Hey there.

I thought you guys might like to see what i've been doing with my Bc. Rich recently.

The guitar is a seriously bad Kerry King signature and i have always been wanting to do a repaint, so i thought it'd be cool to do the Zakk Wylde kind of bullseye on a V.

So first off, i put a key into the existing laquer and sprayed some white primer on sanding off any impurities after, then adding more coats of primer. Then it came to putting on the off white colour. I have just finished the off white colour, and it is ready for masking.

Photos of the off white will be on tomorrow seeing as my computer doesnt have the right programs to import pictures.

Updates will be added

Thanks for taking interest!
Gear!
Jackson RR3 with EMGs!
B.C. Rich KKV
Yamaha F-310 Acoustic

Digitech Bad Monkey.

Peavey Valveking 112
What Kerry King Signature is it?
The cheap one, with a Hardtail, and BC Rich Pups, or the Real one witha Floyd, and whatever expensive pickups he has in it(EMG 83/85 maybe?)

I got the cheaper one, without knowing it.
Mines the Warlock.

I think it'll look pretty sweet the way you described. I'm still happy with the flamey stuff on mine right now.

EDIT: Good Luck with the rest of this!
..I was watching my death.
Quote by timbit2006
What Kerry King Signature is it?
The cheap one, with a Hardtail, and BC Rich Pups, or the Real one witha Floyd, and whatever expensive pickups he has in it(EMG 83/85 maybe?)

I got the cheaper one, without knowing it.
Mines the Warlock.

I think it'll look pretty sweet the way you described. I'm still happy with the flamey stuff on mine right now.

EDIT: Good Luck with the rest of this!

Its the hardtail one. I think the good ones have a Kahler trem
Gear!
Jackson RR3 with EMGs!
B.C. Rich KKV
Yamaha F-310 Acoustic

Digitech Bad Monkey.

Peavey Valveking 112
Quote by Oosh.
Its the hardtail one. I think the good ones have a Kahler trem

The older good ones have a Floyd Rose. I'm pretty sure on that one.
Quote by timbit2006
The older good ones have a Floyd Rose. I'm pretty sure on that one.

Ah right, you learn something new every day! Anyway, photos up tomorrow, masking will be done and black paint maybe.
Gear!
Jackson RR3 with EMGs!
B.C. Rich KKV
Yamaha F-310 Acoustic

Digitech Bad Monkey.

Peavey Valveking 112
Quote by Oosh.
Ah right, you learn something new every day! Anyway, photos up tomorrow, masking will be done and black paint maybe.

I'm not sure if it's real, or licensed though.

Can't wait to see the pics.
First picture, this is the white coat. I think its looking nice, not perfect but im happy to move on with it!

EDIT: Forgot to point out, there was a hole i drilled through the top, underneith the bridge pickup cavity, filler does a great job
Attachments:
guitarr.jpg
Gear!
Jackson RR3 with EMGs!
B.C. Rich KKV
Yamaha F-310 Acoustic

Digitech Bad Monkey.

Peavey Valveking 112
Last edited by Oosh. at Jul 26, 2009,
Update!

All masked ready for cutting out.
Attachments:
Image0016.jpg
Gear!
Jackson RR3 with EMGs!
B.C. Rich KKV
Yamaha F-310 Acoustic

Digitech Bad Monkey.

Peavey Valveking 112
This is the almost final spraying!

All there is now is laquer and to put it all back together. I think its pretty nice seeing as its my first re-paint. Few fuzzy edges but hey!
Attachments:
Image0017.jpg
Gear!
Jackson RR3 with EMGs!
B.C. Rich KKV
Yamaha F-310 Acoustic

Digitech Bad Monkey.

Peavey Valveking 112
It looks good, especially for your first paint job.
RIP Jimmy "The Rev" Sullivan
February 10, 1981 - December 28, 2009

My YouTube account:
Savage Redemption

My personal gear:
Schecter Omen-6

Questions? IM me (check my profile)

Just call me Zach
Friend Me!
That looks wicked!

I thought you had a Warlock, not a V.
But there both cool anyways.

Are you doing any mods to it? Like a killswitch, or coil-splitting?

Is it just me, but are your pickup rout's crooked?
Might be an illusion, but the pic sure looks like it is.
Quote by Oosh.
Few fuzzy edges but hey!

Just so you know for next time.

The Blue 3M painter tape is plastic.

As such, it stops paint from creeping under the edges easily.
It also cuts easier than regular masking tape.
Quote by Cal UK

...that's what Skeet always says anyway and he's a sex god.

Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list

I support Shay van Fani
I can supply WD Music, ABM and AllParts products to UK builders at DISCOUNTED prices!
Quote by timbit2006
That looks wicked!

