So I got my new Seagull Slim a couple days ago but i've found I need to press down on chords a bit harder than my old guitar otherwise I get this horrible buzzing sound. The action itself is pretty good and I don't get any fret buzz. However, the extra force I have to put on the guitar strains my left hand quickly and it's also affecting the speed of my chord changes so I was wondering what I would have to do to make it easier to hold down chords without the guitar buzzing? Should I have the action lowered and if so will that risk fret buzzing as well?
^

You are probably used to using much lighter strings so it seems harder to play
“Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”

Oscar Wilde
I think that could very well be the case but i'm pretty sure the strings on my Seagull are light strings so could it be that the strings on my old guitar was just a tad lighter in gauge? I'm not sure what the string gauge of either guitars are either =/
your old guitar could have used extra lights.

honestly my new s6 action is a tad high, which makes me press a bit harder. i'm going to adjust the nut and saddle. it came with lights, btw, and this weekend i'm going to try silk and steel strings. if that doesn't do it, i'll try extra lights of some kind.
You might want to keep those heavier strings on even though it makes it a bit harder to play. It might slow you down at first but eventually your hand and finger strength will adapt to allow you to play just as well as you did before. As far as figuring out what sort of strings you have on now, do you have any friends with guitars? You could compare their strings to yours. If not you could always just replace the strings (strings are pretty cheap after all)
this is so true! for 40 years i thought almost all guitars pretty much sucked *LOL* and it turned out that most guitars just aren't set up right from the factory. most people deal with it by getting lighter strings or improperly curving the neck with the truss rod when the nut is not letting the strings move or are holding them too high.

Quote by David Collins
You likely need to take it in to a good tech and have the nut slots cut proper. Seagulls are not as bad as some companies, but pretty much no factory guitar ever comes with the nut slots where they should be. They are always left too high, because it's a very, very precise and sensitive adjustment that is not conducive to factory production.

It's a given necessity on any new guitar you buy - most players who don't have a good tech heave never played a properly cut nut, and just get used to the terrible compromise over time. When they actually do get one cut proper for the first time, the reaction is usually astonishment at how much of a difference it makes. A few thousandths of an inch makes a huge difference in feel here.
Interesting, so if I took it in to a tech should I ask to for them to take a look at the nut to see if it's okay? How much does a usual set up cost?

Also, I've heard about custom light strings that are .011 gauge and I was wondering if there is a noticeable ease in holding down chords with it compared to .012 gauge?
not if it's okay - tell them you want your guitar to be easier to play, gentler on your fingers and easier to press. i've tried hundreds of guitars and only maybe 6 were set up right for me - and of those 6, 5 cost over $2000.

yes, i notice the difference between lights and extra lights.

Quote by Fingolfin215
Interesting, so if I took it in to a tech should I ask to for them to take a look at the nut to see if it's okay? How much does a usual set up cost?

Also, I've heard about custom light strings that are .011 gauge and I was wondering if there is a noticeable ease in holding down chords with it compared to .012 gauge?