Iv been playing guitar for around 2 years and i really want to learn songs by steve vai, joe satriani, yngwie malmsteen, paul gilbert etc but at the moment i am not good enough to even attempt there songs can anyone tell me anything i can do to get me towards playing songs by these guitarists, and exercises or songs that can build me up thats what i looking for

thanks in advance

i didnt where to post this, apoligies if i put it in the wrong place
"curse of castle dragon" is a very easy Gilbert song to start with
"diet to live" is an easy Vai song
"friends" is an easy Satch song
Quote by AA00P
Listen to the man, he's Jewish.
Basically, you want to get wicked sweeps right? I havent playd for quite awhile and ive gotten out of touch, im actualy going to start a bit back and learn basic technique to get better.

Learn any sweep that has the techniques these songs use, for example, if you can tap, or dont know how, get a lesson on this (UG is very helpful for lessons, once again im going here for more beginner technique so i dont have sloppy songs anymore =D) And then get better at that technique.

Take things SLOW, i thought i was doing it right, i could play a fair few sweeps, but i learned them too fast, thinking it was easy, and i ended up getting very sloppy notes and stuff. If its a sweep or whatever, start it at an slow rate, going bit by bit, until you can play it all slowly, then up the tempo 1 or 2 Beats, getting it slow.

Pain in the ass right? xD but it pays off with great results

Hope i was some help

Cheers
Quote by texico11
Outside? What is outside? I know only of the pit!
Home is a really easy Satch song. It's more of a feel thing as opposed to Satch blazing his fingers off. But to learn to play like Gilbert, Satch and Vai, learn fast alternate picking with string skips (a la Scarified by Racer X for Gilbert), fast blues hammers and pulls (like in Surfing with the Alien by Satch) and melodic phrasing using whammies, vibrato etc for Vai (obvious example - For The Love of God)
Try and play them even if they're way hard for you. The first time you hit an obstacle think about why you can't do it. Is it alternate picking? Are your movements too big? Can you not keep the rhythm? Once you know the answer, practice what you need.
always with me, always with you was the first satch song i learnt

it taught me alot about patience and forced me to play as clean as possible
Last edited by NzMetalKid at Jul 25, 2009,
If you want to learn one of their songs, just take it one lick at a time.
If the fingering or the picking feels awkward and/or too hard, practice it. Eventually, it will feel natural, and you would have improved.

Also, each of those guitarists you mentioned have signature licks. YouTube search them. Once you can master these, it will feel much easier.
My Last.fm
USA Fender Stratocaster | Roland Cube 60 | VOX ToneLab LE
It is easy to think that a song is not realistic to attempt because you will not be able to get it up to speed. Not true. Even if you are not a point where you will be able to reach song speed, there is a great deal of value in learning the song anyway. Sure you will not have the enjoyment of playing along with the CD, but you will learn a great deal, and enjoy playing the song regardless.
Quote by se012101
It is easy to think that a song is not realistic to attempt because you will not be able to get it up to speed. Not true. Even if you are not a point where you will be able to reach song speed, there is a great deal of value in learning the song anyway. Sure you will not have the enjoyment of playing along with the CD, but you will learn a great deal, and enjoy playing the song regardless.

this man speaks the truth