I thought you had a Warlock, not a V.
But there both cool anyways.

Are you doing any mods to it? Like a killswitch, or coil-splitting?

Is it just me, but are your pickup rout's crooked?
Might be an illusion, but the pic sure looks like it is.

Im putting my Jacksons old Seymour Duncans into it, the bridge pup is F-spaced but it saves money and sounds better!

Skeet UK: Its not the paint creeping under the edges, i just took the mask off at the wrong time

divinorum69: No books used, just some painting knowledge and logic!

Is there any way to smooth out the fuzzy edges?
Gear!
Jackson RR3 with EMGs!
B.C. Rich KKV
Yamaha F-310 Acoustic

Digitech Bad Monkey.

Peavey Valveking 112
Last edited by Oosh. at Jul 26, 2009,
Quote by Oosh.
Im putting my Jacksons old Seymour Duncans into it, the bridge pup is F-spaced but it saves money and sounds better!

Skeet UK: Its not the paint creeping under the edges, I just took the mask off at the wrong time

divinorum69: No books used, just some painting knowledge and logic!

Is there any way to smooth out the fuzzy edges?

Probably a bit of both (creep and bad timing), I have experience.

Your solution to the fuzzy edges and chance to take this paint job from "good first try", to "how much did that cost to get done?", lies in pinstriping and lots of clear coat and elbow grease.

I can tell you how to do the pinstriping "effect" and where to get the materials and clear coat.

The elbow grease you will have to provide.

Let me drop a hint:

Quote by Cal UK

I support Shay van Fani
I can supply WD Music, ABM and AllParts products to UK builders at DISCOUNTED prices!
Quote by Skeet UK
Probably a bit of both (creep and bad timing), I have experience.

Your solution to the fuzzy edges and chance to take this paint job from "good first try", to "how much did that cost to get done?", lies in pinstriping and lots of clear coat and elbow grease.

I can tell you how to do the pinstriping "effect" and where to get the materials and clear coat.

The elbow grease you will have to provide.

Let me drop a hint:

I would like to know! I have a can of laquer laying around upstairs if that helps haha.
Gear!
Jackson RR3 with EMGs!
B.C. Rich KKV
Yamaha F-310 Acoustic

Digitech Bad Monkey.

Peavey Valveking 112
Well.

Normally, pinstriping is done with a special brush, special paint and a steady hand, but you can cheat.

Either, buy some of the fineline tape pictured above, or better, search on ebay for "pinstriping tape F51" and buy some.

This tape, has a backing sheet and two bits of tape, with a gap between.

Apply the tape around the curves, keeping the fuzzy area central, between the two tapes.

Now peel off the middle. You will be left with a nice even pair of stripes around each curve.

Now, mask the areas outside of the tape and slightly on to the tape, so that only the fuzzy areas and the edges of the tapes are showing.

Now, with your chosen colour (red, blue, whatever) spray over the guitar with a couple of coats.. Then peel off the masking after 10 mins or so.

Your circles should be perfectly pinstriped.

Ideally, you should have scuffed the current clear coat, by wet sanding at P800 grit on a block first. This flattens the lacquer and provides a key for the pinstriping paint and more lacquer.

So, now, bung on 3 coats of lacquer, let that dry over night, then either wet sand starting with P1200 up to P2000 and buff (Meguiars Scratch X 2.0 from Halfords), or wet sands it again with P800 then apply 3 more coats, then cut and buff it as described after that has cured.

Or just pile the lacquer on, and then let it cure (still use it, but be careful) for a month, THEN cut it and buff it.

Look at that tape on ebay, and all should become clear.
Quote by Cal UK

I support Shay van Fani
Thanks a lot for the help, Skeet UK i will be trying this once i get hold of the tape, but does this just work after you've put laquer over the paint or would it work the same before laquering?

Oh and would the tape go around the curves without folding over itself?
Gear!
Jackson RR3 with EMGs!
B.C. Rich KKV
Yamaha F-310 Acoustic

Digitech Bad Monkey.

Peavey Valveking 112
Last edited by Oosh. at Jul 27, 2009,
Quote by Oosh.
Thanks a lot for the help, Skeet UK i will be trying this once i get hold of the tape, but does this just work after you've put laquer over the paint or would it work the same before laquering?

Oh and would the tape go around the curves without folding over itself?

Yeah it will work, but as I said in my very detailed post, you should flatten (wet sand) the guitar with P800 paper, before you start the pinstriping, so that the paint and subsequent clear coats have something to grip.

You can only spray over lacquer, if it hasn't dried too much (ie when multi coating)...if it has dried, most instructions will suggest you scuff it.
Quote by Cal UK

I support Shay van Fani