So I've been wearing these daily contact lenses for a few months, and I've been told not to sleep in them or wear them for more than 14 hours a day. That's fine, I can normally remember to take them out quite well.

Anyway here's the question: usually when I got out drinking or to a party I don't wear them in case I forget to take them out. I can see well enough to get by without them, I don't bump into things or anything like that. But after I get a bit drunk my vision deteriorates more and I find it quite annoying.

So what happens if I DO sleep in them? I've heard it can damage your eyes, but is that due to the sleeping, or just the length of time they've been in? If I were to put a fresh pair in before I leave tonight, sleep in them and take them out when I get home tomorrow then that would still be less than 14 hours... Is that fine?

Glasses aren't an option because I've lost them.

TL;DR: Will bad things happen if I sleep in daily disposable lenses after getting drunk?

Cheers Pit.
Ask your optician.

Or just take them out after drinking. If you can find your way home, you can stab blindly into your eyes to take out two thin sheets of plastic.
Well I wear monthlys and I fell asleep in them when I went camping. I didn't damage my eyes or anything but they went really red and sore so I would recommend trying not to sleep in them. And I was only asleep a few hours so maybe I wasn't asleep long enough to damage my eyes.

EDIT: So really I don't know but try not to sleep in them just in case.
Last edited by guitar12 at Jul 25, 2009,
i slept with my soft lenses once and when i woke up they were all dry which whas quite painfull.
Playing since december 2004
Quote by BloodMoon666

*sports commentator voice*
And this thread is over!

Wonderful match by TS but in the end simply overwhelmed by the pure skill and simplicity of unfluffed. A true professional in action.
Haven't worn them while really sleeping, but I've had them in for over 24 hours. Don't recommend it, but if you don't make a habit it out of it, you'll be fine.
I have slept some nights with my lenses. I mean, you just wake up with really really really dry eyes, but I always take them out after a night like that
They get stuck down the back of your eyeball.

I do wear lenses, and I drunkenly fell asleep in them.

Trust me, do NOT do it. It, to be honest is probably the most painful thing to happen to your eyes. I was probably really unlucky but still, I wouldn't chance it.
Posted from Ubuntu.

Squier Precision Bass Special in Antique Burst (LH)
Rotosound Swing 66s, 45-105

On slapping on a bass:
Quote by supersac
pretend its a woman
i have no helpful advice

Well, I use monthly ones, and the few times I've fallen asleep wearing them, I've pretty much been fine, except for a certain reluctance to be removed on the part of the contacts, but a few drops of contact refreshing liquid sorted that out right away.
Quote by guitaro69
thanks Mighty Thor!!!!

Your throne awaits!

Put this in your sig if The Rake scared the living **** out of you.
You shouldn't do it as you can get infections. If they are dailies just slip a spare pair in your pocket and then you can throw out your old ones just before you go to sleep.

You can do it, try to avoid it though.
Quote by hug a llama
Dude, if a title read "penis pics, come on in" I think about 93% of UG would still click on it.

Quote by Burpin'Worm
Nonsense. I'm telling you, nothing makes the fairer sex swoon like an extensive knowledge of siege weaponry and medieval battle tactics.
It's because of the sleeping in them, not the length of time.

One time shouldn't cause serious permanent damage (but you could get an infection from it that would). That'll be the least of your worries when you wake up with excruciating pain in your eyes.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
Quote by druggietoad2k5

I heard that as well, sounds shit scary. I always imagine it getting sucked into your brain.

Quote by hazzmatazz
youmakemesmile...

Quote by sebastian_96
Today I stole a girls tampons for being such an annoying bitch.

MUFC

My love for you
Is like a truck
Berserker.
Quote by druggietoad2k5

I do wear lenses, and I drunkenly fell asleep in them.

Trust me, do NOT do it. It, to be honest is probably the most painful thing to happen to your eyes. I was probably really unlucky but still, I wouldn't chance it.

This. This. This. This. This. This. This. This. This. This. This. This. This. This. This. This. This. This. This. This. This. This. This. This. This. This. This. This. This. This. This. This.

Do not fall asleep in them, it really is an awful experience.
No matter how drunk I get, I always remember to take them out at the end of the night - in the same way I remember to take my shoes off and brush my teeth etc.
The thing that does it for me, is when I lay in bed the last thing I do is look at the time on my alarm clock across the room.
If I can see it perfectly I know I have my contacts in; if it's blurry I think "ehhhh, I'm tired now so I'm off to sleep"
I hope it doesn't seem, like I'm young, foolish, and green.
Let me in for a minute, you're not my life but I want you in it

O Dayya, te echaré de menos, siempre

Y siempre
Y para siempre
Quote by NinjaSlayHuman
So I've been wearing these daily contact lenses for a few months, and I've been told not to sleep in them or wear them for more than 14 hours a day. That's fine, I can normally remember to take them out quite well.

Anyway here's the question: usually when I got out drinking or to a party I don't wear them in case I forget to take them out. I can see well enough to get by without them, I don't bump into things or anything like that. But after I get a bit drunk my vision deteriorates more and I find it quite annoying.

