Seeing as I'm moving into a small flat soon, I've been looking into getting an electronic drumkit for keeping the noise down and remaining on good terms with the neighbours whilst being able to play drums in my room.

I have no idea though about electronic kits and so I was wondering whether UGers can help me out? What should I look for? Are they playable live?

Thanks!
As much as I prefer drum machines for electric/electronic sounds, I'd go with a Roland. A buddy of mine has one, not sure what model, but they all seem to come with 808 and 909 sounds which makes any product awesome.
Quote by xaviergray
As much as I prefer drum machines for electric/electronic sounds, I'd go with a Roland. A buddy of mine has one, not sure what model, but they all seem to come with 808 and 909 sounds which makes any product awesome.

Rolands are awesome but expensive.
You like Rush and Def Leppard?

....go for a Simmons SDS-V.
funkyducky

Icing happen when de puck come down, BANG, you know,
before de oder guys, nobody dere, you know.
My arm go comme ça, den de game stop den start up.

Quote by daytripper75
Get To Da Choppa!
Electronic drum kits will be nice to practice with, but in terms of playing live, I would go with the accoustic set. I've always found electrics live take away from a show. There doesn't seem to be as much energy from the drummer.
Main Setup:
Charvel So-Cal

Dunlop Volume
Digitech Tuner
Custom Compressor
VFE Blues King
Ibanez TS9 30th Anniv
Boss DD20
Boss NS2
MXR 10 Band EQ
Hardwire Supernatural
Loop-Master 2 Channel Looper

Mesa Single Rec
rolands kick ass,some yamahas are pretty good too
ಠ_ಠ
<|>
/ω\

Tell me what nation on this earth, was not born of tragedy-Primordial
Quote by DirtyMakik
You like Rush and Def Leppard?

....go for a Simmons SDS-V.

Will look it up in a minute...
Quote by lefthandman9876
your not gonna get a good one unless you spend an absolute fortune, im having the same dilemma, i tried some £300 kits yesterday and were all atrocious!

I'm willing to pay up to £500 if I can find one I like...
Quote by Fassa Albrecht
Will look it up in a minute...

funkyducky

Quote by daytripper75
Get To Da Choppa!
Quote by benonbass1
I doubt you'll be able to get a very good one for £500.

You CAN get a decent kit for that money IF you look. I played a kit today and it seemed fine for £550.
At my band's first ever live show, the school talent show, there were some electronic drums.

For the first part, the snare drum lead came out. Then after we won, we were supposed to do a big finale, but the drums just fully conked out.
Hull City A.F.C

Quote by Thrashtastic15
crunkym toy diuckl;ess ass ****igkjn ****** **** bitch ass pussy ****er douchecanoe ****** **** you s omn cnt you lieet le biutch
Quote by xaviergray

+1 to the roland, all their stuff is awesome...i love my roland keyboard.

My friend had the same problem as you, so he bought an electric kit but he said it was nothing compared to a proper kit, so he sorted out an agreement with his neighbors (he lives on a tightly packed estate) and bought an acoustic kit, and only plays it when his neighbors give their say so, but he says its worth it. Electric kits can't compare to a real kit unless you spend thousands of pounds/dollars, so maybe it's worth looking into making a deal with your neighbors, they can't be that bad....
Quote by MOODY17
+1 to the roland, all their stuff is awesome...i love my roland keyboard.

My friend had the same problem as you, so he bought an electric kit but he said it was nothing compared to a proper kit, so he sorted out an agreement with his neighbors (he lives on a tightly packed estate) and bought an acoustic kit, and only plays it when his neighbors give their say so, but he says its worth it. Electric kits can't compare to a real kit unless you spend thousands of pounds/dollars, so maybe it's worth looking into making a deal with your neighbors, they can't be that bad....

If it's anything like my last place, then the chances are that it'll be full of idiot 'international students' who barely speak English. Making any sort of plan is going to be fun. Not.
Quote by Fassa Albrecht
If it's anything like my last place, then the chances are that it'll be full of idiot 'international students' who barely speak English. Making any sort of plan is going to be fun. Not.

Oh dear...then i recommend a roland
Quote by MOODY17
Oh dear...then i recommend a roland

I was playing a Roland today...it seemed very hard to use to me.
Quote by Fassa Albrecht
I was playing a Roland today...it seemed very hard to use to me.

It's simple, right, you get the sticks and hit the pads with em

then form rhythms et cetera
The only electronic kits I've tried are a Roland TD9KX and an Alesis DM5 Pro.

The Roland was pretty good, felt nice to play and could produce some awesome sounds, I also found it relatively simple to edit sounds, unfortunately it cost £1500 and that is before buying a bass drum pedal and stool.

The Alesis sounded very MIDI-like (the Addictive drums software sounds a lot better in my oppinion) and took a lot of work to tweak the settings to make useable sounds, on the plus side though it was less than a 3rd of the price of the Roland. I also tried the standard DM5, with rubber pads, which turned out to be a waste of time.

Personally if I was going to buy one I would save the cash and look for a used Roland, as the Alesis seemed like it would grow annoying very quickly and therfore end up being a waste of £350 that could have been put towards a better kit. The Roland would probably be ok for live use, but the Alesis really doesn't sound good enough.
I've Made You A Drawing of a Giraffe Fucking an Elephant. Notice How His Moustache Looks Just Like Mine.

Your Mother's Got a Penis
Drum shops are open at night?

Yeh, try as many as you can, there are probably ones in between those 2 that sound good and cost less. I'd definately reccomend mesh or real heads though, pads feel wrong
I've Made You A Drawing of a Giraffe Fucking an Elephant. Notice How His Moustache Looks Just Like Mine.

Your Mother's Got a Penis
Quote by eteam_sammy4him
Electronic drum kits will be nice to practice with, but in terms of playing live, I would go with the accoustic set. I've always found electrics live take away from a show. There doesn't seem to be as much energy from the drummer.

I've never seen anyone play live with an electronic set
Quote by Pingis_Or_Death

*refers to the mighty SDS-V*
funkyducky

Quote by daytripper75
Get To Da Choppa!
Quote by Pingis_Or_Death

Rick Allen wants a word....
Quote by Fassa Albrecht
Rick Allen wants a word....

....with his SDS-V
funkyducky

Quote by daytripper75
Get To Da Choppa!