no, it's not meant for anyone to brag (much). There is actually a practical use for this thread. I'm sure other intermediate guitarists like myself would like to know the kind of speeds we can hope to achieve. And try answering in terms of bpms, not song titles.
I'm An Ultimate Weapon From The Panet Nebutron Who Has Come To Earth So That I May Be The Fastest Alternate Picker In The World...
erm...16th notes at about 200 bpm i think. maybe faster or slower give or take. i know i'm fast (not meant to brag), but i always strove for rhythm and control more.
are we talking a single note, or accurately and string skipping kinda stuff?

GUITARS CURRENTLY USED
Ibanez RG7621
Ibanez RG121
ESP LTD H-400
Quote by Tone Deaf
Someone has had too much jager in their slushy. :/
Quote by CL/\SH
First person on UG to be a grammar nazi and use the correct form of "your" in the correct context.

+ 70 virgins to you, my good sir.

Quote by Fassa Albrecht
Girls DO fap...I don't though.
Not sure, but I have an alternate picking skill on my profile. I'm pretty good with alternate picking though, I wish I was good as good with sweeping as with Alternate picking.
I think I go as fast as it is possible to, while still sounding good... with hardcore being my main genre it's used all the time.

Genericore is good practice.
Quote by Primate-Primus
^if there was such thing as a wrong opinion, that would be one of them.
tremolo picking. maybe like 12-14 nps. I never really measured it.

Accurate and clean 3 notes per string maximum is only around 6-7 notes per second (up from about 5 nps just a month ago, I really started working on it). Sloppily with improper muting and hand positioning i can hit maybe 10 notes per second, but that doesnt really count now does it :P

only been playing for 11 months btw.
i can play clean till about 190 bpm, but from 200 onwards i get somewhat sloppy. you can check it on my profile.
I don't mean what I write in my posts.So don't argue back on it,and don't check me..Because,though I don't mean them,they are the only way I can increase my post count.
16th notes at 250BPM for tremolo picking, for actual alternate, uh, like maybe 16th notes and about 110BPM.
Quote by aldo47
(i thought hot strings would make me finger faster.)
so i tried to set my strings on fire by putting a lighter on the high e string n it cut it so wtf??!!? i passed the lighter rrly slowly by it for less then a sec n then it snapped...
Alternate picking about 12nps if im warmed up and have a good day. On the bad days i can push 9-10 nps.
I pick as fast as I need to for whatever I'm playing.
Quote by SteveHouse
This thread is officially about sucking Sleaze off for a sig.

Quote by tayroar
Hey Sleaze I'll give you a blowjob if you sig me. Maybe even some nudey photos?

Quote by crazy8rgood

Sleaze, that made me lulz in my pants.

Quote by 36mikeyb36
hahaha Sleaze i'd give you my mom for that one.
What's the use of playing 1000 notes per second if your left hand can't match those?

I can hit 880bpm, open E string ( .12) and keep that speed clean for a minute at least, but I never do so.
Current gear:
Carvin CT6M
TC Electronics Dark Matter distortion
Harley Benton 2x12, with Celestion V30s
Laney Ironheart 60w tube amp
Alt picking sextuplets at about 115-120.

Legato slightly faster.

All fear my string skipped Am7 arpeggios though

Quote by LordPino
880bpm

wat
Last edited by griffRG7321 at Jul 26, 2009,
Well my alternate picking is really sloppy at the moment, but I'm doing exercises to improve it.I can only do 16ths at 170 BPM with it being perfectly clear. Anything faster than that and I start hitting open notes or missing strings, and that's kinda embarrassing when taking into consideration that I've been playing for 2 years.
tremelo pick: 12 nps
string skipping: 10 nps

on really good days its probably higher, but on most days is this

Quote by LordPino
I can hit 880bpm, open E string ( .12) and keep that speed clean f

or a minute at least, but I never do so.

880 quarter notes right?
or 220 16th notes?

Quote by Gunpowder
Thrashturbating? Most metal of all ways to pleasure oneself.
Like 16th notes at 120 BPM . I've been stuck at this speed probably almost as long as I've been playing which is 2 years, I just don't seem to be able to improve.
Fear the Evil Chainsaw Wielding Penguin...
I can do about 175 comfortably but if I want I can really try and I max out at about 190-200 (using Metal Militia as a gage). Still practicing though.
Your life burns faster!

Gear: Esp Kirk Hammett signature series Ltd. KH-202
I can do 110 bpm at 16th notes. If I am really good, I can go 120.
Zeppelin owns all
A recent study shows that 92% of all teenagers have moved on to rap music. Put this in your sig if you are one of the 8% who stayed with real music.
Quote by Not a Les Paul
Let me put it this way: My alternate picking sucks so hard I'm faster just downpicking it.

Same here.
Fear the Evil Chainsaw Wielding Penguin...
Quote by LordPino
What's the use of playing 1000 notes per second if your left hand can't match those?

I can hit 880bpm, open E string ( .12) and keep that speed clean for a minute at least, but I never do so.

thats BS. absouluetly. proof, mp3s or gtfo. considering the world record is 1680bpm and hes been playing shred for 40 years
Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength, while loving someone deeply gives you courage.
On an actual non-Chromatic/non Repetitive Fingering/3 Note per string scale? 23-24 Notes per second, or a 15 note run At 94 BPM That I can Go up and Down. But Thats Being tensed up, and only able to maintain for 15 Seconds, and The idea of it Is basically Reserved for a "Holy S**t" part of a song.

Comfortably, relaxed, and Steady? 18NPS on a scale is a pretty good estimate.

And most comfortable is around 15NPS, which Ive been able to hold for 30 minutes.

And don't even get me started on a 38NPS, 19Note Sweep Tapping lick.
Chromatics and tremolo picking with actual control over it: 16th notes @ 180bpm
Besides being a guitar player, I'm a big fan of the guitar. I love that damn instrument. Steve Vai

Gear:
Kramer Striker FR422SM
Roland Microcube
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Tortex 1.14mm picks

MY VIDEOS
Quote by Life Is Brutal
On an actual non-Chromatic/non Repetitive Fingering/3 Note per string scale? 23-24 Notes per second, or a 15 note run At 94 BPM That I can Go up and Down. But Thats Being tensed up, and only able to maintain for 15 Seconds, and The idea of it Is basically Reserved for a "Holy S**t" part of a song.

Comfortably, relaxed, and Steady? 18NPS on a scale is a pretty good estimate.

And most comfortable is around 15NPS, which Ive been able to hold for 30 minutes.

And don't even get me started on a 38NPS, 19Note Sweep Tapping lick.

Just listening to your mp3s, and no you can't.