hi guys
i have a big problem about strumming on electric guitar when playing chords
my problem is when i strum the pick loses his position between my fingers and i cant continue strumming as good as the beginning
my pick thickness is 1 mm and it is hard and stick but my teacher says i must be able to play with this pick.then what is the problem?
you don't have to play with that pick. that is a stupid thing to say.
you could hold the pick tighter.
Earth without ART, is just Eh...
- use a thinner pick
- grip the pick tighter
- stick grip tape on the pick
- use your fingers instead
- use a Paul Gilbert drill
Either hold the pick tighter or try a different way to hold it. For example, if you hold it with your pointer finger perpendicular to your thumb, try curling the pointer finger so that it's parallel with the thumb. That helped me a lot
try using a different size pick, your teacher saying you have to use a 1mm is ridiculous
Without spiritual mentoring, too much freedom can lead to the soul's decay
- Prince
try angling with each down.up motion instead of holding it perfectly straight to the strings.
Use a different pick, and buy a selection of flexi - picks, thick picks for lead and medium (0.5) for a mixture. Also tell your teacher to shut up, its a personal preference, hes being ridiculous. Dont let the man get you down!

Rock on \m/!
When you are past the stage of noob, you then become a geek.....

Epiphones are the way forward! <3
Quote by Mayonaise 812
try angling with each down.up motion instead of holding it perfectly straight to the strings.

This. It will also make them sound better.
Epiphone G-400
Roland Cube 30X
your teacher is a homosexual. tell him that. use whatever pick feels best to play with.
Just check out some video's of how to hold a pick, remember not to be so stiff in your wrisst, and you might want to get a thin pick (0.5 mm) then a thick pick (2.0 mm) to see which one is easier to pick with for you.
Hrm, you could use a thinner pick, or change your pick position.
But i'm not one to ask about pick holding positions, whenever I play, people always tell me i'm holding it wrong!

but seriously, it's personal preference. find something that works for you. Guitar is about being individual, not about being the same. Your teacher is a fool for telling you that you absolutely need to use that one pick.
thanks you all for your answers,so i 'll get a thinner pick , practice and find my best pick position
Quote by Callum_29
Use a different pick, and buy a selection of flexi - picks, thick picks for lead and medium (0.5) for a mixture. Also tell your teacher to shut up, its a personal preference, hes being ridiculous. Dont let the man get you down!

Rock on \m/!

Yes, because changing picks mid-song is so convenient.

Generally speaking, if you want to be able to play controlled and accurately you need a heavier pick - his teacher is right in that respect, thinner picks suck for lead playing. It'll just take time to get used to the heavier one because it requires you to be more accurate and consistent in striking the strings, and that's no bad thing.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
Yes, because changing picks mid-song is so convenient.

Generally speaking, if you want to be able to play controlled and accurately you need a heavier pick - his teacher is right in that respect, thinner picks suck for lead playing. It'll just take time to get used to the heavier one because it requires you to be more accurate and consistent in striking the strings, and that's no bad thing.

I meant in general, so he can chose what he is more comfortable with. Yes thicker picks are good for lead playing but he said hes having "strumming" problems, lead players dont strum quite as much as rythm guitarists, so how about you try and understand what people are saying before you attempt to shoot them down?

And if he doesnt like thick picks who is his teacher to tell him he's wrong? I started only using my fingers then moved to flexi picks then up again untill i now use ones just under a mm, so just use whatever you feel best.
When you are past the stage of noob, you then become a geek.....

Epiphones are the way forward! <3