My guitar playing is really lacking that whole theory side of things, im looking to learn how to read music and learn that whole other side of the instrument.

So my question to you is, what do you guys/girls recommend for a good book to learn from, or a book you dont recommend

Any information would be of great use, im hoping to go to college next year to study guitar so I need to get myself up to speed before the auditions

thanks a ton!
they're are a lot of good ones, but they are so expensive.

So i would recommend snooping around on ebay and the like
How to play searchbarre chords with ease.
My setup:

Fender Telecaster Blacktop
Epiphone Les Paul Negative
VOX Valvetronix VT-30
Fulltone OCD
Boss FZ-5
Harmony and Voice Leading is an amazing textbook if you're looking to know music theory at that deep of a level. For now, I'd say read the stickied threads on the Music Theory forum. Those are extremely useful, easy to understand, and they're free.
Funny you mentioned this because I just purchased "Music Theory For Dummies" yesterday. I haven't had a chance to start reading it yet, but I've had a flick through, and it seems pretty good.
Quote by gribble
The Creative Guitar series by Guthrie Govan is excellent.

I was just about to recommend this.
Check out my guitar quartet composition The Lone Wolf and you will be rewarded! With a live wolf!

Are you a PROG-HEAD? I am.

Quote by Led Pepplin
I'm adding you to my list of most hated UGers.

Quote by GoldenBlues
Funny you mentioned this because I just purchased "Music Theory For Dummies" yesterday. I haven't had a chance to start reading it yet, but I've had a flick through, and it seems pretty good.

I was going to recommend this (or The Complete Idiot's version which I like a little better). It's nothing advanced, but it's a good start, and a hell of a lot less than a textbook.
Fretboard Logic, look it up on amazon.
Any spelling or grammatical errors written above are because of my inferior brain to yours. Good job, you won life.