annoy you
With every waking breath
Until you, decide to wake up
Quote by Unourrit01
bacon. nothing can turn me off to bacon

What about super burnt bacon?
wait so just because we have become smarter and more powerful, we should stop eating meat and killing animals lower in the food chain? something we have been doing forever.
If it's going to make me give up meat, I see no reason to watch it. I love meat.
I'LL PUNCH A DONKEY IN THE STREETS OF GALWAY
You can't burn bacon, it merely becomes crispier and the crispier the better imo.
Quote by Trabo
i watched it. i dont really care. meats good fer ya

I would disagree with meat being good for you, it has some things in it that are good for you yes. But I think the good is by far outweighed by the bad. But if you have any good information to share with me, that can prove me wrong. I'd love to see it, I like to learn but I don't think such info exists. Here's a little something if you wanna watch and see particularly why it is in my eyes unhealthy.
http://video.google.com.au/videoplay?docid=-1549763175867837730&ei=UphqSonlJIiOwgOB35DyDw&q=dr.+klaper&hl=en&client=firefox-a
If that doesn't work just type in foods that kill healthy eating, it's a thing by dr. klaper.

By the way, this isn't meant to be a battle of weather or not you eat meat. It's about "Earthlings". I'd love to hear someones opinion or justification for still supporting the things they show in the video, from someone who's seen it of course. I'm genuinely curious.

As for something we've been doing for ever, I doubt we would have been to the extent we do today. Otherwise our bodies would actually be suited to it. Once again, if you actually based that on facts not just what everyone else says, I'd appreciate any links to read or watch.

Oh and dudius (my bad if I spelt your name wrong) it doesn't get into the life stock parts for a little bit. It starts off on pets and all that stuff, and after that it goes onto life stock, then to entertainment/sport.
Last edited by TimeIsTheEnemy at Jul 25, 2009,
I got to the part where they threw the dog in a trash compactor and said oh **** this. Though, I don't plan on going vege/vegan until they make meat substitutes that don't taste like ****.

EDIT: Though, now that I see that the "Food" part starts right after that, I will see how far I can get into it.
Last edited by TeslaWolf at Jul 25, 2009,
Meat is good for you but according to many nutritionists it should only be 1/3 of two meals. Here in the good ol' Yoo Ess of Ay, we eat lots more meat than we should. Thus the findings that meat is "bad" for you.

Quote by TeslaWolf
I got to the part where they threw the dog in a trash compactor and said oh **** this. Though, I don't plan on going vege/vegan until they make meat substitutes that don't taste like ****.

Haven't gotten to that part yet. I don't agree with PETA but that's mostly cuz they do more harm than good and are extremists.
Last edited by dudius at Jul 25, 2009,
Quote by TeslaWolf
I got to the part where they threw the dog in a trash compactor and said oh **** this.

Yeah that's pretty messed up but there's more sickening things in that video, in my opinion. But still, not good.
I remember my history teacher read excerpts from some book on the meat packing industry, really gruesome stuff, most of the class gagged, all I could think about was my craving for steak.
Quote by TeslaWolf
I got to the part where they threw the dog in a trash compactor and said oh **** this.

So THIS is the video that they were showing in Wildlife Biology last year! Somebody told me that people wouldn't stop crying through the few days it was shown.

I'll watch this video in a few minutes, hopefully it won't give me nightmares or anything.
Part of this Complete Breakfast!
I'm at the part where they're talking about corporate farms, and it's pretty sad. Most of my family farms, but it's small farms and very humane. Corporate farms not only make it harder for small farms, but they're very inhumane. Not really any new information to me, but just reminded me.
So can we actually get some intellectual replies, 'cause that's what I'm looking for. None of this I love meat and you can't make me stop eating. Because I'm not trying to stop you, I said so at the start. But yeah, all anyone seems to wanna say is posts like the one above. I'm not sure if people like you try to offend vegetarian/vegan people with stuff like it or you're trying to I dunno somehow justify it to yourself or what ever you're doing. Well I'm not offended by it, personally I can accept we have different views and all that kinda stuff. Doesn't bother me, I'm just trying to get other peoples opinions people I'm curious how other people perceive these things. So yes, please only semi-intelligent replies.

