First question, i have been playing a 50W peavey amp for a while and it's gone through some serious wear and tear, and i need to get a new amp. I'd like to definitely move up to something significantly more substantial. However, i don't really know much about amps at all at what's actually better than anything else. Really, all i'm looking for is something that has a great clear clean sound. I want to mess around a lot with processing and effect pedals, so as far as the amp itself is concerned, i'm pretty much just interested in a good clean cabinet and head combination. I want to be able to play shows with it, so it needs to be relatively substantial, but not too big. However, i am on a budget. I need something in the middle of the price range (probably closer to low end) that just sounds clean. Any suggestions???

Also, i really want to find a distortion sound i like. I play a lot of indie-esque music. So i want some distorted guitar tone, but not too heavy. i just want something that's gonna add some kick to what would otherwise be a clean tone, you know? I've looked around, and haven't really found one i really dig yet. Suggestions??
Quote by nightraven
i'd go for a used fender hot rod. wonderful, warm cleans and takes pedals very well.
i know it's not a stack but trust me - it's loud and if you still need it to be louder because you're at a huge venue - they'll provide a PA.

+1
yeah i'm more so worried about being loud enough for blending in small shows that won't mic the amps, and not riding the gain on my amp too much, you know? so it does't need to be that big, just bigger than what i have.
Crank up a hot rod until it breaks up on the clean channel. It gets SO loud. Plenty of clean headroom to be had in that amp.
Fender Hot Rod would be a good clean amp. A nice OD or distortion in front of it would be a pretty versatile rig.
Your Peavey 50 watt, what amp is it exactly? If it's for instance a Solid State amp then because you say you need something bigger (im assuming louder) a 50 watt Tube amp would be plenty, I've played lots of shows with my 100watt marshall on half power (so i've played it at 50watts) where it hasn't been mic'ed up and i havent had to turn the volume past 3oclock.

Anyway as far as recommending you an amp is concerned I'd suggest a Peavey Classic 30 or 50, I love the cleans on these amps, very warm as apposed to glassy (just my preference) and they have a nice amount of distortion.
Gear:
Epiphone SG Standard - Natural Wood Finish + SD Alnico Pro 2 Bridge Pickup
Epiphone Les Paul Standard - Limited Edition Green
Ibanez S470
Blackstar HT-100 Head
Harley Benton 2x12 Vintage 30's
Vox AC4TV
Vox VT15
i'm on a budget in regards to buying several hundred dollars worth of equipment (amp) as far as the pedals go, i don't have to revert to those boss pedals quite yet, haha. i've owned that ds-1 before and it's not what i'm looking for now. I'm just looking for a pedal preference. what people have experience with that sounds good, might know a pedal with the tone i'm looking for.
Quote by SurfinWithSatch
Your Peavey 50 watt, what amp is it exactly? If it's for instance a Solid State amp then because you say you need something bigger (im assuming louder) a 50 watt Tube amp would be plenty, I've played lots of shows with my 100watt marshall on half power (so i've played it at 50watts) where it hasn't been mic'ed up and i havent had to turn the volume past 3oclock.

Anyway as far as recommending you an amp is concerned I'd suggest a Peavey Classic 30 or 50, I love the cleans on these amps, very warm as apposed to glassy (just my preference) and they have a nice amount of distortion.

The difference between 50 and 100 watts is about 3 decibels. The only benefit of 100 watts is a lot of clean headroom. You played your amp at 100 watts half volume. A cranked 50 watt amp will be different.
sorry, i was guessing on the wattage. it's an old peavey envoy, 40 watts. my bad for the mistake their.
Quote by sg4ever
The difference between 50 and 100 watts is about 3 decibels. The only benefit of 100 watts is a lot of clean headroom. You played your amp at 100 watts half volume. A cranked 50 watt amp will be different.

I didn't/don't play it at 100watts on half volume. My amp has a switch which allows me to run it at EITHER 100watts or 50 watts. I only ever have it running at 50watts. Infact since getting the amp I've often thought that getting the 50watt version would have been a better option because the 50watt also has a half power switch which allows you to run it at 25watts.
Gear:
Epiphone SG Standard - Natural Wood Finish + SD Alnico Pro 2 Bridge Pickup
Epiphone Les Paul Standard - Limited Edition Green
Ibanez S470
Blackstar HT-100 Head
Harley Benton 2x12 Vintage 30's
Vox AC4TV
Vox VT15
For distortion, check out the Fulltone OCD, Lovepedal AMP 50, MXR Distortion III, Catalinbread SCOD, or maybe the Xotix BB Preamp.
Quote by SurfinWithSatch
I didn't/don't play it at 100watts on half volume. My amp has a switch which allows me to run it at EITHER 100watts or 50 watts. I only ever have it running at 50watts. Infact since getting the amp I've often thought that getting the 50watt version would have been a better option because the 50watt also has a half power switch which allows you to run it at 25watts.

My bad.
I'd like to not spend more than 500 dollars on an amp. the goal is between 400 and 500. However, used amps are definitely an option, so if there are suggestions you have just outside of that range, feel free to express them.