I bought it a long time ago... I'm comparing it with other accoustic guitars are a local store, and mine are so thick! It's hard to play for an extended amount of time compared to the other accoustics at the store. Can anyone enlighten me on what strings my guitar probably has? Also, if I keep practicing, will the finger picking get easier on it? I am struggling because they're so thick.
Quote by crimsondarkn
Also, if I keep practicing, will the finger picking get easier on it? I am struggling because they're so thick.

Yes. You just aren't used to the heavier gauge strings. You'll eventually become accustomed to it.

Edit: And to your first question, it probably has a set of Mediums or Heavies on it. Most guitars you find in stores are strung up with Lights or Extra Lights.
Last edited by GC Shred Off at Jul 25, 2009,
i dont know what type but if its giving u trouble restring it with light gauge strings.with practice it would get easier
ಠ_ಠ
<|>
/ω\

Tell me what nation on this earth, was not born of tragedy-Primordial
prolly put 13's on there, personally i play with 12 for general playing and even down to 11 for finger picking but meh up to the person doin it
~Defiant~
if you get tired very fast, i'd change for lighter gauge
especially if you fingerpick
11s are a good start. gradually you will be able to increase string gauge
They may be thicker due to being a larger string gage. Buy some new strings to put on it and change them. But I don't think this is what the problem is. I

Now what you may be thinking of is the action. Take it into a shop and ask them to possibly lower the action.
Quote by crimsondarkn
I am struggling because they're so thick.

heheh dirty.

Uh yeah, they are just higher gauge.
Since I went from an acoustic to an electric it gets REALLY easy as the gauge is smaller, so i can imagine how hard it would be to go from smaller to larger.
Now what you may be thinking of is the action. Take it into a shop and ask them to possibly lower the action.

dude, he told that he compared thickness, i think that is more of a problem for fingerpicker.
Yeah I went from accoustic to electric then back the accoustic.

I'm a complete noob, so should I think about getting a new accoustic or simply replacing the strings on the old one? I would probably have to take it to the store
since I have no idea how to change strings.
I'm a complete noob, so should I think about getting a new accoustic or simply replacing the strings on the old one? I would probably have to take it to the store
since I have no idea how to change strings.

how old are you? no offence, i mean - learn to change strings yourself! are you going to pay off for the things you can do yourself?
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=how+to+change+acoustic+guitar+strings

btw its spelled aCoustic
one C
Last edited by Regensgeliebte at Jul 25, 2009,
and NEVER hurry. if you hurry, you gonna screw it all up. at least first time
also dont tune fast. you may break string (even not one you are tuning) if you tune fast. i had a good dozen of such breakages

It can be kind of calming (at least I feel so)

agreed
its so pleasing to you change them and tune first time (not nylon though )
Last edited by Regensgeliebte at Jul 25, 2009,
I'll give you a little hint. Keep the mediums on there until you can play just as well with them, then switch to a lighter gauge and you'll really see the difference.

I've noticed when I practice some of the harder things on my medium-gauged acoustic, they're a hell of a lot easier when I play them on my electric. The mediums will help build your speed, strength and flexibility better than playing with lights only.
are you still using the same strings that were on the guitar when you bought it? if not are you always using the same strings when you restring, and what are they?

btw, playing heavier strings didn't get much easier for me - instead it caused wrist problems. if it doesn't get easier, just get light or extra light strings. most of the strings i asked about in gc are lights.

Quote by crimsondarkn
I bought it a long time ago... I'm comparing it with other accoustic guitars are a local store, and mine are so thick! It's hard to play for an extended amount of time compared to the other accoustics at the store. Can anyone enlighten me on what strings my guitar probably has? Also, if I keep practicing, will the finger picking get easier on it? I am struggling because they're so thick.
Alright, I will do that then. Do you guys have any suggestions for guitar string brands?

I don't think the playing will get that much easier as I've had the guitar for 4 years, playing on and off yet it still kills my fingers after awhile.