Yeah, they're having one of those recruitment open day things for Starbucks in my city and I was wondering if I should go for it? I am quite desperate for a job but I don't know if I could deal with customers all day, especially the pretentious gits who frequent coffee shops (no offense to anyone here who does ). I've also heard the training is pretty intensive,a nd I don't even really like coffee that much.

So has anyone worked there and can tell me what to expect? In the job or training or interview or anything?

How can the training be intensive? They're just making and selling coffee.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
Does Dr. Evil's lair count as a Starbuck's?

or the Pequod?
funkyducky

Icing happen when de puck come down, BANG, you know,
before de oder guys, nobody dere, you know.
My arm go comme ça, den de game stop den start up.

Quote by daytripper75
Get To Da Choppa!
I used to work there, it's a pretty mellow place in my opinion. The only thing that I didn't like was that the girls that worked there were pretty stuck up, they always thought that I was checking them out ...and do not steal coffee from them because you're sleepy because that will get you fired, a good example would be me

But like I said, it's better than working at a fast food place...damn I wish I worked there again
#25 for top 100 UGer of 2009
UG's 2nd Funniest UGer and 3rd most likely to be a Serial Killer of 2009, 2nd of 2011
To the people asking about the training, I was reading this whilst posting

http://www.teaandcoffee.net/0104/coffee.htm

Training, as I mentioned before, initially begins with what I would like to call “Starbucks University.” Many were ready to get behind the bar and experience hands-on training immediately. So, when I handed them a large spiral book and told them they had six hours to complete the sections, I often received looks of confusion and concern, much like when a teacher hands his students a pop quiz. Each section of the training manual was divided into sections that provided an in depth description of the responsibilities required of all baristas. A written test was given after each section was completed to ensure the partner’s understanding. Usually, a new partner can take two days just finishing the book before they ever touch a cup!

the key is to laugh at the retards, it makes life worth living
~Defiant~
Thanks guys! I'm all motivated now to be working for a global tyrant!

Too bad the thing isn't til Tuesday
Quote by Tire Me.
I think he meant "poster above him."

Right?

i was hoping i would get to post before you baby

Quote by Stormx
^ ew.

come give your uncle a kiss
I know someone who worked in a cafe and she said she hated it, alot of old people went in there and apparently they were really picky, and even if the customers were rude to her she had to be polite, she burnt her hands alot (although thats really down to her clumsiness) and she advised me not to work in a cafe.
WHOMP

Think of that next time you are not allowed to laugh.
Quote by DieGarbageMan
i was hoping i would get to post before you baby

come give your uncle a kiss

Way to Nazi this poor guy's thread.
Quote by NGD1313
Yes, my mom walked in on me getting my carrot skinned.

So I freaked out and flipped the vegetable tray.

There was ranch everywhere.

Quote by zwound
Win

Quote by __Pent__

^^Too bad I can't do this in real life
Quote by Aurex
the key is to laugh at the retards, it makes life worth living

Randal, is that you?
funkyducky

Icing happen when de puck come down, BANG, you know,
before de oder guys, nobody dere, you know.
My arm go comme ça, den de game stop den start up.

Quote by daytripper75
Get To Da Choppa!
well i cant imagine the training can be more intensive than a family owned coffee shop. my parents own one(recently sold) and the hardest thing was memorizing the recipes. still don't got chai down exactly. you gonna run into some pretentious douche bags, but just be nice and don't go out of your way to interact with them save for ringing them up and making their drinks. i think coffee shops are a fun place to work though.
Quote by webbtje
A woman's perspective is great, you get to stare down at least one top without anyone caring.
Little known fact:

Starbucks is owned by Marlboro Cigarettes, who to this day, continue to push tobacco on to youth.