Hey

I was given a marshall JCM800 2205 head today and i wonder "how to crank it"

It has a master volume and a normal volume, should i go with the normal volume on max and the master as low as possible or the other way around ? The reason i can't try it out myself is because i dont have a cab for it yet

Sorry i am new to these things
It really depends on what kind of sound you want. The basic "laws" are:
Low channel gain + high master gain = cleans.
High channel gain + low master gain = distortion/overdrive (amount depends on the amp).
High channel gain + high master gain = usually distortion/overdrive (amount depends on the amp).

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SINE WAVE SURFER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
I mean, you could always have the normal volume on max and the master volume on max. That would both define "cranking it" AND shake your house to the ground.

Win-win.
Your neighbours will spontaneously combust if you do crank your JCM800.

but Normal Volume/Pre Amp = Gain
Master Volume/Power Amp = Loudness

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
Given
GIVEN???
**** YOU

You lucky little bitch. Dime the mother****er now.

Normal volume will act as your standard gain knob, and master will be your typical volume knob. Turn them both up to 10 and you'll hear the amp roar.
My Gear
Guitars
Cort VX-2V
Basses
Stagg BC300
Amps
Marshall JCM900 4100 DR
Marshall 1965A
Hartke HA3500 Combo
Quote by Jesstaa
Given
GIVEN???
**** YOU

You lucky little bitch. Dime the mother****er now.

Normal volume will act as your standard gain knob, and master will be your typical volume knob. Turn them both up to 10 and you'll hear the amp roar.

Yeah it was sick ... me and my brother recently started to rent a rehearsal place and the guy we rent it from wouldnt move out some stuff he left there, so we called him last week and told him he really need to come get his stuff cus we need the space badly. He says that hes out of the country and dont need it so he tells us to throw it away or do wharever we want with it.

so yeah we got a big ass piano, some old useless acoustic guitars and the JCM800
Are you sure he doesn't mean do what you want with it until he gets back, i.e move it out the way?
If video games make you violent, does monopoly make you a millionaire?
Quote by Juadafi
Are you sure he doesn't mean do what you want with it until he gets back, i.e move it out the way?

yeah he said like "i dont need it, just throw it away, sell it or do whatever you want with it"
Quote by rockerthenew
Yeah it was sick ... me and my brother recently started to rent a rehearsal place and the guy we rent it from wouldnt move out some stuff he left there, so we called him last week and told him he really need to come get his stuff cus we need the space badly. He says that hes out of the country and dont need it so he tells us to throw it away or do wharever we want with it.

so yeah we got a big ass piano, some old useless acoustic guitars and the JCM800

Lucky-ass-bast@rd.
Usually you get a smoother gain if you crank the Power Amp a lot more than the Pre Amp, it's more responsive too because you're playing dynamics affect the volume coming from the Power tubes.
Or if you want the usual more gainy sound, crank the Pre Amp.

Eddit Van Halen for example achieves his "Brown sound" tone by driving the Pre Amp hard and running the Power Amp "cold" with a lower voltage.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Epiphone SG Special Customshop
Jackson JS30RR

Dunlop Crybaby Original
Boss Metal Zone
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Ibanez Lo Fi
Behringer Tuner

Marshall AVT100X

Quote by IUseAPurplePick
Quote by Joshrocker48
I Use a purple pick.

+1
For the "cranked" tone people talk about you want a clean preamp and distorted power amp. To do this you dime your master volume and then start with your other volume low and slowly turn it up untill you get the right amount of distortion. The sweet spot for most people is that place where you get the most distortion from your power tubes while the preamp is still clean. If you crank it too much then your preamp will distort and that starts to make your overdrive sound more muddy which is why simply cranking both volume knobs isn't the way to go.
Not taking any online orders.