So for the past 6 or 7 months i have been looking for a new amp. Back then i had no knowledge of amplifiers or what to look for, and after acquiring a lot of that knowledge the search has still gone nowhere, but at least i can identify what I am looking for.

1. I am looking for a lot of body, i use a lot of mids, and if the tone is empty it wouldn't suit my style, im thinking i would want a thick tone without using a lot of gain or od.
2. I don't want a lot of background distortion clouding the tone, which i do get from the solid state amp i own.
3. I don't need a large amp wattage-wize, around 30-45 watts of tube would do for bed practice and band setting, it should be able to compete with drums easily.
4. The amp has got to be good at high volumes, i understood tube amps generally are, but i don't want more unwanted noise as the volume knob is pushed up, and i'd rather not buy a noise gate, or use one. but i could.
5. I would like a presence or contour knob, but it's not absolutely necessary
6. Number of channels isn't important either
7. Whether it's a combo or a stack it doesn't matter.

I don't know how many amps could follow under what im looking for, but if an amp is suggested with some pedals to try to achieve a lot of what i would want than i can do that too, price range is not a worry, i can always save and wait.

btw i play a Dean Ml '79, which is mahogony body and neck, and a rosewood fretboard.

Thanks UG
not really a budget, i have a grand set aside, and i could save up another grand easily in the next few months if i have too.

genres, hard rock.... sometimes a little harder, metal-like. i've looked at some JCM's but have not played any, but im looking at all options right now.

as far as a specific tone, i was thinking The Answer as far as rhythm, and a Tony Iommi lead, the heaven and hell Iommi that is.
good body, maybe a marshall jcm800??
To buy:

Line 6 MM4
Voodoo Lab power
Mesa Boogie Single rectifier
Done
Boss TU-3 Done
Shure SM58 Done

OUCH MY WALLET
definitly check out the JCM
To buy:

Line 6 MM4
Voodoo Lab power
Mesa Boogie Single rectifier
Done
Boss TU-3 Done
Shure SM58 Done

OUCH MY WALLET
that's the single channel right? i've heard very good things about that, and from what i know it's $2500 to get one. I could save up for one.
2500? No way lol.

You really shouldn't spend 2 grand without having personally tried several amps.
WTLTL 2011
You can get a JCM800 between $800 and $1,000.
Easily. Check your locals craigslist.

If you don't want to spend that much, you can find a JCM2000 50 watt head for about $500.
Quote by britishsligean
marshall dsl401, peavey valveking 112, peavey classic 30 or 50

1 to 2 grand budget and you recommend those? for real?

/facepalm
WTLTL 2011
i don't have a cab to run a head through, im using a combo amp now, so i would have to buy the halfstack which is substantially more, but if i could find the jcm 800 combo somewhere i would definitely do that,

after playing it elsewhere of course.
@TS
what kinda tone are you after? extreme versatility? or something specific? will this be the only amp you have for some time?

if this was to be a one shot deal for the best amp you can get to last you for years, i'd go with a music man. i have many, many amplifiers and so far they have been the best bang for the buck. they area hybrid design, but they also have headroom far beyond what you would expect. many come with tremelo's, reverb or phasers too. i have a 150 212hd(2x12 combo with ceramic speakers and 4x6L6GC power tubes, reverb and phaser) for about 500 bucks, a 115-65(1x15 eminence alnico speaker with 2x6CA7, aka american el34's, with reverb and tremelo) for about 600 bucks and a 130hd(4x6CA7 power tubes and a 12AX-7 phase inverter, head) for about 600. the 130hd head was in immaculate condition, real collector's piece.

all the amps sound great, have all the headroom you want and have stood the test of time. i would recommend the 4x10 65 series or the 2x10 65 series, as those are the more sought after ones for different reasons.

if that doesn't sound good, you at least need to narrow it down to, do you want a head/cab setup or a combo amp setup. putting some target tones up would be helpful
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Quote by Deanwings79
i don't have a cab to run a head through, im using a combo amp now, so i would have to buy the halfstack which is substantially more, but if i could find the jcm 800 combo somewhere i would definitely do that,

after playing it elsewhere of course.

The first link [The JCM2000] had a cab with it for $1,100.
It looks like a 1960a cab, which would be awesome to play though.

It's your $1,000 budget.
And it's better [in my opinion] if you have the space than paying $900 for a 1x12.
i targeted a hard rock tone earlier, with the answer rhythm and a tony iommi lead

i know nothing about music mans let alone have seen any in my local guitar center to play one, but it can't hurt to check them out.

as for halfstack vs combo it really doesn't matter to me. A halfstack is more versatile as you can always get a new cab to adjust, but it doesn't really matter.

as far for effects, i dont' really need any, reverb would be nice, same with delay, but i could get a delay pedal.
So if
http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/msg/1274293275.html
is in your area, that is what I would tell you to check out.

It's a really nice deal, actually.

The cab itself will go for around $450.

Then, you have a head that jumps between $700 and $800.

It's 100 watts, more power, but you don't have to use it all. It will give you nice headroom.

The distortion is exactly what you're looking for.
so you did say that... well it sounds like a marshall sound may be for you. i personally have an orange OR50H for that role. i can't complain about tone. i match it with a 16 ohm modified orange ppc212 cabinet. i replaced the v30's with pre-rola doped weber speakers, 1 12" alnico blue dog and 1 12" ferromax silver bell. each speaker is rated for 100 watts, so it'll handle all my heads, i also had the speakers wired for 8 ohms stereo as well as 16 ohms mono, so i can run 2 heads at once. this setup is... convincing. it has a very nice classic rock feel.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae