I was going through my dad's "scrap" wood in his shop, looking for something to use for the body of a build. I came across some 3/4" thick poplar. My dad suggested laminating the wood in the like of having a piece of 1/4" wood in the middle, to have a 1 3/4" blank. He has some 1/4" mahogany that he could use to put together the blank for me. Would this be a suitable choice for a body? Is doing a 3 piece like this going to kill tone/sustain?

It would be put together like this:

[3/4" Poplar] - [1/4" Mahogany] - [3/4" Poplar]

or let P = 1/4" of Poplar and let M = 1/4" of Mahogany

PPPMPPP

Sorry, having a little fun with the diagrams...

This Guy is Stupid.
|
\/
What I think I'd do in that situation would be:
Glue the 2 peices of poplar together.
Route chambers into the poplar, and then glue the mahogany over the top and add a nice F hole.

I'd imagine it'd sound quite nice, but it's upto you.
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Last edited by RJackson at Jul 25, 2009,
I'm set on making a solid body. I just got an Agile Telecaster Thinline clone so I have no GAS for another semi-hollow at the moment.

This Guy is Stupid.
|
\/
it would work fine. just use a thin layer of glue between your laminates and you wont have an issue. some of the high end bass builders do something similar with like 1/8" thick laminates so the lines show through the carves and sh!t... besides, if you're a stickler for "teh tonewoodz make teh br00talz", poplar has a nice alder-type sound so it'll be bright despite the thin layers of glue and the mahogany in the middle... plus your arm carve and belly cuts will look schweeeet

edit:

and quit playing with your dad's wood... go mess around with your own
Support your local luthier!

Timpson Guitars and TDM Pickups rock ;D

I make guitars and pickups. I also make sh*t that'll blow you the f*k up as well as things that will rebuild you - I have the technology
According to your calculations you have double the poplar you said you have?
My Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Peavey Vypyr 30
DW Collector's 3 pc drums
Mapex Black panther snare
Sabian AAX/Zildjian K cymbals.
Yeah, if the mahogany is really nice, put it on the top Les Paul-style. If not, put it in the middle for the tonal qualities that nuthinbuttrubl8 said.
Quote by fatgraymatt
I love metal but death metal's just a bit too much for me. The most I can get into is serious-illness metal.

Quote by Gibshall
It's hard, annoying, and makes you want to punch a baby.

...With regards to guitar building, so get your mind out of the gutter you!
Quote by random_B-RAD
According to your calculations you have double the poplar you said you have?

He didn't specifically mention the quantity of which he obtained. He just simply stated it's thickness.
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.