I know the differences between acoustic and classical guitars, but I have a question about which one would work better for me. I've been playing electric for about 2 years, and I signed up for music class at my school next year. As part of the curriculum, we have to learn classical pieces (of our choice) on the instrument we play, and then perform them to the class. I was going to get an acoustic for this, because it would sound better than my electric for classical music, but I also want a classical, and I know it would sound the best for classical music. However, my parents told me this is the last guitar I'm allowed to buy while I live in their house, and I want to know which one is for me. I know I'd use the acoustic for more than classical music, but I guess my main question is this:

Can an acoustic guitar be used to play classical guitar almost as convincingly as a classical guitar, despite the different tone and playability?

And no, moving out is not an option.
Quote by sg4ever
+15,670,899,554,667,881,999

Quote by CullenT
+15,670,899,554,667,882,000
That was a post of sage advice. Listen to this guy TS.

Quote by AcousticMirror
my parents beat me for a's. I was like wtf and they were like just keeping you on your toes.

RG1570/PRS McCarty
Rebel 30
Tom Morello writes all of his riffs on a cheap classical guitar - no reason why playing one would confine you to classical music.
Yeah you could play classical music on an acoustic, but it won't sound quite as good and steel strings are kinda rough on your fingering nails. I personally would go with a classical. I love mine and rarely set it down when I'm at home. It's not as great for certain styles as a steel string acoustic, but it gets the job done.
The last guitar you're allowed to buy...Is there a reason for that?

I play classical music (what little I know) on my steel string, and it sounds fine. I own a cheap classical guitar, and I still prefer the acoustic.
RAZZLEFRAZZLE
My parents are pretty strict about "distractions" and stuff like that. They mean well, but it can be annoying sometimes. Oh well, I'll be a junior in the coming school year, and then I can buy as much guitar stuff as I want when I'm in college.
Quote by sg4ever
+15,670,899,554,667,881,999

Quote by CullenT
+15,670,899,554,667,882,000
That was a post of sage advice. Listen to this guy TS.

Quote by AcousticMirror
my parents beat me for a's. I was like wtf and they were like just keeping you on your toes.

RG1570/PRS McCarty
Rebel 30
Quote by ibz_bucket
My parents are pretty strict about "distractions" and stuff like that. They mean well, but it can be annoying sometimes. Oh well, I'll be a junior in the coming school year, and then I can buy as much guitar stuff as I want when I'm in college.

In that case, I would go with the acoustic. You can always get the classical later. Then again, it's all about preference and what style of music you enjoy playing the most.

Edit: I've not had any problem finger-picking a steel-string acoustic. Of course, I don't use my nails either. I like the more mellow tone of skin on string for finger-picking. Guess some people may say I'm not doing it right.
Last edited by AlphaBlackheart at Jul 25, 2009,