#1
My band has an amazing drummer who can record his track for a demo in 1 take flawlessly. With me, I do 2 or 3 takes and they're usually each 99% spot on. The other 1% is attributable to that one note that buzzes or the one note that's a little off the beat, or just any other small mistake. So usually I just use the first take and where there's any little mistake I just copy from another take, I edit the waveform carefully to make it seamless so it sounds like 1 single take while listening to the track on its own even before being buried in the mix.

My drummer disagrees with me, he says I should just leave that one take as it is because any edits will interfere with the purity of the tracks. I'm trying to do things more his way and getting it all right in 1 take but there's always that one little mistake that sticks out. How do the pros do it?
#2
Quote by pwrmax
My band has an amazing drummer who can record his track for a demo in 1 take flawlessly. With me, I do 2 or 3 takes and they're usually each 99% spot on. The other 1% is attributable to that one note that buzzes or the one note that's a little off the beat, or just any other small mistake. So usually I just use the first take and where there's any little mistake I just copy from another take, I edit the waveform carefully to make it seamless so it sounds like 1 single take while listening to the track on its own even before being buried in the mix.

My drummer disagrees with me, he says I should just leave that one take as it is because any edits will interfere with the purity of the tracks. I'm trying to do things more his way and getting it all right in 1 take but there's always that one little mistake that sticks out. How do the pros do it?


Lol, if you're using tracks, it isn't going to be that pure anyway. Just edit it. If he wants pure, then do raw recording with no tracks at all. Then he can be pure.

And most 'pros' do edit tracks together.
#3
Well... take a look at Led Zeppelin. Jimmy Page left in "mistakes". Even on Stairway to Heaven you can hear a note or two that were like fret noises and such.

Leaving in that stuff would give it character and all, but in the end all of you as a band have to agree on what you want to hear from your tracks.

But don't go crazy with redoing tracks and stuff if you do decide to do that.
#4
edit it all you want...and i usually record stuff in parts (like solos, riffs/verse, chorus)
#5
In the old days you would have mistakes left in, you can even hear them up to appetite for destruction.

In the digital epoch, songs have been put together from various takes, eliminating mistakes and a proportion human feel.