So I'm looking to pick up a Gibson Faded SG on CraigsList. The seller sent me pics, and I got a snap of the serial:

I doctored the photo to make it clearer. Now the trouble is, the seller says he got it in 2004...and not to incriminate him, but, if I read that correctly, that serial means it was produced on the 295th day of 2007, correct?

Am I reading it wrong? Unless he's just confused, why would someone give false information of only few years difference?
breaking hearts
&
breaking guitars
Yeah. That's right. August-september area gibson, 2007, I think that was is 586th produced that day in the factory... The extra 0 should mark batch, I believe.

Edit: Ah, I guess the 5 was the batch, not the 0... What's the zero? Must have been 5th batch..
Last edited by Phantom123 at Jul 25, 2009,
Guitar Info
Your guitar was made at the
Nashville Plant, TN, USA
October 22nd, 2007
Production Number: 86
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
Good to know my eyes aren't failing me. Were there any problems with that year, or reason why he'd keep me misinformed?
breaking hearts
&
breaking guitars
Not that I know of... Maybe he's confused? He might have bought one of these in '04, and another in '07, and he doesn't realize he's selling the '07. Never heard of an issue with an '04 Faded SG though... Are there other pics? If he's consistantly certain it's '04, maybe it's a fake with a legit-looking serial number
That's what I'm worried about...pics on the way. He only sent blackberry pics so far. Any way to tell legit from fake?

breaking hearts
&
breaking guitars
Last edited by Kevy Absolution at Jul 25, 2009,
$600, im trading for a Schecter C-1+.

He says he bought it in 04 from Guitar Center. Now that I look at it, that "7" looks a lot like that other 2 in the serial, it just has no shadow in it. Hes being very open about the guitars flaws so I don't think it's really a scam, but hes getting me a better serial picture.

EDIT: Hold up, Gibby serial numbers have 8 numbers yeah? If we include that "7", that's nine...I think thats a blemish in a space between two groups of 4 numbers?
breaking hearts
&
breaking guitars
Last edited by Kevy Absolution at Jul 25, 2009,
It looks like a legit, worn brown SG Special faded from Gibson. If the clearer picture confirms it's an '02, you're ready to go, though it could be a bit cheaper. Ebay tends to sell 'em from 800 to 400, emphasizing toward about 550 for worn brown. Cherry is the favored color to most people, so the brown one is a bit less valuable in price.
Quote by Kevy Absolution
$600, im trading for a Schecter C-1+.

He says he bought it in 04 from Guitar Center. Now that I look at it, that "7" looks a lot like that other 2 in the serial, it just has no shadow in it. Hes being very open about the guitars flaws so I don't think it's really a scam, but hes getting me a better serial picture.

EDIT: Hold up, Gibby serial numbers have 8 numbers yeah? If we include that "7", that's nine...I think thats a blemish in a space between two groups of 4 numbers?

They do have 8... At some point recently (LAst few years), they added a 9th number, to signify batch. But not in 2002.. I'll check

Edit: as I thought. It's gotta be an '07. They didn't go to the 9-digit until '05. That zero WAS batch number. I knew it! It's first batch of the day, can't be an '04 OR an '02
Last edited by Phantom123 at Jul 25, 2009,
Reread my post. I misinterpreted his email; he wasn;'t told a year, just assumed from the "02". But it;'s only 8 numbers yeah?
breaking hearts
&
breaking guitars
Quote by Kevy Absolution
Reread my post. I misinterpreted his email; he wasn;'t told a year, just assumed from the "02". But it;'s only 8 numbers yeah?

Nope, it looks like 9. If it's 9, it's definitely the '07 you suspect it to be. THey changed to the 9 digits in '05 for Gibson USA
Oh boy. Can anyone else confirm that possibly any <05 SGs have a space between the numbers? Either we got a confused seller or a really badly placed blemish.
breaking hearts
&
breaking guitars
I don't think the space is much of an issue. Blemish, maybe, and you might be able to talk price down, but it shouldn't matter. I just checked the 3d view of the SG on Gibson's website, and it has like 3 spaces in it, randomly. None of the others did. I think it's just guitar by guitar. Your real issue is why a guy thinkgs it's from '04 or '02 when it's from '07.
Well the thing is, there's a chance there is a space and it's a 2000 model. I have to wait until wednesday for pictures. Sheesh.
breaking hearts
&
breaking guitars
The serial is 029570586. That would definitely put it in '07... The only way I can see you seeing it as a 2000 model would be if that 0 isn't actually there, and it were 29570586. That WOULD be 2000 (2 and the 0)... Except it'd be the 957th day of 2000. All things considered, if this guy is local, just test out the guitar. If not, why bother? Better ones are out there, for cheaper.
I know. I mean that "7" is not very clear, I only really make out the "/" shape, which could be a dark wood vein, making it 02950586. Which is the 295th day of 2000.
breaking hearts
&
breaking guitars
The deal so far is I'm trading a used Schecter C-1+ ($600 new) for this SG, the strap, and a hardshell case. I'm just plain tired of the Schecter, you know?

Thanks. I don't feel that it's anything more than a blurry picture and a misunderstanding.
breaking hearts
&
breaking guitars
Good news. He did have another and mixed the two up. The one he's selling is a 2007, I was right. hooray.
breaking hearts
&
breaking guitars