Ok, I had a question I was hoping somebody could help me out with.

My band is playing a show in a couple weeks, and I'm already a bit nervous about it, since it's our first "real" gig. The venue is a 45 minute drive from where I live, so I was planning on using the driving time to listen to some music in the car that might help with my nerves. I'm debating between something hard and loud (ie. Zeppelin, AC/DC, etc...) that will make me want to jump up and down and sweep up my nerves in adrenaline or something soft and relaxing (ie. Kid A, Pink Floyd) that will chill me out. Which do you guys think would be more effective?

Thanks in advance.
The statement below is true.
The statement above is false.

Quote by ac/dc_freak91
Sweet! Thank you good sir, you've saved my ass!

what kind of music are you going to be playing?

i'd say a mixture, maybe relaxing until right before the gig and then play something to get you pumped up.
Sounds like your nerves are already high! I'd play something that reflects how you're feeling.

I predict that if you play something hard and loud it will actually calm you down more so than softer music. I find when nervous if I put on Coldplay or something similar it will actually make me MORE nervous than if I go to Extreme or Faith No More.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Just my opinion, but silence can be nice. I hate the noise most people play between sets. Usually people are tying to talk to each other. Leave it alone. If you play anything, male it ambient, and low. The audience is there to hear you, or other bands, not canned music. Sorry, one of my pet peeves.
I always listen to the classical radio station. Not for irony (I used to play in a metal/hard rock band, now in a metalcore band), but simply because it lets you get lost in your thoughts. It also doesn't give you headache.
Quote by chokmool
Just my opinion, but silence can be nice. I hate the noise most people play between sets. Usually people are tying to talk to each other. Leave it alone. If you play anything, male it ambient, and low. The audience is there to hear you, or other bands, not canned music. Sorry, one of my pet peeves.

I wholeheartedly agree!

Unfortunately the OP is talking about what music to play in his car
Soundcloud
AlanHB
Damn, dude you're paying more attention than I am. Another good reason for me to get out of here.

The answer is still the same. Before I play a gig, I'm running all the possibilities through my tiny mind. I have no interest in listening to another band. I guess it is called "focus". I have to perform, and the less extraneous thoughts the better.
Quote by chokmool
AlanHB
Damn, dude you're paying more attention than I am. Another good reason for me to get out of here.

The answer is still the same. Before I play a gig, I'm running all the possibilities through my tiny mind. I have no interest in listening to another band. I guess it is called "focus". I have to perform, and the less extraneous thoughts the better.

Wow that's really interesting! Before a gig I try to get myself into the calmest state possible, without going to sleep of course. I couldn't do this in silence driving to a gig because my mind would be preoccupied on the gig ahead and I'd start to get all worked up in the car

I don't want to get worked up because when I'm in that hightened state I can easily overlook little details, and I need to keep calm and on the ball to set up quickly and soundcheck, identifying and fixing any issues that may come up before the gig. If my heart is racing by the time I get on stage, it increases the possibility that I'll screw up somehow.

Like the time I couldn't fix my tone because I was in that hightened state, I was trying everything possible. Until I calmed down a little and realised my wah pedal was on. Best 5 minutes ever!

However I guess that's key to knowing how your body will react in different circumstances. Do what's right for you!
Soundcloud
I listened to one of your songs. We play very different genres. With what we play, angst is good I appreciate your music, we just go about it differently. Like you say, you have to figure out what works for you.
You could take that even further - could it be that you should set different states of mind depending on the energy level that's required for your genre of music for the night?

I play in a couple of bands - but the songs recorded are definately from the cruisiest one
Soundcloud
this is true...soft music does make you nervous if you already feel that way. Also, I like music from the PA between sets as long as its fairly low and they are classic Pa tunes like Doctor, Doctor and Sabbath bloody Sabbath
GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
AlanHB, maybe I could adapt what what Stanislavki did for acting with "The Method".

On second thought, the last thing we need is a bunch of methot guitarist running around free.
Inuit throat singing. Do it.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
maybe work out a pre-show ritual with the guys/girls in your band for this kinda thing. If you're off having a good time with friends you won't be as nervous.
Before my bands first "gig" we sat around with our girlfriends, chugged a monster BFC, and just non-stop tuned our instruments.

Um.... probably notsoft music i'd say. Something that'll get you pumped.
Quote by wannabe jesus
If we did tune using the 5th fret on the G string it'd be a C. At the moment it goes G B which stands for George Bush. So obviously GB doesn't want you to C the truth! To the conspiracy cave!
Seek and Destory - Metallica
TNT - AC/DC
Immigrant - Zeppelin
The Trooper - Iron Maiden

Its a great mixture to get yourself thinking about your music and getting pumped

EDIT: Also, turn the bass on your stereo/rado all the way up. MAke sure you feel the music, not just hear it.
Hey!Everyone!
Come and See how good I look!

You Stay Classy, Ultimate Guitar
Last edited by mr gOiD at Jul 26, 2009,
Quote by chokmool
AlanHB, maybe I could adapt what what Stanislavki did for acting with "The Method".

On second thought, the last thing we need is a bunch of methot guitarist running around free.

Method guitarists hey! Why limit preparation to mere hours before when you can take it further?

For example;

Cover band - spend the entire day copying everyone else's actions, but interpret them in your own way.

Metal band - tell your boss to stuff himself and break your computer screen on your head. All in the pursuit of sticking it to da man.

Pop band - just be annoyingly happy and nice to everyone. Play up all your actions and fake empathy a lot.

Fund raiser for Africa - Don't eat for the week before hand. Sell your daughter for a goat.

Any other suggestions?
Soundcloud