So I just got a new guitar, and on the schecter website it shows it with pickup covers, but mine has none. I've seen some of this model without them before though.

What exactly do they do, and should I consider getting some?

Also, when my guitar's distorted it sounds a little muddy on the lower strings, would have covers help at all?
idk if they would help, but the covers dont make much difference. pickups without covers will sound a little brighter or high output, but its an extremely small difference. they are mostly cosmetic
Apparently, if you take the pickup covers off it gives a bit more clarity. Try Eq'ing a bit more e.g. add some mids.
Quote by Kensai
You'll find whisky very different, but try it and you'll grow into it, soon you and whisky are one, but still two, lovers dancing across a frozen lake under moonlight, wrapped in honey and warmth.

Sums up whisky perfectly
New guitar? PIX NAO.

Like people said, Pups without covers usually sound a little brighter, it also looks nice when its put with a good design.

As for the too muddy, are you using your MG's Overdrive? It could be the overdrive itself, clean channels alright. Ever considered a Dist./OD pedal?
Ibanez S540

MXR EVH Phaser
Ibanez TS-9
Ibanez WD-7
Electro Harmonix LPB-1

Traynor YCS 50 Blue
buy some, put em on if you really want em that bad
Gear:
Epiphone G400/L6 Spider III 15
Squier CV J-Bass/Acoustic B20
Misc. pedals

Currently saving for:
Acoustic B200

Funds:
$125/$350

Quote by m4l666
I play hard, like death metal hard

The flabby low end could be caused by many things. Pickups, EQ, solidstate amp, cheap speakers etc.
Quote by fretz86
The flabby low end could be caused by many things. Pickups, EQ, solidstate amp, cheap speakers, the MG, etc.

fixed
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"
Try lowering your pickups and see if that clears up the destortion.
Gibson Thunderhorse
Jackson RR24M
B52 AT100