Page 1 of 2
I hear loads of people complaining about bands that have one guitarist but play stuff like Ac/Dc, G 'N' R, Metallica Etc.. and saying stuff like "They only had one Guitarist so it sounded s***"

What's your view on it cause I play in a band that only has one Guitarist (Me) and we play stuff like Guns 'N' Roses and I don't see a problem with it at all.
Mark Tremonti: I have my own mixer on stage so I can alter my volmes while on stage

Myles Kennedy: And why's that Mark?

Mark Tremonti:....I have trust issues with the sound guy

Selling a Marshall DSL401!
Pink Floyd, Zeppelin, King Crimson (until Belew joined), Hendrix

would be the 4 of my favourite bands with 1 guiar.. you could go on forever listing them
erm rage against the machine, nirvana,

i actually thinks theres a previous thread on this topic
you can do it. it's just when you get to a solo it will lose the mid range and sound very empty.
Earth without ART, is just Eh...
Quote by metalzeppelin
you can do it. it's just when you get to a solo it will lose the mid range and sound very empty.

Yeah that's the only thing i dislike, but it's really weried cause some songs like when we do play G 'N' R and i play the solo, there isn't really an empty sound and our bassist is only playing a Jazz Bass which i don't think is as powerful as a P Bass.
Mark Tremonti: I have my own mixer on stage so I can alter my volmes while on stage

Nice Strat btw Metalzeppelin (Y)

you could try to have your bassist get a fuzz pedal or some effect. that would thicken the sound.
Yeah i thinking about that, cause then he can just bring it in on the solo parts.

Quote by AlphaBlackheart
I would say add an overlay track, but then people might try to accuse you of cheating.

Yeah i was thinkng of doing that but a decent loop pedal is like £220 (Line 6). But I wouldn't say it's cheat cause Brian May used to use one on his Brighton Rock solo.

dream theater xD
Schecter C-1 Classic in Seethru blue <333
Schecter Damien FR
Roland AC-60 acoustic amp
Boss GE-7 EQ
Line6 Ubermetal Distortion
Sigma Dx Acoustic
Quote by Zinnie
dream theater xD

exactly what I was going to say.

I'm the only guitarist in my band (for now), but our keyboardist helps keep the music heavy enough.
My Last.fm
USA Fender Stratocaster | Roland Cube 60 | VOX ToneLab LE
what a stupid thing to say. The greatest bands ever have only ever had one guitarist

Oh, and a little pet peave of mine. Its "one guitarist" not "one guitarists"
If it wasn't for bad luck, I wouldn't have no luck at all
yeah theres plenty of bands with one guitarist.

and i assume you meant the newer GNR cause the older one had Slash and Izzy.
Quote by JAHellraiser

Well we play the old GNR with Slash and Izzy.

Quote by baylewis
what a stupid thing to say. The greatest bands ever have only ever had one guitarist

Oh, and a little pet peave of mine. Its "one guitarist" not "one guitarists"

So i accidently pressed the S button but you can clearly see in the rest of my posts i put "Guitarist" I dunno why I'm even discussing this, it's not www.Ultimate-English.com

Quote by JAHellraiser

Bumblefoot doesn't count as 1 guitarist...
Blink 182
To buy:

Line 6 MM4
Voodoo Lab power
Mesa Boogie Single rectifier
Done
Boss TU-3 Done
Shure SM58 Done

OUCH MY WALLET
Quote by evolucian
Bumblefoot doesn't count as 1 guitarist...

I thought that GNR always had two guitarist cause after Slash and Gilby Clarke left they brought in Robin Finck and Buckethead then Buckethead left so then the brought in Ron Thal (Bumblefoot) then Robin Finck left and now they got somone else but i think at one point they had 3 guitarists or the might still have 3 guitarists....I lost track after Robin Finck Left.

Bumblefoot counts as a multitude of guitarists, lol, the dude is insane. Wasn't meaning to confuse or anything, I don't know who else is playing with him now... just saying he doesn't count as one guy when playing guitar... I hope his fingers fall off
Lol, I personally thinks he's the best guitarist Axl has had since Slash.

It could work. But if you guys ever get really good you might want to track a rhythm guitar in recordings.
Is there any relativly good guitarists that you know that could step in with you? A band sounds so much fuller with a rhythm guitar, and it isnt that hard to learn rhythm guitar unless your playing like insanely fast riffs.
Hey!Everyone!
Come and See how good I look!

