I just currently finished teaching my 8 year old student Mozart's Turkish March, and we are now going to take a big leap up into Rachmaninoff's Prelude in C Minor. I am going to familiarize myself with this song before showing him so that I can take care of problems and questions he might ask.

My question is, has anyone here attempted this song, and if so, what should I look out for? Should I have him attempt to play the octaves, or turn them into single notes? Keep in mind hes 8, and he has kind of small hands, but can reach the octave. Im not sure if hed be able to do it at full speed though.

This song will be for a recital in June.
As long as he is able to reeach the Ocatave with his hand, he should be able to play that part...
The problem might be that he won't be able to play the octaves at full speed and therefore it might be better for him to start out with single notes althought it won't sound the same...
Try and error
Yeah I'd agree with Sphinx, just try it and see what happens.
sig goes here
dont start with single notes. if he learns it that way first, he will have to unlearn it later on anyway. since he has until june, that should be more than enough time for him to practise and get it up to speed, since he can already reach an octave
Pedal GAS?
Empress Heavy
ISP Dec of some sort
Keeley Katana
TC Corona/Vortex/Dreamscape
Dude your in the pit, nobody here has the sophistication or culture to play the piano here =P
Quote by Abunai X
Oh my God. I've only laughed out loud on this site about 4 tiems since I signed up.

You have just created a 5th.

Quote by cukd7x-a2-
OH. MY . GOD

for that you get the tower of lulz, with which you can reach the lulgods
Quote by AzzA2006
Dude your in the pit, nobody here has the sophistication or culture to play the piano here =P

I play the piano...
Last edited by professorlamp at Jul 25, 2009,
Quote by professorlamp
I play the piano...

OUTSIDER!!!!
Quote by Abunai X
Oh my God. I've only laughed out loud on this site about 4 tiems since I signed up.

You have just created a 5th.

Quote by cukd7x-a2-
OH. MY . GOD

for that you get the tower of lulz, with which you can reach the lulgods
Quote by professorlamp
I play the piano...

I have a sense of humor for sale...would you be interested in buying it?
Quote by The Sallad
Three fitty

why you monster , leave my family alone!!
you ain't gettin' no three fitty!!