[EDIT] at the time of me typing "MercyfulFate505" was the post above me.
I just got though about 3 minutes and I really couldn't take any more of that crap. "All beings are equal and therefor it is impossible to accept any being suffering on a moral level." I don't watch stupid shit where the only point they have is to make you feel guilty by saying their morals are the only ones that matter. Also anything that is pathetic enough to use Nazi Germany footage to sway your opinion really shouldn't even be given a second thought.
Quote by GerGuam
I just got though about 3 minutes and I really couldn't take any more of that crap. "All beings are equal and therefor it is impossible to accept any being suffering on a moral level." I don't watch stupid shit where the only point they have is to make you feel guilty by saying their morals are the only ones that matter. Also anything that is pathetic enough to use Nazi Germany footage to sway your opinion really shouldn't even be given a second thought.

Yeah you should just skip that bit. That's not really the part in it that is relevant to the thread.
Quote by GerGuam

I agree, but only a little. I figure it's worth watching for the information, though I'm sure it won't sway my opinion that much, but I find myself pretty moderate on the issue. It is sad watching the way they treat the little piggies though.
Hitler was a vegetarian. See what vegetarians do?
Quote by SonOfSanguinus
I believe in the "personal opinion" school of thought, I doubt you've heard of it. Now, go waste your time on something that doesn't annoy me

---

Female guitarist
You want to check my profile. Do it.

Flickr
Quote by MercyfulFate505
I remember my history teacher read excerpts from some book on the meat packing industry, really gruesome stuff, most of the class gagged, all I could think about was my craving for steak.

The Jungle?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Jungle

Quote by TimeIsTheEnemy
So can we actually get some intellectual replies, 'cause that's what I'm looking for. None of this I love meat and you can't make me stop eating. Because I'm not trying to stop you, I said so at the start. But yeah, all anyone seems to wanna say is posts like the one above. I'm not sure if people like you try to offend vegetarian/vegan people with stuff like it or you're trying to I dunno somehow justify it to yourself or what ever you're doing. Well I'm not offended by it, personally I can accept we have different views and all that kinda stuff. Doesn't bother me, I'm just trying to get other peoples opinions people I'm curious how other people perceive these things. So yes, please only semi-intelligent replies.

Okay, here's my opinion.
Meat is healthy for you. Don't say that it isn't because that's not true. As with pretty much anything, too much is not. The human body has evolved to be sustained on an omnivorous diet. Sure, we can go without eating meat at all, but that doesn't mean that we should. Most people don't know how to stop eating meat and remain healthy. While the information is readily available, either from a nutritionist/doctor or the internet, most people are not willing to actually look it up.
That said, I have no problems with people who don't eat meat, provided they don't try to get me to stop (I have a friend and an ex-girlfriend who are both vegan and cool about it), and I am aware that most people eat far too much of it for it to be healthy for them, myself included. I'm working on fixing that, though I don't plan to completely stop eating meat.
Now, why do I eat meat? Personally, it tastes good, and is healthy for you in moderation.

EDIT: Also, animals need to be treated more humanely.
And another problem I have that is related to this is the government subsidies that are given to the food industry. over 70% of that goes to the meat industry, and only 0.6% goes to the fruit and vegetable industry. It needs to be changed. That was something they did during the Great Depression, and it worked for the time. It hasn't been changed since, though, and it doesn't work very well for this day and age.
The morning will come

Where I will annoy you
With every waking breath
Last edited by SOADrox429 at Jul 25, 2009,
Quote by dudius
I agree, but only a little. I figure it's worth watching for the information, though I'm sure it won't sway my opinion that much, but I find myself pretty moderate on the issue. It is sad watching the way they treat the little piggies though.

