Page 1 of 2
So i'm looking at getting one of these i played one at the shop and oh my sounded so great

I'm wondering tho, how would it go for gigs?

I'm looking to futureproof so when i do get into a decent band / gigs i won't have to fork out more money for a amp
Heavy rock / metal

Like metallica all that remains etc

but would like it to do lighter stuff etc foo fighters etc
The Vypyr 75 is a solid state modelling amp. It is what it is. Yes, I would think you could gig with it. If you do heavier music and some rock too then maybe look at an all tube amp. The Vypyr 60 and 120 power tube versions look promising as well. Otherwise:

Budget?
Gengres?
Combo or Stack?
New or Used?
Home or Gig?
Current Gear?
Closest City?

Budget? Around $800-900AUD (so 400-500US)
Gengres? Metal / rock / heavy rock
Combo or Stack? I'd prefer combo
New or Used? Pref new (don't really like used amps)
Home or Gig? Home at first but would like to be able to do small gigs with it and band practice
Current Gear? In my sig atm
Closest City? Brisbane city
In that price range, it would be more worth it to get a tube amp. Solid states over 30 watts aren't worth it.

Try a B-52 AT112. That is one great amp, especially for the price.
Quote by user_nameless
You can go ahead and sponge my bob.

/notfunnyatalljoke.

Quote by halo43
When you date a vegetarian, you're the only meat they'll ever eat.
Hmmm how about a peavy valveking 112?

Is that any good for metal / heavy stuff?

I like the peavy vyper alot, but i want something that can handle gigs and band practice later on so i don't have to upgrade
Quote by BoL7z
Hmmm how about a peavy valveking 112?

Is that any good for metal / heavy stuff?

I like the peavy vyper alot, but i want something that can handle gigs and band practice later on so i don't have to upgrade

You can get it to do metal but you need a good distortion or overdrive pedal to do it.
Ibanez RGT42DX
Vox AC30C2
Digitech Whammy (FOR SALE!)
Dunlop GCB-95F Crybaby
Boss DD-20
Boss SD-1
Ibanez TS9DX
MXR M-108 10 Band EQ
the 75 can handle it
it is a hecka loud
but for gigs it would be real nice to have the sanpera footswitch which is the only footswitch that can be used with it

unfortunately if you get the sanpera II, its a bit pricey

about 200 USD
peavey vypyr 30
yamaha starter guitar
Agile AL-2000 Tribal Blue

R.I.P REV!

A God Has Fallen,
R.I.P. Dio!

why Scorpions Why!?!
You know,second hand JCM 900 combo's run at just about $900 on e-bay?
It may not be what your looking for,but for $900 AUD,second hand, you can do alot better than a vypyr.
I can see why someone might not want to go second hand on a guitar,because of sractches/fakes,but it's pretty hard to fake a tube amp.
Seagulls,the chicken of the ocean.

Originally posted by Gunpowder:
Everyone just jumps on the bandwagon and gives the same advice in these situations. You know what? I'm going to be different. Call the firemen.
You could do much better used for that price. Valveking +eq and OD sounds great, much better then the vypyr and will sound better louder too.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
the problem i have about pedals is i don't have much room at in my bedroom atm, i can make room but it's just annoying

Going used is hard because of where i live, also I've had bad experience with used goods it always fsks up for me (X_X)

I like valveking as well, but i'd need a pedal to get decent distortion?
If you end up deciding that you want to go with the Vypyr, I have a Vypyr 75 I'm trying to sell.
has anyone used a peavy vyper for a gig? or does anyone have a band memeber who uses one for practice

I'm wondering it goes with that sorta stuff
I've gigged with mine, it is extremely loud, clears a drummer easily and can go extremely loud before it starts to sound bad (clipping and such), it has never been over 2 (and it goes to 13) in bedroom use and for rehearsal usually around 4.
What is the Peavey vyper 100w like?

i've heard that is just a 75w with 2 speakers instead of 1?

i was looking at that as well since it's only about 100-150ish more i think, but i haven't seen any in the shops in brisbane

Also the does the 75w have like a power squeezer mode? where it will make it softer but keep the sound of being loud? like what roland cubes have
The 100w is the same but with 2 speakers instead of 1, and louder again. It's overkill though, I doubt you'll push the volume past half on a 75, let alone need the extra 25w.

The 75w has a 'squeeze' stompbox similar to that on the Cube, and the Power Sponge which basically acts like an attenuator, but only really takes effect at higher volume levels.
Look in the Gear for Metal thread. In Alf's list of amps, there are a few that are around $300-500.
The peavey 75w is looking good atm,

But what are the peavey tube amps like?

I've heard you can't just jump into using a tube amp they have to be warmed up first, and to get their real sound you have to crank them, which might not be good since i'm still living at home for the next year or two.
The Vypyr tubes are a bit better, and somewhat louder than the SS ones, but essentially the same principle. Way more expensive though. Then you move into the more expensive tube amps like Valvekings, Windsors, then 6505s and JSXs, which all have their pros and cons.

