I'm writing a song that'll probably be called Dream Sequence, and my plan is to write it with a narrative structure instead of a verse-chorus-verse structure, and have multiple sections, each with a different style and mood. It'll be an instrumental until nearly the end, and hopefully by that time vocals will be the one thing the listener won't expect, except I'm stuck after the first section

I want the root note to go up a tone, and I want to have a different mood and style entirely, that's all I know. I'd be grateful for any ideas for what should go next, although any comments or criticism is welcome.

Crit for crit, if you want.
Attachments:
piccoloflutemotherfuck.gp5
I'LL PUNCH A DONKEY IN THE STREETS OF GALWAY
Last edited by whalepudding at Jul 26, 2009,

That's awesome! It depends on what the next part of the narrative. I listened to the whole thing several times and from the dark sound in the last 4 bars I'm guessing nightmare. I'm in no way as good a composer as you, but here's another 5 or 6 bars just off the top of my head of what sounded right to my ears. I was finding it difficult to describe in words so I tabbed it out. I think the vaguely metal guitar parts complement the dark acoustic riff from the previous part.

Also, this was probably no help at all, sorry
Attachments:
piccoloflutemotherfuck.gp5
My first thoughts when I opened up the file... OMFG REDD lol.

Do you have any Dream Theater interest? Something just feels like John Petrucci.

Just about every part of this song is amazing. Drums are usually harder to write in 3/4, but I solo'd the drums alone, because I was so intrigued by the handy work.

The guitar solo (thing..) really sounds like Dream Theater to me, I don't know why but it does, I think that's awesome.

The bass part for your song is pretty awesome too.

Sounds like you would see this song on a horror game. 8.5/10

Crit4Crit? The Cat's First Meow in my sig.
PSN: RokkstarX
Live: RokkyX

All my original (C4C) material is located here.
ok. this song is epic as hell.

like... i'm at a loss for words. I can't even comprehend what sort of MONSTEROUS, COLOSSAL BEAST would be LUMBERING through a rocky OUTCROP towards a rustic mountainside village, with FULL intentions of EFFORTLESSLY devouring and/or CRUSHING every single living ORGANISM there. Then leaving, with the UTTERLY DESTROYED village still ABLAZE!!

Anyway thats what comes to mind.

In regards to your song, i love it. you've got so much going on.
-it's obvious you took alot of time and care on each instrument

only problem i have is that it starts to get repetitive.

As for changing the mood i think you should start by changing the ending of this movement. the way you ended it kind of finalizes it. you should keep the flow going.
-Sorry if i'm not much help. i'm not much of a theory person.

I can't wait to see where you go with this.

Would you mind looking at mine?
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1168904
Last edited by Squares at Jul 26, 2009,
Quote by Squares
ok. this song is epic as hell.

like... i'm at a loss for words. I can't even comprehend what sort of MONSTEROUS, COLOSSAL BEAST would be LUMBERING through a rocky OUTCROP towards a rustic mountainside village, with FULL intentions of EFFORTLESSLY devouring and/or CRUSHING every single living ORGANISM there. Then leaving, with the UTTERLY DESTROYED village still ABLAZE!!

Would you mind looking at mine?
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1168904

Umm, can you say big imagination? lol
PSN: RokkstarX
Live: RokkyX

All my original (C4C) material is located here.