So what happens if I DO sleep in them? I've heard it can damage your eyes, but is that due to the sleeping, or just the length of time they've been in? If I were to put a fresh pair in before I leave tonight, sleep in them and take them out when I get home tomorrow then that would still be less than 14 hours... Is that fine?

Glasses aren't an option because I've lost them.

TL;DR: Will bad things happen if I sleep in daily disposable lenses after getting drunk?

Cheers Pit.

its fine,thet'll feel a bit funy in the morning, kinda dried out but blink a bit and they'll be fine.
Quote by imdeth
Centorium you dick
I keep lookin behind me,You're amazing at this

Quote by Aerokizzombie
Dam,Cent, ur repeating man scares the shit out of me, its so true

Quote by CodChick
Omg Cent,Ive been havin nightmares because of u

Quote by MCMXCII
**** you man,I was just going to bed

I'm scary
i have the ones you leave in for 30 days at a time, even when sleeping. they're amazing. get them
Quote by Sir-Shoelace
manliest string guage? barbed wire.

Founder Of the UG Slide Player's Guild, PM me If You're Really Feelin' Dem Blues

THE PIT
"better than your average psychiatrist"
Quote by Zero-Hartman
I heard that as well, sounds shit scary. I always imagine it getting sucked into your brain.

As far as I know this is impossible. Contacts are constructed in such a way that they can't get lost behind your eye, certainly not very easily anyway.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
So long as you don't do it too often you'll be fine
The more you study the more you know. The more you know the more you forget......... so why study
Quote by shredmeiser101
i have the ones you leave in for 30 days at a time, even when sleeping. they're amazing. get them

This.

They also now do the ones that you wear at night when you sleep, you take them out in the morning and your vision is fine all day. Pretty amazing stuff.
Talk to Erowid

Quote by dead-fish

Tell me when thy band shall return to mark a schedueled performance on my nearest venue's door!
Quoth teh Loomis, "Nevermore".

Member #9 of the "Marty Friedman > You" Club. PM apocalypse13 or altronataku to join.
Quote by Jakeylee111
This.

They also now do the ones that you wear at night when you sleep, you take them out in the morning and your vision is fine all day. Pretty amazing stuff.

What?! How is that possible?
1989 Fender MIA Strat Ultra
2006 Fender Standard Strat
1985 MIJ Fender Telecaster
Martin SPD-16R

Fender Blues Deluxe

Fulltone OCD :
EH Memory Man
Xotic RC Booster
Boss RC-20XL(looper)
Honestly, I regularly sleep in mine :shrugs:
my eyes dont hurt when I do. It's recommended that you don't sleep in them because they can get uncrusted and stuff
Quote by silhouettica
Oh, DON'T use a knife. It cuts through your strings. I did that once, thinking, its the Low E, its invincible. Turns out, its not...

Quote by Kensai
Awesome
I sleep in them quite often, they'll just feel weird in the morning.
Como te
i recently started wearing contacts, and I went out one night for a friend's 21. I was drinking and stayed out pretty late. By the time I got home I was really ****ed up, tired and drunk. But I FORCED myself to take my contacts out before I crashed for the night because me optometrist advised me not to sleep in them. I think it has something to do with non-exposure to oxygen while your eyes are closed, not the duration the contacts stay in, or something like that.

ANYway, I started to take the contact from my left eye out first which was really hard to do in my drunken state. I finally got it out, and moved on to my right eye. I must've spent 30 minutes trying to get the contact out of my right eye, but I just couldn't do it, now matter how much I tried. I tried to test out my vision to see if it was actually in or not. It was weird though because I didn't know whether my vision was blurry because I had drunk too much that night or because my contact wasn't actually in. I was CONVINCED that the contact was still in my right eye because I had no memory of taking it out. So I kept attacking my eye to get the fvcker out but I just couldn't get it. My eye started getting really red and it was painful to keep attempting to take it out. I decided to fvck it, and go to sleep anyway, without taking it out. I woke up the next day and did another vision test and BOTH my eyes were blurry.

The whole thing was really weird. I put BOTH contacts in before I went out that night and only took ONE contact out when I got home. To this day I have no idea what happened to my right contact.

Bottomline; don't sleep while wearing your contacts if what you're wearing are daily's. If you have any questions about it ask your optometrist. Why the hell do you think a guitar forum can help you with this anyway?
It doesn't damage your eyes UNLESS you try and take them off as soon as you wake up.

When you fall asleep with them on the contact sticks to your actual EYE, but usually it just floats on the tear in your eye.
So just either wait or put some eye drops in, DON'T USE WATER, and just wait till they are normal again, there is a good chance your vision will be blurry for a while during this time, try not to rub and pick at them.

If you pull them off while they are still stuck to your eye the cells on your eyes stick to them and get damaged or pulled off with it, and eyes cells don't grow back.. So.. yeahhh. =P

And you can trust me, I asked my eye doctor about it once and that's almost exactly what she told me. =P