Before I ask, I just 'wanna say that I seriously am genuinely curious and not trying to force my opinions on you like some people will do. But I just want to ask why it won't change anything, or if it does it will be a very minor change. I really am interested, I wanna hear what someone has to say from the other side of it all, and you seem like one of the few intelligent people who have posted so I figure asking you is probably the best idea.

I dunno hey, I just don't get it so help me out or something.
You know, there are alternatives. You can buy from local farmers. Better for you anyways.

Quote by King Twili

Quote by Hellish_Wolf
You know, there are alternatives. You can buy from local farmers. Better for you anyways.

I have more reasons than just the treatment, and even the more "humane" farms still isn't okay for me. Healthier but still not healthy. But yeah, like I said I have various other reasons to be vegan. And also, the ones you are talking about are more expensive anyway so hardly anyone buys it.

[EDIT]
Quote by SOADrox429
The Jungle?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Jungle

Okay, here's my opinion.
Meat is healthy for you. Don't say that it isn't because that's not true. As with pretty much anything, too much is not. The human body has evolved to be sustained on an omnivorous diet. Sure, we can go without eating meat at all, but that doesn't mean that we should. Most people don't know how to stop eating meat and remain healthy. While the information is readily available, either from a nutritionist/doctor or the internet, most people are not willing to actually look it up.
That said, I have no problems with people who don't eat meat, provided they don't try to get me to stop (I have a friend and an ex-girlfriend who are both vegan and cool about it), and I am aware that most people eat far too much of it for it to be healthy for them, myself included. I'm working on fixing that, though I don't plan to completely stop eating meat.
Now, why do I eat meat? Personally, it tastes good, and is healthy for you in moderation.

EDIT: Also, animals need to be treated more humanely.
And another problem I have that is related to this is the government subsidies that are given to the food industry. over 70% of that goes to the meat industry, and only 0.6% goes to the fruit and vegetable industry. It needs to be changed. That was something they did during the Great Depression, and it worked for the time. It hasn't been changed since, though, and it doesn't work very well for this day and age.

Thanks for a good reply, meat in moderation does still have it's down side health wise. It has it's upside to. But of course, in moderation (I don't know a single person who eats whats called a healthy amount of meat) it's no where near as bad. You probably won't get calcium deficiency like you have a good chance of if you eat it regularly. And cancer rates drop, blood pressure, heart disease, obesity and the other stuff isn't as likely either. Meat does have those good nutrients in it, but so do a lot of other things and I never got it how people seem to act like they don't and even if you provide the information to show them they do, they just don't want to accept it or something. Maybe it's just people I've met.

"Sure, we can go without eating meat at all, but that doesn't mean that we should."

That does work both ways though, I'm not sure if that meant your saying we shouldn't do it. I doubt it did, but if so give me some good information why we shouldn't, I don't think such a thing exists but if so I'd love to read about it.

Yeah, I'm cool with other people. In my eyes it's wrong, but at the same time I get that it's everyone else's choice to make and I know I'm gonna push them away from what I think is right if I try and force change. I think it's much more effective if you spend your time telling the ones who actually want to know because at least at that point they are open minded to what you've got to say and might consider it.

And that little fact at the end, I didn't know that so thank you
Quote by TimeIsTheEnemy
I have more reasons than just the treatment, and even the more "humane" farms still isn't okay for me. Healthier but still not healthy. But yeah, like I said I have various other reasons to be vegan. And also, the ones you are talking about are more expensive anyway so hardly anyone buys it.

Whatever, if it bothers people so much then they should pay for it. Companies raise animals and slaughter them like that for mass production to feed all of us. If we wanted to stop it then we would HAVE to pay more to smaller farms to end that. All I saw in that video was abunch of one sided propaganda, they load it up with pictures of cute animals and talk about them being living beings and such. Then show them being slaughtered. It's trying to shock people into changing.

