Need some help replacing a Digitech Death Metal pedal that i bought a while ago cause i needed to be changing from clean to dist. for songs and realized a while ago it sucked horribly and I was recommended a Metal Muff but was wondering what other pedal I could get for around 70-80$USD. I play rock and metal, amp I'm using is a V50. Don't like the distortion on it much.
Gear:

Guitars:
Strat rip off
G-400 alpine white (signed by Coheed & Cambria)
ESP MF-207
RG350DX

Amp:
Crate V50 112

Effects
Electro-Harmonix Metal Muff
Are you willing to go used? You should save up a little more for a pretty nice pedal, you will probably be unhappy with an $80 in a couple months.

For one's in your price range, check out some of the MXR Distortions. The Digitech Bad Monkey seems highly rated around here but I've never used one. Deltalab rock or metal distortion pedal, never used it but it's worth looking at everything out there.
I have a huge fear if rays.
I love my DT Death Metal. The DT Hardwire series is pretty good
daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
I'm gonna need specific instructions again on how to properly dance with my pants on my head.
Quote by lolmnt
First you put your pants on your head.
Second you dance.
Third you wipe off all the pussy.
boss metal zone, that is the best distortion pedal ever made man. they go for 50-60 dollars on ebay or like 80 something new. at least check it out, i think its a lot more powerful than the metal muff.
Quote by Goodtimes666
boss metal zone, that is the best distortion pedal ever made man. they go for 50-60 dollars on ebay or like 80 something new. at least check it out, i think its a lot more powerful than the metal muff.

You're joking, right?
TS, wait, I'll check itout and get back

EDIT: Dude, if you can somehow push your budget to about 100, go Barber Electronics Dirty Bomb. Or try for a used Digitech Hardwire TL2. Sell that frontman if you're not using it, get some extra cash, that will open up more options.
Last edited by TubeAmp89 at Jul 25, 2009,
i used the metal zone for like 4 years and then after a while i started hating it. seemed like it got harder and harder to find a tone that i was happy with.

replaced it with a DT metal master and i love it. recently tried out the hardwire TL2 and thought it was actually about the same and not worth replacing the MM. since you dont already have the MM id go with the hardwire but i think they go for $100-$110. i like the tight/loose switch on that one.

how do you like your crate? ive got the vfx5212 and while the efx are rather weak, the clean is really snappy. distortion is good unelss youre looking for a metal sound. it can ALMOST pass for metal with my EMGs haha but its still worth getting a good pedal.
i have a metal muff. im just gonna tell you that if you want to do death metal. dont get it :P.

its a great pedal though. just not death metal and other hardcore tones.
Krank Distortus Maximus
Damage Control Solid Metal
Blackstar HT-DIST X
Seymour Duncan Twin Tube Mayhem

You're gonna have to save up for something decent, otherwise - the Harwire TL-2.
Quote by CrimsonBizzare
Krank Distortus Maximus

I don't really recommend this. At least to my ears, it sounds terrible.
I just checked out the Visual Sound Jekyll and Hyde, the New one. OMG I'm sold on that one...it KICKS MAJOR ASS MAN!!!wow...
DO check it out, it seriously rocks, blows the AMT pedals outta the water. I don't believe I didn't try this pedal earlier...Love at first plug in man!!
Ok, I willing to go used and I'll try to push my budget up to 100 but since I'm buying an S320 along with it I don't really have much money to spend, and I can't sell my frontman since it's damaged. And SYL love my V50, sounds awesome . Also I'd love to play Death Metal but I'm mainly looking for thrash, hard rock and things like that.

Edit: Looking at the Jekyll and Hyde it looks nice but seems a bit expensive, if it's worth the 150$ I could save up for it.
Gear:

Guitars:
Strat rip off
ESP MF-207
RG350DX

Amp:
Crate V50 112

Effects
Last edited by misfitsweare138 at Jul 25, 2009,
Quote by wildozer
i have a metal muff. im just gonna tell you that if you want to do death metal. dont get it :P.

its a great pedal though. just not death metal and other hardcore tones.

this. it does great like 80s metal, thrash and its kind of a one trick poney. but for what it does and price, its amazing.
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
PRS SE Custom 24 (GFS Crunchy PATs)
PRS SE Singlecut (Evo/Air Norton)
1989 Starforce (GFS PowerRails)
Morley Tremonti Power Wah, TS7 (808-Mod), Pitchblack, Boss DD-3, DE FnC
Quote by xxunder-takerxx
this. it does great like 80s metal, thrash and its kind of a one trick poney. but for what it does and price, its amazing.

