Page 1 of 2
this is for my own benefit but i want to open a decent sized venue and i wanna know coming from yall the musicians, what do yall want in a venue

cause i know yall have played in some crappy places before, so have i, the point is i want to build a venue that is intended to make not only the audience have a good time but the band aswell

some of my Major things is to have a backstage area cause there has been countless times equipment gets swiped, and also and outdoor area "atrium" for people to go out and smoke without going out to the street and what not

so hit me with any and everything you got, cause i know you got something on your mind
a good PA and an even better sound guy. that is THE most important thing. sound guys make or break a venue for me as a musician.

and free water.

and beer.
#DTWD
How big are we talking? The best venues I've been to have raised "lounge" areas to the sides of the floor where patrons can sit and have a drink if they don't want to be eyeball-deep in humanity. I usually stick to these areas until a band I like comes on. Also, in expanding on the atrium idea, I went to a show at a club in Berlin that had a sort of courtyard with a bar just off of the main room. I always thought that was pretty cool.
Listen to mah discs.

And coming soon, THE CLEVER DEVILS VS. THE BLONDES.

Vote for me in the
PA, given, with spare mics. Probably extra cords and 9Vs handy for effects boards JUST IN CASE.

I like smaller crowds to interact with but I don't think yo can control that. I also like stages in which the band can have their gear spread about without getting too far apart (small stage? I got used to playing on a small deck so having more room to walk is nice but I feel weird not being around my fellow musicians and also feel weird not using all the stage).

The ability to have fans interact with you. Maybe not onstage but being able to go and high five them or be like an extension of the crowd.

Backstage stuff I don't really care about.
Quote by primusfan
a good PA and an even better sound guy. that is THE most important thing. sound guys make or break a venue for me as a musician.

and free water.

and beer.

everything he said.

the sound guy at my last gig sucked and the whole gig was bad. so good sound guy. also a bunch of hot girls on the wait staff is always a plus.
There is a war going on for your mind.

If you are thinking, you are winning.

Resistance is victory.

We are building up a new world.
Do not sit idly by.
Quote by Stormx
"yall"?

It's southern dialect, probably created by inbred jackasses who have their heads stuck up the ass of the mid 1800s.

Edit: I've lived in Georgia for years and it still kinda bothers me.
Last edited by Echoplex at Jul 25, 2009,
Quote by primusfan

and free water.

and beer.

Almost exactly the same thing I was going to say.

The sound guy is the most important aspect of a show, imo. Free water wouldn't be too bad either.

It also needs to be big enough for a floor, stage, along with a place the bands can sell merch. I hate playing places and not having a decent area to set up merch.
Write your own lyrics or poetry? Post them HERE for a crit.
Follow me on Twitter
A good audience ( i don't know if that's spelled correct :P)
Squier Standard Telecaster.
Random Ibanez GIO superstrat
Takamine EG440C Maple Blue

Line 6 Spider III 30 w
Blackheart Killer Ant
Blackheart Little Giant

Line 6 Pod X3 Live
Line 6 Toneport UX-2
y'all is actually more progressive than the alternative "you guys." the latter is reminiscent of romance languages describing groups as masculine even if there's only one guy and several girls. y'all is gender inclusive.
#DTWD
Quote by NightEmbers
yeah the sound guy is a given, Im a sound guy plus i have a hand full of friends that can handle the job

but thanks, what else?
A venue with acoustics that flatter the band's sound.
get good mics. don't settle for cheap stuff. get the good ones. seriously.

nothing sucks more than when i'm talking/singing into a mic and it sounds like i'm a crazy evangelist on AM radio.

even worse than that, one time i played a show and had to sing into a drum mic because they didn't have any extra vocal mics.
#DTWD
Quote by primusfan

and free water.

and beer.

This.

I've played many a gig where the sound guy has pretty much ruined us. Bass being louder than everything else? No crazy sound guy. No.

