What wood/s do you prefer the guitar made from for shredding...basswood, alder, mahogany, ash, poplar etc... A lot of people go for basswood and im not sure why.
All wood is good for shredding as long as you have a wood chipper on hand.

Seriously though, I like basswood, it's a neutral wood and it allows the electronics to shine through more.
No gods or kings. There is only zuul.
Quote by RU Experienced?
Now police, fire, and EMS vehicle's sirens sound in tritones. Suck it Christians, your protectors are satans minions.

I have been sigged by UG's Greek, what have YOU done today?
Personally I like Alder or Basswood. Mahogany works well too, but it's heavy I believe, so large bodies made of it will hurt.

Edit; Right, explanations. Alder is an excellent wood I think. I've seen people play everything from country and folk to nu-metal on alder-bodied guitars. It's got a nice, defined tone with a good clear sound. Mahogany is similar to me, but thicker, louder and more bassy, really a preference between those two. Basswood, just read the above.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 4-5
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 92-54
Last edited by necrosis1193 at Jul 25, 2009,
Basswood for shredding.

Mahogany for everything else

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
Quote by Rikki DeMartini
Ancient Chinese oak.

+1

And if you can't get a guitar made outta this you suck and should kill yourself.

Alder or good quality Basswood would be my opinion.
Basswood is my favorite. It has a focused mid-range so it cuts through. Alder and Ash are good too because they're bright. Ash is also punchy so that's good if it's your style. Basically anything that's not too dark is good or else it can get muddy. I normally don't like Mahogany, but the Ibanez S and SV are pretty good. The thinness of the body reduces the negative qualities of mahogany for shredding.
Last edited by JELIFISH19 at Jul 25, 2009,
I like alder and basswood, along with almost everyone else in this thread. One thing I'd really like is for Carvin to offer their guitars in basswood...
gotta love the plywood
To buy:

Line 6 MM4
Voodoo Lab power
Mesa Boogie Single rectifier
Done
Boss TU-3 Done
Shure SM58 Done

OUCH MY WALLET
Basswood if the guitar's a bolt-on/Floyd combo
Alder for set neck/Floyd
Ash for set neck/fixed bridge
Maple neck/body with mahogany wings and rosewood fretboard for neck-through/Floyd
100% maple for neck-through/fixed bridge

At least in terms of getting the tone balanced and clear as possible to make the most out of highly technical playing, those would be my picks.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Basswood or alder. shredding usually uses higher notes, and basswood and alder are very good woods for nice sounding highs. Mahagony is good for blues and rock soloing, because the sound is dirtier and less trebly, but for shredding IMO it's not as good as basswood or alder.
chip board if not ebony
Once I shaved them on a friends razor so when he picked it up he just goes "ARE THESE PUBES! OH MY GOD!" and starting beating the crap out of me.
I find the combination of Mahogany body, Maple neck and Ebony fretboard covers just about everything. My 'other' guitar is Alder body, Maple neck and Rosewood fretboard and it is a bit thinner sounding. Still okay though and an excellent backup.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x