Hey Guys,

I got a Jackson DX- 10DFS and I am thinking of replacing the pups with some EMG 81/85s- You think this is a good idea?
the DX10DFS has an active switch, do active pickups all have different tones? I always heard that EMGs are almost toneless
Quote by Richmanofaction
the DX10DFS has an active switch, do active pickups all have different tones? I always heard that EMGs are almost toneless

No way are EMG 81/85's toneless..

I definatly suggest getting the 81/85's dude. I love mine. Make sure you have room in your guitar for a 9 volt battery. And if you have room for 2 9 volts, you should definatly consider modding the setup so you can run 18 volts to your pickups instead of just 9, boosting the tone and clarity.

The big choice is to put the 81 in the neck and the 85 at the bridge, or vice versa?

Its all on preference, theres people that swear by both ways.

Your other option of course are Seymor duncun blackouts, which are almost the same thing. Some perfer the blackouts over the emgs and vice versa (once agian)
Treble>Epiphone Prophecy EX - MXR micro Amp - MXR Blue Box - MXR Fullbore - MXR Noise Clamp - Vox AD30VT
Bass>Ibanez BTB505 - MXR Blowtorch - MXR D.I. - Peavey MaxBass 700 - Peavey TVX410
Last edited by Vypor at Jul 25, 2009,
The "tonelessness" is what you call flat frequency response.

People kill for a pup with a flat freq response. That's why the Fender pups from the 50s are so highly sought-after. Leo purposely chose middle-aged and older women to wind the pups. He believed they had the right ear for tone.
Quote by Invader Jim
The "tonelessness" is what you call flat frequency response.

People kill for a pup with a flat freq response. That's why the Fender pups from the 50s are so highly sought-after. Leo purposely chose middle-aged and older women to wind the pups. He believed they had the right ear for tone.

+1

EMGs are only called 'toneless' because they don't fudge around with your sound like many other pickups do. Some people call this 'lifeless' because they're used to the sound of certain frequencies being either favored or dulled by the pickups, and they really think EMGs sound bland, which is a fair assessment if you're used to the added variable of a selective frequency response in your pickup. Other people treasure EMGs because you can always count on the same frequency response across all strings, and that tight articulation that EMGs are famous for...

On the other hand, EMG's bypass a lot of what your guitar tone-wood has to offer due to their on-board pre-amp, stiff housing, and heavy shielding. So, an 81 will sound pretty similar regardless of whether you've got it in a rare piece of Cuban mahogany or a sub-par slab of alder. If you like the sound of EMGs though, that doesn't really matter; just get what you like the sound of.
Last edited by lumberjack at Jul 25, 2009,
Quote by lumberjack
+1
On the other hand, EMG's bypass a lot of what your guitar tone-wood has to offer due to their on-board pre-amp, stiff housing, and heavy shielding.

I've heard that Blackouts have been engineered to be more responsive to the types of wood you use on your guitar.

Evaluate what everyone's said here about frequencies across different strings and such and make a personal decision on the sort of thing you want.
Definately recommend the 18v mod for EMG's AND the Blackouts.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Epiphone SG Special Customshop
Jackson JS30RR

Dunlop Crybaby Original
Boss Metal Zone
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Ibanez Lo Fi
Behringer Tuner

Marshall AVT100X

Quote by IUseAPurplePick
Quote by Joshrocker48
I Use a purple pick.

+1
Quote by lumberjack
+1

EMGs are only called 'toneless' because they don't fudge around with your sound like many other pickups do. Some people call this 'lifeless' because they're used to the sound of certain frequencies being either favored or dulled by the pickups, and they really think EMGs sound bland, which is a fair assessment if you're used to the added variable of a selective frequency response in your pickup. Other people treasure EMGs because you can always count on the same frequency response across all strings, and that tight articulation that EMGs are famous for...

On the other hand, EMG's bypass a lot of what your guitar tone-wood has to offer due to their on-board pre-amp, stiff housing, and heavy shielding. So, an 81 will sound pretty similar regardless of whether you've got it in a rare piece of Cuban mahogany or a sub-par slab of alder. If you like the sound of EMGs though, that doesn't really matter; just get what you like the sound of.

Hmm that is very interesting, I didn't know that it was due to the stiff housing, shielding etc.
http://www.youtube.com/user/RichManofAction

200,000 views and counting!

Quote by Perp8tualMotion
This man gets the big golden popcorn trophy which signifies an exceptionally accurate response.

Gear: Jackson SL2H, DX10DFS, Ibanez Prestige RG, Marshall JCM 2000 DSL
I played an EMG 81 that was tapped today, it was my first time with actives, and to all the haters, I say you're a bit wrong, granted it was through an MG, they still sounded exact, more precise even.

I say, go for it.
An Augmented 4th or a Diminished 5th?

Quote by I.O.T.M
You, fine sir, have impeccable taste.

Ahhhh Yuck Fou.