Also, make sure the Stage isn't really small. Make it decently sized, and it should be fine. Smaller bands can move around a bit, and bigger bands wont be totally cramped.
Quote by primusfan
y'all is actually more progressive than the alternative "you guys." the latter is reminiscent of romance languages describing groups as masculine even if there's only one guy and several girls. y'all is gender inclusive.

fuck those liberal texans and their progressive attitudes!

and basically everything primusfan said was dead on. a good PA and sound guy is what every venue I played at DIDN'T have.
yes, sound engineers are key to making a good show, for example, you need a proper mixing board setup, in the hall and not on stage behind the musicians (really stupid move at supernova this one time, the main engineer was backstage...) you need good speakers, and a subwoofer permanently setup, (also look into a drive rack px from dbx. does wonders) a full micing kit for drums, guitars and vocals, plus a d.i. for bass. and don't forget rack gear for the pa, like compressors, gates, reverb, graphic eq, etc.
www.myspace.com/decognition

Guitar Rig:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Godin Freeway
Korg DTR2000 Tuner
Axon Ax100
Hughes & Kettner Triamp Mk||
Boss V-Wah, CE-5, TR-2

Bass Rig:
Ibanez sr700
Ampeg BA600/115
Boss MT-2
Quote by Tubyboulin
I've played many a gig where the sound guy has pretty much ruined us. Bass being louder than everything else? No crazy sound guy. No.

bass louder than everything? ...

... i want to play at that venue.

kidding.
#DTWD
Quote by VoodooChild15
How big are we talking? The best venues I've been to have raised "lounge" areas to the sides of the floor where patrons can sit and have a drink if they don't want to be eyeball-deep in humanity. I usually stick to these areas until a band I like comes on. Also, in expanding on the atrium idea, I went to a show at a club in Berlin that had a sort of courtyard with a bar just off of the main room. I always thought that was pretty cool.

a few hundred heads, tops

could you elaborate on the courtyard... the way im thinking is like a bar thats two sided one the tends to the inside and one that tend to the outside courtyard, that actually sounds cool
Also, make sure you have a legit drum monitor(I can't remember the actual term).

The last few places I've played, they've just put a small wedge up there and I could barely hear shit.

Actually, make sure you at least 3 or 4 wedges for the front of the stage, two huge speakers stacked on top of each other for both sides of the stage.

Also, having a cool lighting system along with fog machines and stuff is always a cool effect, deciding what the band wants.

And try not to place a pole in the middle of the floor where people will be standing.
Follow me on Twitter
Last edited by brandon369852 at Jul 25, 2009,
Quote by 7stringusr
Yes, a conjunction of you all

contraction? a conjunction is a word like "and" or "or".

It's also not really a contraction, because you can easily put words like "didn't" and "haven't" in writing, but "y'all" is exclusively spoken.
Great sound, good aircondition systems and stripper poles. There, you're all set. Also, make sure to give out free tickets to exhibitionist women

S t a i r s s r i a t S

oh, good one! monitors, get good ones. anything that has to do with sound should be top notch, the sound system is the one thing you DON'T want to be cheap with. get the best you can concerning PA, mics and monitors. also, a fog machine is always nice. adds that little shine, and they're only about 60 bucks.

EDIT: lights are important, too. I don't know two ****s about lights, but I believe there are some you can control with a kind of mixing board? I dunno, something light that, and lights that can change colors are awesome. if lights are too expensive, there's this kind of light that projects flowing water that changes colors, and that's also under 100.
Last edited by CoreysMonster at Jul 25, 2009,
Quote by Stormx

It's also not really a contraction, because you can easily put words like "didn't" and "haven't" in writing, but "y'all" is exclusively spoken.

can we get past my accent and talk Venues for a sec
+1 on the well trained sound guy and large stage.
Xbox Live GT: IX Michael IX
I am also one warning away from a perma, (but it's an always active warning) and I'm hardly ever in the pit!