Quote by King Twili

Quote by Hellish_Wolf
Whatever, if it bothers people so much then they should pay for it. Companies raise animals and slaughter them like that for mass production to feed all of us. If we wanted to stop it then we would HAVE to pay more to smaller farms to end that. All I saw in that video was abunch of one sided propaganda, they load it up with pictures of cute animals and talk about them being living beings and such. Then show them being slaughtered. It's trying to shock people into changing.

There are some things I don't like about that video, I'll agree. But you cannot deny the things happening. Most of those things done in the video are widely used methods, if not all. I can't remember everything in it but still, you can't say that it's not wrong and that it doesn't happen.

Oh and, do you disagree with the statement of animals being living beings? I'll find some information if you want, not that most people would ever consider it since I guess most people are relatively close minded to this sort of thing. But if you don't really think they feel pain/emotion or what ever, feel free to give me information on your views. I'll read and consider it.

And yeah, I know they do those things because it's cheaper. More money for them, which is what I find rather stupid about a monetary system. People and things come second to money in to many situations.
Quote by TimeIsTheEnemy
There are some things I don't like about that video, I'll agree. But you cannot deny the things happening. Most of those things done in the video are widely used methods, if not all. I can't remember everything in it but still, you can't say that it's not wrong and that it doesn't happen.

I never said it wasn't or that it didn't happen. I thought that would be obvious by my previous posts. Yes, I eat the **** in stores and everything else because it's available. This is the problem with mass production. They don't give a **** about what they feed you or how healthy it is. All they care about is how much money they make off it.

Quote by King Twili

watched an hour worth of the video. lots of emotional/moral appeals (expected) what with the poor animals getting hurt and what not. Most of the logical appeals were kinda iffy though which kinda took away from the vid. Also there's not much mention of alternatives to the wrongs exposed in the video (or alteast the portion I saw) which shows the filmmakers were implying you have to stop eating meat, having pets, watching animal based sports etc. This position was pretty ineffective personally because, while I was effected by some of the images shown, none of them were compelling enough to make me say "hey I need to stop eating meat," and since the vid offers no other alternatives to save these animals but to stop consuming them, I'm forced to beleive the only way to keep going is to ignore these facts and enjoy my meat

All in all, the film could be made more effective by the incusion of alternatives to the atrocities shown. And it's really, really boring. I forced myself to watch the food portion as it is the most applicable to myself, but couldn't finish the whole thing out of pure boredom.

tl;dr I watched 2/3 of Earthlings and still want beacon
no sig for joo
Quote by matttehbassist
watched an hour worth of the video. lots of emotional/moral appeals (expected) what with the poor animals getting hurt and what not. Most of the logical appeals were kinda iffy though which kinda took away from the vid. Also there's not much mention of alternatives to the wrongs exposed in the video (or alteast the portion I saw) which shows the filmmakers were implying you have to stop eating meat, having pets, watching animal based sports etc. This position was pretty ineffective personally because, while I was effected by some of the images shown, none of them were compelling enough to make me say "hey I need to stop eating meat," and since the vid offers no other alternatives to save these animals but to stop consuming them, I'm forced to beleive the only way to keep going is to ignore these facts and enjoy my meat

All in all, the film could be made more effective by the incusion of alternatives to the atrocities shown. And it's really, really boring. I forced myself to watch the food portion as it is the most applicable to myself, but couldn't finish the whole thing out of pure boredom.

tl;dr I watched 2/3 of Earthlings and still want beacon

Yeah, you've got a good point about not showing alternatives. But I guess it would run forever if if they did. About the pets thing, I don't think they're saying "don't have pets" I think it's more to encourage people to get the animals from pounds/shelters and to have the de-sexed for their own good basically. But fair enough about the lack of alternatives shown.