You Stay Classy, Ultimate Guitar
Less than Jake. Although, the horns sort-of make up for a second guitar.
Quote by user_nameless
You can go ahead and sponge my bob.

/notfunnyatalljoke.

Quote by halo43
When you date a vegetarian, you're the only meat they'll ever eat.
Quote by Zinnie
dream theater xD

Well you don't need two guitars if you have a keyboardist. You need another instrument besides the bass for live stuff. And also that person who posted probably isn't on the level of John Petrucci. Notice that every one-guitar band always has more than one guitar on their studio tracks.

their bassist is also sick.
Last edited by metalzeppelin at Jul 25, 2009,
lol somebody said Blink 182. Damn man thats just 4 chord stuff, dont worry about two guitarists there.

yeah but lets not forget Dimebag. Look up some of their old live videos, from the Cowboys From Hell days, the bassist basically gives the rhythm while Dime solos. It sounds pretty decent. Don't worry about just having one guitarist, it's all in your head. Play with your heart and you'll do well.
I don't mean what I write in my posts.So don't argue back on it,and don't check me..Because,though I don't mean them,they are the only way I can increase my post count.
Oh and the reason why I don't think Dream Theater fits in well for this thread is because they've got a Keyboardist, who pretty much removes the need for a second guitarist. Also, DT is pretty much an orchestra by itself, everyone in that band is technically gifted.
I don't mean what I write in my posts.So don't argue back on it,and don't check me..Because,though I don't mean them,they are the only way I can increase my post count.
guyz have u forgot abt john Paul Jones??

he was the the guy holding zeppelin together
+he was a good keyboardist/mellotron/bass guy
Quote by eastern_riffs
Oh and the reason why I don't think Dream Theater fits in well for this thread is because they've got a Keyboardist, who pretty much removes the need for a second guitarist. Also, DT is pretty much an orchestra by itself, everyone in that band is technically gifted.

This incites a rather good point. I can remember Eric Clapton stating that he had some difficulties when he went from John Mayall to Cream. In John Mayall's Bluesbreakers, he was able to go crazy as the keyboardist provided much of the rythum. However when he moved to Cream, he had to be both ryhtum and lead. Case in point, compare the instrumental versions of Steppin Out from the John Mayalls to the Cream days. I personally feel the John Mayall version is the better.
If it wasn't for bad luck, I wouldn't have no luck at all
Buckethead did a cover of I believe warchild by Iron Maiden with only one guitarist, sounded awesome. Focus had only one guitarist back in the day, don't know about them now. Mr. Big, one guitarist. Dream theater, simply ****ing amazing. Jimi Hendrix. Ozzy's band when Randy was alive.
Personally, I think I don't care wether a band has one, two or three guitarists. As long as it sounds great, whatever.
Muse. One strong guitar in their studio works. (Post Origin of Symmetry) The bassist uses a fuzz to fill that void. Listen to Hysteria for a really good example of that. A 3-piece band that puts out more overall sound than most 4-5-6 piece bands.
Quote by AlphaBlackheart
I would say add an overlay track, but then people might try to accuse you of cheating.

So? There are no rules for this sort of thing. The International Committee For Correct Electric Guitar Playing isn't going to turn up at your door.

Let me give you an analogy.
You guys have played Street Fighter, right? Well, some players accuse others of not playing the game "properly", because they don't do the most flashy stuff in the game. And guess who wins?

In the end, nobody will noticed if you have an overlay track except for guitar nerds like us. The end justifies the means.
Call me Batman.
Wintersun springs to mind... seeing that Jari was the only musician, apart from a session drummer.
I made a thread about this before. My new band with 1 guitar sounds way better than my old 2 guitar band. It feels more free and if you have a good bass player, none of the heaviness is lost. In fact, it sounds even a bit heavier cuz u can hear the bass now while with 2 guitars, the bass is rarely heard. When you solo, the absence of a rhythm guitar wont change a thing if ur band is tight.

Mr. Big, Van Halen, Muse, Incubus, Bon Jovi, Hendrix, Wolfmother (before)... the list goes on and on. 1 guitar bands are awesome. ESPECIALLY if they're kinda heavy music.
Page 1 of 2