Make sure your staff is nice too. And have a nice place in the back for the bands to chill if it's a big show.
Follow me on Twitter
Last edited by brandon369852 at Jul 25, 2009,
Quote by brandon369852
I am also one warning away from a perma, (but it's an always active warning) and I'm hardly ever in the pit!

always active warning? what's that?
lighting, lot's of venues don't have it. really makes a show look cooler, and more professional. and curtains for the stage. also, an entrance to the stage for behind. coming in from in front of the stage looks like crap
www.myspace.com/decognition

Guitar Rig:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Godin Freeway
Korg DTR2000 Tuner
Axon Ax100
Hughes & Kettner Triamp Mk||
Boss V-Wah, CE-5, TR-2

Bass Rig:
Ibanez sr700
Ampeg BA600/115
Boss MT-2
Try and make your venue all ages. And also, don't prohibit moshing or "dancing" of any kind, let the people do what they want. If you're worried about getting sued just put up fliers saying you're not liable, or something.

And what everyone else has said.

Lights and curtains are nice, but they're not necessities, if you have money left over, you can look in to them.
Last edited by technicolour at Jul 25, 2009,
1. Security guy and cameras to watch the gear.
2. PA system.
3. Soundguy for the PA.
4. Monitors, particularly for the singers.
5. Backstage area. I'm pretty sure even back in the 1960's, places like The Cavern Club in England had them.
6. Stages that are large enough to move about and not feel crowded on, but don't leave you feeling like you need to do a whole bunch of pointless shit to keep the crowd attention.
7. Free drinks, particularly for the vocalist.
8. A good atmosphere. It may be a personal thing, but I wouldn't want to play a club where the music is treated as ambient noise instead of music or something like that.
9. Recordings of everything. CBGB's would record concerts and sell CD's, VHS tapes, DVD's and earlier on cassettes. I personally think this was a brilliant idea ahead of it's time for a club; If you don't have anything by the band you went to see and wanted to check some new music out and wanted to get some of their stuff after the show, really loved that night's set or were just a packrat like me, you could run over to the guy at the mixer and get a copy of the show once they made copies for all the orders. Plus if the bands get a cut of the profits, it may be a draw to some who are more strapped for cash.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 73-78
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 24-7
Last edited by necrosis1193 at Jul 25, 2009,
Quote by primusfan
brandon and corey ... warned for spam.

just kitten

My heart skipped a beat.

I edited in my post so I wouldn't be targeted.

Corey: I was warned twice, then I was perma'd, then I argued against one warning, and they said okay, you're unbanned, but it's your last chance.

TS: Have couches inside along with tables! And have smaller tables that people can chill at during sets, and also bands can advertise their bands shows with fliers by putting them on the tables, and people will see them.
Follow me on Twitter
Quote by primusfan
brandon and corey ... warned for spam.

just kitten

god dammit, I spent a whole minute refreshing the page to argue that it wasn't spam as soon as I could in the FOTB, then I noticed the white text

primusfan, you sly weasel

EDIT: ah, I see, brandon. and couches are a bad idea, kids love to cut them up. you'll be buying new couches every 2 weeks or you'll have couches fit for hobos.
Last edited by CoreysMonster at Jul 25, 2009,
Quote by viper_mike
lighting, lot's of venues don't have it. really makes a show look cooler, and more professional. and curtains for the stage. also, an entrance to the stage for behind. coming in from in front of the stage looks like crap

that was another thing, maybe having a back entrance for the bands to do the loading and unloading in peace without kids all over the place

and someone said Recordings! also a damn good idea to do not only audio but video recordings, i got a best friend that is my video tech i handle the audio and im sure bands would appreciate that little effort
Quote by CoreysMonster

EDIT: ah, I see, brandon. and couches are a bad idea, kids love to cut them up. you'll be buying new couches every 2 weeks or you'll have couches fit for hobos.

At a venue I play almost weekly, they have couches lining the walls, and the only thing that happens to them is people write on them with sharpie.
Follow me on Twitter
Quote by Stormx

no it's not, you just wrote it. I do it all the time. if it can be spoken it can be written.
Page 1 of 2