And at the post 2 up, yeah. Misunderstanding, my bad. And yes I agree, generally the larger companies don't care about their customers or in this case animals. None of that matters, as long as they maximize profits then all is well to them.
<my opinion>

Because I like meat. I don't care if you pass this off as another "unintelligent" answer, it is my opinion and is why I will eat meat. As for meat being really bad for you and only having downsides I believe that that tag should only be given to "processed" meats. I don't believe that the meat I get from catching a pig will kill me if I eat it sensibly. Just the same as I wont die driving if I as sensible. Hell if your not sensible about alot of things it could possibly kill you.

</my opinion>
Quote by TimeIsTheEnemy
Thanks for a good reply, meat in moderation does still have it's down side health wise. It has it's upside to. But of course, in moderation (I don't know a single person who eats whats called a healthy amount of meat) it's no where near as bad. You probably won't get calcium deficiency like you have a good chance of if you eat it regularly. And cancer rates drop, blood pressure, heart disease, obesity and the other stuff isn't as likely either. Meat does have those good nutrients in it, but so do a lot of other things and I never got it how people seem to act like they don't and even if you provide the information to show them they do, they just don't want to accept it or something. Maybe it's just people I've met.

I know that other things have the good nutrients you can get from meat, but meat is an effective, easy, and (I know you don't really like this used as a reason, but I think it's valid.) tasty way of getting them. Less red meat would be a good thing for most people, though. Poultry and fish is much healthier (though I hate fish), but you still have to keep it in moderation.
The reason most people don't keep it in moderation is because it doesn't have that many obvious and immediate negative effects. I would necessarily say that eating it regularly is 'too much,' as long as you don't eat very much when you do eat it. Someone said it earlier in the thread, but meat should be 1/3 of 2 meals a day if someone does decide to eat it (I might not have gotten that right. It's somewhere in this thread, though.).
You can't really blame meat for the health problems that you listed above, though. It's mostly the people who eat in an irresponsible manner (including myself, but I'm working on it).

EDIT: Another thing on this part: People need to eat less, or no, processed meat. That's the most unhealthy kind of meat there is. Avoiding processed meat as much as possible is an important part of eating in a responsible manner.

Quote by TimeIsTheEnemy
That does work both ways though, I'm not sure if that meant your saying we shouldn't do it. I doubt it did, but if so give me some good information why we shouldn't, I don't think such a thing exists but if so I'd love to read about it.

I'm not saying that we should not do it, I'm just saying that it's not necessarily something we should do. I'm sort of saying that you can be healthy if you choose to eat or not eat meat.

Quote by TimeIsTheEnemy
Yeah, I'm cool with other people. In my eyes it's wrong, but at the same time I get that it's everyone else's choice to make and I know I'm gonna push them away from what I think is right if I try and force change. I think it's much more effective if you spend your time telling the ones who actually want to know because at least at that point they are open minded to what you've got to say and might consider it.

Yeah. That's how people should do things like that.

Quote by TimeIsTheEnemy
And that little fact at the end, I didn't know that so thank you

You're very welcome. I remember seeing a graph in the shape of a pyramid that gave exact numbers for how much of the subsidies go where, but those two were the only ones I remember at all.
The morning will come

Where I will annoy you
With every waking breath
Last edited by SOADrox429 at Jul 25, 2009,
I'm unsure as of what to post since I managed to finish watching it (well, most of it considering I couldn't get myself to watch the last half of the "science" part) and yet for some reason still feel the need to post. It hasn't really extinguished my desire to consume meat, but reminded me of most of the reasons I hate humanity.

Besides that, I feel the need to question this videos motives, what is it's point. Is it to get people to stop eating meat? Or is it to bring awareness of how animals are being treated? Or both? I've kind of forgotten what I'm trying to say because I can't get a few images out of my head, but I don't see how this is suppose to help anything unless it somehow get's to people higher up in society and they do something about it. And I guess chances are many of them do know about it, and aren't doing anything about it, or just don't care for whatever reason that may be (money).

I'm sorry if most of that didn't make sense or was incredibly stupid, I'm tired and I think I'm going to go do something a bit happier.
Page 1 of 2