Okay. So IIRC, old TVs are made with vacuum tubes, right? If so, is there anyway I could plug into and play through an old TV? I've got one from the 70s in my basement. Is this possible?

EDIT: I'm not joking. I really do want to try this.
Last edited by MadAudioMan at Jul 25, 2009,
Buy an adapter to plug youg your guitar into it?
Fender Mexi Strat
FuzzFace/Rangemaster
Boss RC-2
Line 6 Flextone III XL
Ibanez aw20ce

FS/FT
Boss TU-2
Marhsall BB-2
Digitech Digiverb
Digitech PDS1700
535q wah
speakers will suck, and yes, finding the adapter will be a trick if they even have one. you would probably be best served by removing the amp from the TV and wiring an input jack to it.

but still, i haven't really heard of old TV's with audio tube amplifiers before, might be there, but i know they have cathode ray tubes for the visual signal. sure you aren't just getting that mixed up?
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
I did something like this once, I plugged the headphone out of my rp350 into a headphone to RCA converter cable and plugged it into my tv.....sounded like fried ass.
Quote by MadAudioMan
Oh. I thought TVs had like some EL-84s inside >_> not some other kinds of tubes...

Almost worth quoting. No offense ts, you were just thinking out of the box.
Fender Mexi Strat
FuzzFace/Rangemaster
Boss RC-2
Line 6 Flextone III XL
Ibanez aw20ce

FS/FT
Boss TU-2
Marhsall BB-2
Digitech Digiverb
Digitech PDS1700
535q wah
Quote by khfan23
Almost worth quoting. No offense ts, you were just thinking out of the box.

He's most likely confusing valves (vacuum tubes) with Cathode ray tubes. But it's not that far fetched actually to think it would be possible to use the audio circuit of a (really) old TV Set to amplify a guitar.

Before the invention of transistors every electronic circuit needed to have "vacuum tubes" aka valves for any kind of non-linear function. This means all sorts of amplifiers, radios, Televisions, etc...

For example:
http://valveradio.co.uk/page14.htm

This one has 4 tubes in the audio circuit:
V11 EF80 SOUND I.F AMPLIFIER
V12 EF80 SOUND I.F.AMPLIFIER
V13 EB91 SOUND DETECTOR
V14 PL33 SOUND OUTPUT VALVE

I wouldn't bet on it sounding any good though...

EDIT: Actually, these systems even used EL84's!
http://valveradio.co.uk/page6.htm

Actually Leo Fender designed the first Fender amps based on the circuits of RCA where he worked before creating Fender!
Last edited by DavePT at Jul 25, 2009,
Hahahaha. I have a 1/4"-A/V cable...I kinda want to try.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Way to show everybody up jackass.

Guitar: _______________ Amp:
_ Ibanez SZ320 _________Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

V-Picks!
Quote by MadAudioMan
Okay. So IIRC, old TVs are made with vacuum tubes, right? If so, is there anyway I could plug into and play through an old TV? I've got one from the 70s in my basement. Is this possible?

EDIT: I'm not joking. I really do want to try this.

Nice idea, but the TV's from the 70's were past using vacuum tubes for sound, I'm almost positive.
Maybe one from the 50's might have some tubes in the audio amplifier.

Funny how television makes the most technological advances in the shortest amount of time in our society.
This only makes my desire to find an old intercom or PA system and turn it into an amp even stronger. I had never considered TVs.
Make an extreme pitch shifter, to convert your guitar signal into TV signal. Then you could play colours.
A metal band?
Gear:
A Guitar with an LFR > Korg Pitchblack > Behringer EQ > Hardwire CM-2 Overdrive Boss SD-1 > Hardwire CR-7 Chorus>
Orange Tiny Terror >
LzR Engineering 212 cab

My other amp can run Crysis
Lol, this thread is about as bad as the one about putting a Gameboy soundcard in a pickup cavity....
Quote by greggybhoy
Lol, this thread is about as bad as the one about putting a Gameboy soundcard in a pickup cavity....

Yeah, it's the same logic as "putting rocket fuel in your car will make it fly".
Quote by FischmungaXTR
Make an extreme pitch shifter, to convert your guitar signal into TV signal. Then you could play colours.

oh-hohoho
Well, that gameboy pickup thing didn't make any sense. This might actually be possible in some way.
Quote by BrickIsRed
CNN will give you the best tone.

Word

Actually, doesn't Metasonix make amps and pedals using old radio and TV tubes? Sounds ridiculous, with crazy amounts of grit and weird oscillations, but it can be done.

So, while I don't think you can play through a TV per se, you probably could find a way to utilize it's parts
Quote by Mr. Jiggy Fly
Word

Actually, doesn't Metasonix make amps and pedals using old radio and TV tubes? Sounds ridiculous, with crazy amounts of grit and weird oscillations, but it can be done.

So, while I don't think you can play through a TV per se, you probably could find a way to utilize it's parts

Yeah, the good ol' fucking fucker. I think he was just trying to piss NAMM off and failed miserably.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by Kevin Saale
Yeah, the good ol' fucking fucker. I think he was just trying to piss NAMM off and failed miserably.

It's funny, because it sounds like a warmer Devi Ever fuzz, but it costs $5000.

It was funny though.

"The ****ing ****er: cause I don't care anymore."
I did it once. I plugged a headphone to rca thing in the headphone jack on my amp then plugged the rca's in the tv.
What would happen if you put a your guitar signal through a cathode ray tube?

A cool light show?
If video games make you violent, does monopoly make you a millionaire?
Even if you could, it would sound utterly ****e.
Quote by AcousticMirror
Is my album list pointing a gun or a penis to your head saying buddy this thing is going to unload if you don't listen to the whole damn clip??
Older TVs did use valves, but I reckon your TV is far too modern. Either way, it wouldn't work - just because something uses valves doesn't mean it's of any use to guitar. Many fighter jets have used vacuum tubes, but it doesn't mean you could plug in your guitar and wail away at Mach 2....