What do you think of the Jekyll and Hyde pedal or the Blackstar HT-DIST X?
Gear:

Guitars:
Strat rip off
ESP MF-207
RG350DX

Amp:
Crate V50 112

Effects
HT DistX is heavier and more br00t4lz but the JnH is WAAAAAY more versatile. Death metal? Go Blackstar. Other styles as well? Go JnH
Keep saving. In my opinion there really aren't any good pedals for under $100. Best pedal I've ever used is a Wampler SuperPlextortion, but it will set you back $200.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
Quote by TubeAmp89
HT DistX is heavier and more br00t4lz but the JnH is WAAAAAY more versatile. Death metal? Go Blackstar. Other styles as well? Go JnH

Yea, might go for the JnH. it can handle heavy stuff right?
Gear:

Guitars:
Strat rip off
ESP MF-207
RG350DX

Amp:
Crate V50 112

Effects
I really hate to promote Danelectro after all the recent 'ripoffs' they have introduced into the marked...
but I have to say I have an ubermetal, a mega distortion, and a dano fab metal (among many others) and that dano(bought used for $5) has really got a great metal sound. very quiet, and very high gain. I like it as much as the ubermetal altho it isn't nearly as flexible.
Quote by TubeAmp89

I found that the Blackstar HT-DistX is a pretty versatile pedal, at least for a high gain pedal.
I'd suggest looking into either the Blackstar HT-Dist or the HT-DistX, they're both great pedals.
Ok, so the general consensus is to save up more and buy either a JnH or a Blackstar pretty much?
Gear:

Guitars:
Strat rip off
ESP MF-207
RG350DX

Amp:
Crate V50 112

Effects
Quote by JayT44
The DT Hardwire series is pretty good

+1

Try the Digitech Hardwire TL-2 Metal Distortion.
Gear:
Epiphone G400/L6 Spider III 15
Squier CV J-Bass/Acoustic B20
Misc. pedals

Currently saving for:
Acoustic B200

Funds:
$125/$350

Quote by m4l666
I play hard, like death metal hard

Quote by misfitsweare138
Need some help replacing a Digitech Death Metal pedal that i bought a while ago cause i needed to be changing from clean to dist. for songs and realized a while ago it sucked horribly and I was recommended a Metal Muff but was wondering what other pedal I could get for around 70-80$USD. I play rock and metal, amp I'm using is a V50. Don't like the distortion on it much.

Unlike the Death Metal, the Digitech Metal Master is a ****ing awesome pedal, basically if you have a humbucker on your guitar, it's all you're gonna need if you're going to play metal.

Or, if you want a really greasy sound, get a Boss Metal Zone MT2. But I'd still recommend the Metal Master, it's an extraordinary pedal.
Dude the thing about the JnH is that is has some SERIOUS gain in there, but it's not really voiced for death metal specifically, but can DEFINITELY handle it, if you're tuned low enough, have a warm amp so it can cook up lots of low end. It has a VERY ballsy low end/lower midrange, AND a good amount of crunch. It can give you anything from an SRV chunch to some seriously heavy tones(This is what I meant by versatile). But, If you want to stick to metal, Go Blackstar/SD Twin Tube Mayhem if you want tube pedals. Personally, I dislike the metal muff, too icepicky for me...not smooth enough.

EDIT:
DUDE
I found this:
Barber Electronics Dirty Bomb...$100...handbuilt, designed for HAI GHAINZzZ, do check it it out. I've heard only samples, sounds pretty killer.

EDIT 2: whoops I already mentioned the Dirty Bomb...
Last edited by TubeAmp89 at Jul 26, 2009,
Quote by TubeAmp89
Dude the thing about the JnH is that is has some SERIOUS gain in there, but it's not really voiced for death metal specifically, but can DEFINITELY handle it, if you're tuned low enough, have a warm amp so it can cook up lots of low end. It has a VERY ballsy low end/lower midrange, AND a good amount of crunch. It can give you anything from an SRV chunch to some seriously heavy tones(This is what I meant by versatile). But, If you want to stick to metal, Go Blackstar/SD Twin Tube Mayhem if you want tube pedals. Personally, I dislike the metal muff, too icepicky for me...not smooth enough.

+1

Quote by TubeAmp89

+15

Both are great pedals, but for real heavy stuff, go blackstar. But at lower gain settings, JnH sounds great.