Genuine question, I don't actually know why so many people I've seen here are bagging on it (other than Guitar Centre reps forcing them on you).

I'm a begginer/intermediate guitarist in the UK who's been playing for about 9 months on just a little Roland Microcube with my Ibanez ART120, and within my budget either the Spider 75watt or Roland Cube 60 are the two most appealing amps to me.

Honest answers please, it's clear people on this forum know much more than me about guitar gear so this might be a n00bish question.
reported.
Quote by slickerthnsleek
YOU WIN THE INTERNET.
Quote by dxpaintball8000
long live bucketmark.
I don't often talk badly about the spider 3, cause I've never had a long chance to listen to it properly. But, from what I've heard it's VERY digital sounding and that the cleans are terrible, and you can do a lot better for the money.
If video games make you violent, does monopoly make you a millionaire?
Quote by bucketmark
reported.

*ahem*

Quote by me a minute ago
Honest answers please, it's clear people on this forum know much more than me about guitar gear so this might be a n00bish question.

Thanks
Last edited by Ari92 at Jul 25, 2009,
It's against forum rules to ask about bad amps, for some reason.

You seem pretty genuine, and I don't see why a troll would want to ask about it anyway. Stupid rules are stupid.
Thanks, any other suggestions? Max £250 (I dunno how that translates in dollars but obviously in the same price range as the aforementioned amps.)
Genre?
Willing to go used? - Nearest major city?
home or gig?
Quote by Juadafi
It's against forum rules to ask about bad amps, for some reason.

You seem pretty genuine, and I don't see why a troll would want to ask about it anyway. Stupid rules are stupid.

No, it's against forum rules to ask about a amp that 5498743565498 people have already asked about.
My Stuff:
Epiphone SG
Jackson DK2M
Dean DOFlage ML
Dean Razorback db
VOX Valvetronix VT30
EHX Metal Muff
Dunlop Crybaby
Digitech RP90

Add me...
Quote by Juadafi
Genre?
Willing to go used? - Nearest major city?
home or gig?

Genre - Metal (Trash, Metalcore, Metallica/Trivium/Megadeth/Machine Head to name a few)
New would be best.
Home, not in a band or gig setting, but a 60watt or somehting that can be heard over a drummer when I'm with friends.
Quote by Ari92
Genre - Metal (Trash, Metalcore, Metallica/Trivium/Megadeth/Machine Head to name a few)
New would be best.
Home, not in a band or gig setting, but a 60watt or somehting that can be heard over a drummer when I'm with friends.

Cube 60
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
I agrees with Alf. Cube 60 is your best bet.

You'd get better sound playing through computer speakers than through a damned Line 6.
Cube 60. Vypyr 75. Either of those kill the Spider tonewise.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
I personally prefer Vypyrs over Cubes, but they're both good.
All of our days are numbered
I’ve taken some comfort
In knowing the wave has crested
Knowing I don’t have to be an exception
For a small practice amp they're great really. Prevents you from needing a ton of pedals and what not. I would use one for practice and just leave my gig rig at the practice spot.
*reported*

Use the searchbar buddy.
GAS LIST

Z.Vex SHO
AnalogMan Stereo Chorus
Barber Tone Press
Way Huge Supa Puss
These threads are against the rules because they turn into flame fests, and the people who start them are generally trolling. Not to mention "Why does the Spider III suck so much" has been done about a thousand times.

Your thread title could have been much better, but since you are legitimately asking for amp help, I'll leave this thread open, as long as it doesn't get out of hand.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
Because of its inbuilt effects it doesnt handle added on effects like a stompbox or wah very well. Its designed to use its own effects and they assumed that would be a majority of the time and therefore built the speaker around that. Theyre loud as anything but sound pretty bad...
Quote by InfiniteRain
I personally prefer Vypyrs over Cubes, but they're both good.

+1
Gear:
Ibanez RG-350MYE
Squire Affinity Strat

Peavey Vypyr 75 w/Sanperra II
Quote by jkielq91
i seriously believe that the people who seriously care and report people for not using the search bar and just computer nerds wih no life. why waste your effort. geez
it doesn't take a lot of effort to try and minimize needless threads, not to say that this is so.

the spider III is not a recommendable amp because it's tones are fizzy, harsh and brittle. as a practise amp, it will be fine, but there are far surpasing amplifers to do just that:

roland cube, peavey vypyr, vot vt
Quote by jkielq91
i seriously believe that the people who seriously care and report people for not using the search bar and just computer nerds wih no life. why waste your effort. geez

No. These threads come up every day. Why don't people just look at harmony central reviews?
I've talked it over with jkielq91, no need to keep arguing with him about it.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
off topic thread. Read the rules before posting.. jeez.

anyways, most people hate it because it sounds digital. We have been spoiled by sounds of really good amps, and have come to seriously dislike the cheap amps. That being said, however, I don't think Spiders are all that bad for what they're made for. PRACTICE!!! They're practice amps. No need to bash on them too much. All you need them for is to make a sound so you can hear if you're playing things correctly. I've played far worse amps, but people like to flame the spider because so many people have them, and they suck. I say let them be and discover on their own that the spider sucks. It's subjective anyways. Don't taint people's minds.
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
Quote by apak

Read the entire thread. I've already addressed it.

Quote by ibz_bucket

Quote by tubetime86
Quote by apak

anyways, most people hate it because it sounds digital. We have been spoiled by sounds of really good amps, and have come to seriously dislike the cheap amps. That being said, however, I don't think Spiders are all that bad for what they're made for. PRACTICE!!! They're practice amps. No need to bash on them too much. All you need them for is to make a sound so you can hear if you're playing things correctly. I've played far worse amps, but people like to flame the spider because so many people have them, and they suck. I say let them be and discover on their own that the spider sucks. It's subjective anyways. Don't taint people's minds.

what's bad about the spiders is that people get the 150 watters and the half stacks, thinking they're getting more than a practice amp. even though they aren't.

that being said, get the vypyr or the cube
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Quote by jamesfarr

Why don't people just look at harmony central reviews?

Because the Spider probably gets an 8.5/10 on there.

In any case, TS, use the searchbar, if you've noticed all these threads "bagging" on it, as you put it, then you should know exactly why not to get the Spider. The Cube is way better, anyway.
I have the spiderIII 15w for $99 as a practice amp for the bedroom and its fine for practice as previously stated. I tried it against small cubes, vox's, peavey (before vyper came out), crates and liked the spider best at low volumes and you can set 4 presets and recall them with a button. The key to the spider is turn down the drive knob while palm muting the Low E string open until the farting sound goes away The others in 10-15watt varieties didnt have enough distortion for my liking.
Spider IIIs are not bad. I don't understand why they have a 150w version of what is basically a home practice modelling amp though. I dont think the distortion is quite as bad as it is made out to be, but it's nothing compared with certain other amps in the same class. Effects are very digital sounding and pretty unusable for anything other than screwing around. If I was a complete beginner amp-wise I would find it more than adequate, so seeing as how you have been playing 9 months it wouldn't be a bad choice of amp, it just wouldnt be the best.
Well, I gave this thread a chance since the threadstarter had a legitimate question, but since it's nothing more than Spider talk, I'm going to close it. TS, if you still need amp suggestions, make a new thread with a better name.

Quote by ibz_bucket

Quote by tubetime86