With tube amps, you need to give them a few minutes to warm up before you use them, and to get good sounds (you can still get okay sounds with them turned down) you need to push the tubes, either by cranking them or with OD pedals/active pickups/etc.
I have owned a 75 watt vypyr and i returned it after 5 days. It sounds way too digital and sounds even worse mic'd. Get a non modelling tube amp. You can probably find a used 6505 combo in your price range.
The valveking looks interesting as well since it's tube but since my bedroom is under the house (it's still a big room) but the sound travels EVERYWHERE through the house it's hard for me to crank it when people are home which is only normally at night, but i work most days.

The other issue with the valveking is it's not built for metal.

I really want something like the vyper that will sound good at lowish volume and still be able to be cranked enough for small gigs / band practice (even tho i'm not at that level of playing yet, it's good to be prepared)
Quote by BoL7z
The valveking looks interesting as well since it's tube but since my bedroom is under the house (it's still a big room) but the sound travels EVERYWHERE through the house it's hard for me to crank it when people are home which is only normally at night, but i work most days.

The other issue with the valveking is it's not built for metal.

I really want something like the vyper that will sound good at lowish volume and still be able to be cranked enough for small gigs / band practice (even tho i'm not at that level of playing yet, it's good to be prepared)

It wont sound good at lower volumes. Nothing sounds good at a low volume except a minimal wattage amp. Like 5-15 watts tops.
What is the average volume to have it? I have my cube at around 4-6 most of the time
Quote by slickerthnsleek
In a bedroom? I doubt you'll push a Valveking or a Vypyr 75 past 2.5, if that.

I never even had it past 1 at home. and it goes up to 13!
I had REALLY bad luck with the Vypyr 75 and ultimately traded it in towards a 3120 purchase. Just a heads up.
Make sure you have a Peavey warranty center near you.
That said, it does sound better than any amp in its price range. Worth the risk if you're near a warrany center.
There's also the fact that people are all rage on tube amps... so i'm tempted at looking at one and also for band practice / gigs it might be better?

I still can't decide :<

Does anyone know where the peavey repair place is in Brisbane, AU?

I've heard things about peavey breaking down but other people say they've never had issues
Last edited by BoL7z at Jul 28, 2009,
The early releases of the Vypyr had issues, most have been resolved in the later models and with new firmware.

For band practise, a 10W+ tube amp would suit you well, but they're a bit more expensive, if you can afford one then they're worth it.
Yeah - you might be better off with a Blues Jr or a Crate tube or something. Valveking would work if you don't mind modding it with new speakers and tubes etc. A 112 for that reason might be worth it. You can play that amp at Vol 4 in a bedroom and may be giggable depending on how loud your band (drummer) is. If you played more metal the Vypyr 60 would worth the cost. They are like $500 US. Tube tone and tones of effects. They have been delayed so many times though I really wonder.

Can you find a used Peavey Classic 30 or something like that?

Can't speak to Peavey service centers but their web site might help and there is tons of information in their forums.

Good luck

Edit: I had you confused with someone else. If you can find a Vypyr 60 down there I'd take a hard look at it. Used 5150s/XXXs/Ultras etc too. Forget the Blues Jr and Crates.

Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Jul 28, 2009,
Would the vyper 60w tube be enough for small gigs? My only issue with tubes is they sound more fragile like having to wait for it to warmup etc and having to crank it to sound good but I'll have a look the 60w when I get home and do some googling / youtubing of it
A Vypyr 60 tube amp will be considerably louder than the 75 watt solid state version. I personally would not want to gig with a Vypyr 30 for lots of reasons. Even mic'd.

Slickerthnsleek has one for sale I see, so that may be a good way to go. I believe these have headphone jacks too but I would check that. I hear the Sampera II footswitch is the way to go so maybe factor that into your budget etc. Keep saving....it will be worth it.
You can get the Sanpera I and II, they give you a bunch more presets, 1 or 2 expression pedals (depending which one you get, you can use them as a whammy, wah, volume pedal, whatever you like) and you can use it to change between different tones. They're compatible with all the Vypyrs except the 15 I think (and maybe the 30, not sure)
Here is a handy chart I used to refer to a lot. Looks like they all come with a headphone out which is cool in my book. The Sampera II will work with any Vypyr 30 on up. Most of the bugs have been worked out I think. They do have there share of lemons so always try before you buy like anything else.

http://www.peavey.com/products/Vypyr/index.cfm
I've done a bit of youtubing on the peavy 75w and the 60w tube..

and i still can't seem to decide, the tube sounds like it has a bit more punch to it tho.

How would the 60w tube go with metallica, killswitch, all that remains, soad etc

or would the 75w be better for heavier stuff?
Last edited by BoL7z at Jul 28, 2009,
Page 1 of 2