Hey fellow guitarists, I've been playing for about 16 months at this point, and my biggest influences are guys like Joe Satriani, Steve Vai, John Petrucci, and basically just the virtuosos who give their guitars a voice. So anyways, I'm looking for an amp at this point--mine certainly doesn't fit the bill... it's... terrible. When I jam with my friends they admire the skill I can bring to the table, but without fail tell me about how poor my amp is in comparison; it doesn't quite do what I'm playing justice. So naturally I'm in the market for an amp, and willing to drop up to around 350 bucks on it. So the only ideas I have up right now are the following:

Line6 Spider III 120:
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Line-6-Spider-III-120-60Wx2-2x10-Stereo-Guitar-Combo-Amp-103944740-i1168991.gc

Fender Frontman 212R:
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Fender-Frontman-212R-100W-2x12-Guitar-Combo-Amp-104506076-i1323510.gc

Now, I know quite well that the Line6 is widely considered very excellent for metal sounds (and I do have a good bit of fun playing metal), but I'm a player of not only metal, but primarily hard rock and your Satriani-style rock. So the issue I'm confronted with is: how do I find the amp that can give me all the distortion and fun of metal, but still be able to pull Joe Satriani type tones? Now I'm well aware that a guitar god's tone isn't going to be something you can get through just an amp plugged into any guitar, but I'm looking for a really wide range of tones here. Joe is by far my biggest inspiration and I practice several hours a day to someday come anywhere near his ability!
So anyways, thanks in advance guys, I'll be taking a trip to Guitar Center pretty soon to play around with amps all day and it'd be awesome if you guys could give me some cool ideas to look for while I'm there seeking out that perfect amp!
AHAHAHA, 'widely considered very excellent for metal sounds' and you're referring to the spider? I smell a troll.

Seriously, avoid the spider, the frontman's not much better, if you don't need excessive volume then the blackstar ht-5 would be a great purchase.
get a peavy vypyr they have a joe satriani amp setting on there and it is 300 dollars and is really loud
TBH, I would look at anything but the Spider and the Frontman.

I'd recommend a Peavey Vypyr. I've never played any Blackstars, but I hear they're good budget amps.
Quote by Tone Deaf
Someone has had too much jager in their slushy. :/
Quote by CL/\SH
First person on UG to be a grammar nazi and use the correct form of "your" in the correct context.

+ 70 virgins to you, my good sir.

Quote by Fassa Albrecht
Girls DO fap...I don't though.
Last edited by JagerSlushy at Jul 25, 2009,
The general consensus is that both the Spider and the Frontman are pretty terrible amps. Take a look into Peavey Vypyrs and Vox Valvetronixes if you indeed want metal-level distortion and lots of variation in your tones.
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
Line 6 amps are pretty cool for practice and stuff like that, but they don't have too much of a "real" guitar sound like you're after. And my experience with my Spider III 75 watt is that over time the sound loses its edge and becomes "mushy". Also, my spider amp sounds a bit sh*tty when turned up loud.

However, my friend has an amp called the Behringer V-Tone (I think that's what it's called). It has a little less gain, but the tone is much more "real" sounding than the spider's.

I doubt anything I said helped you, but I tried. Good luck.
Quote by glam rocker

Yeah, I just took a look at this puppy, gotta say sounds pretty good! I'm gonna check this out for sure, thanks guys! I know Satch plays a peavey with marshall half stacks for his live stuff, so I was wondering if a peavey might be the way to go. Any more suggestions guys?
Do not get the Peavey Vypyr, it doesn't sound good.

Get a Peavey Ultra, Ampeg VH140C, B-52 AT112, Blackstar HT-5, Laney AOR, Line 6 Flextone, or a Peavey VTM.
Last edited by Mitchell? at Jul 25, 2009,
Quote by Mitchell?
That rig would not be good for hard rock and metal.

It would do Hard Rock and Satriani perfectly.
Have you ever played an OCD?

Metal, it would be lacking, I agree. Still miles better than pretty much every other rig suggested for Hard Rock and Satriani.
Quote by JilaX^
Have you ever played an OCD?

Yeah, I own one, and I was just playing it.
save up another $350 and for $650 you can get an all tube Bugera 6260 2x12 combo and have enough amp for a lifetime. I played one for an hour at GC and it is pretty much just like EVH's old Peavey 5150 but sells for half its price. If your can get ahold of $1300 the Bogner Alchmist cannot be beaten unless you have a tech hot rod some other tube amp but still wont have its flexability.
Quote by CustomCustom
save up another $350 and for $650 you can get an all tube Bugera 6260 2x12 combo and have enough amp for a lifetime. I played one for an hour at GC and it is pretty much just like EVH's old Peavey 5150 but sells for half its price. If your can get ahold of $1300 the Bogner Alchmist cannot be beaten unless you have a tech hot rod some other tube amp but still wont have its flexability.

Yeah, try and save just a little more if that's possible. Also, that Bugera is a clone of the 6505/5150, but if you really want a Satch sound you might be better off with the Bugera 333XL since that's a copy of the JSX.
I have a huge fear if rays.