And he appeared to defy all physics! I had a question though, and even though I got to meet him after (He is seriously short by the way. ) didn't really have time to discuss the way he plays, y'know? :3

There was this song, Rylynn (starts about 4:05 in this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JsD6uEZsIsU) where he starts playing harmonics one handed, while hammering out a seperate tune with his fretting hand.

Question was: how can you do that; play a harmonic with one hand? Surely you have to be holding the fret with your fretting hand, strum and release right?

And maybe an altogether seperate question: how do I build that kind of co ordination, to be able to play such different things simultaneously? I don't even know where to begin practicing that. O__o
"Levelled up. Still no solos."
[img]http://sc2sig.com/s/eu/1405270-1.png[/img]
You can tap harmonics too. Fret the 3rd fret of the e string then tap above the 15th fret very quickly. It should result in a harmonic.
Quote by Dark Raven X
And he appeared to defy all physics! I had a question though, and even though I got to meet him after (He is seriously short by the way. ) didn't really have time to discuss the way he plays, y'know? :3

There was this song, Rylynn (starts about 4:05 in this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JsD6uEZsIsU) where he starts playing harmonics one handed, while hammering out a seperate tune with his fretting hand.

Question was: how can you do that; play a harmonic with one hand? Surely you have to be holding the fret with your fretting hand, strum and release right?

And maybe an altogether seperate question: how do I build that kind of co ordination, to be able to play such different things simultaneously? I don't even know where to begin practicing that. O__o

What he's actually doing with the harmonics is using he picking hand to do both the 'fretting' of the harmonic and the picking. More specifically; he's using his index finger on the string at the point where the harmonic is and using another finger (probably his middle) to pluck the string. It looks kind of confusing because you can't see what his hand is actually doing with his palm in the way but what I just said is at least the basic idea of the technique.

As for building that kind of rhythmic independence... I have no idea, I really wish I knew where to begin.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
You dick.
/jealous.

I love Andy McKee, but I just can't comprehend how the hell he plays!

Quote by MightyAl
How do you physically download an album? Like run your computer off a dynamo on an exercise bike?
Quote by dancesisidance
You dick.
/jealous.

I love Andy McKee, but I just can't comprehend how the hell he plays!

Bad time to mention I got an autograph? And signed duet CD with Don Ross too? >:3

Thanks for the info on one hand harmonics. I'll give it a go, but I dunno if I can get the hang of it.

Is there a thread on Andy McKee? Advice on how to play that whole drumming-while-playing style?
"Levelled up. Still no solos."
[img]http://sc2sig.com/s/eu/1405270-1.png[/img]
Yeah, saw him and Don Ross in Sweden last year, got their CD signed and met them, it was awesome. He's short, but he's not less awesome because of that.
I've heard it both ways
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
What he's actually doing with the harmonics is using he picking hand to do both the 'fretting' of the harmonic and the picking. More specifically; he's using his index finger on the string at the point where the harmonic is and using another finger (probably his middle) to pluck the string. It looks kind of confusing because you can't see what his hand is actually doing with his palm in the way but what I just said is at least the basic idea of the technique.

As for building that kind of rhythmic independence... I have no idea, I really wish I knew where to begin.

It's his thumb. He puts his index finger at the 12th fret for the natural harmonic and plucks the string behind his index finger with his thumb. The index finger is just barely on the 12th fret so when he plucks the string with the thumb, the harmonic comes out. It's the classical way of doing harmonics.

If I recall reading about Andy McKee, before he heard Don Ross, he used to play along with Eric Johnson CDs. He could have easily picked up the technique from Eric Johnson, since Eric Johnson uses it a lot as well.